• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What did you do to your 2002 today !

Finally got my aftermarket plates after getting the car registered last week. 
officially in my name now! 

image.thumb.jpeg.e9409c1af36af721a52834f07f928701.jpeg

In other news I also gave my e39 M5 a much needed oil change. Outside, and it decided to rain torrentially when I did. Lol. 
image.thumb.jpeg.4e3f93c00d9593254d43a6f0c5374a7f.jpeg

if any of my fellow Californians are looking for period correct plates go to 

CALIFORNIA-LICENSE-PLATE.COM

California License Plate The Biggest Store of Replica California License Plates. We Have a Huge Variety of...

for period correct plates of every year. 

• Like 6

2003 e39 M5 (daily)

1986 e30 325es (sons car)

1972 2002tii (fun daily alternative)

7 hours ago, OriginalOwner said:

a little wash, a lotta wax, some ArmorAll

Okay, Carl... The wheels on your car is your signature look; like Johnny Cash wearing black.  For those of us in the cheap seats, can you remember a time when your wheels were clean?   :)

Ed Z

...someone who may clean his wheels several times a week

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

'69 Granada... long, long ago  

'71 Manila..such a great car

'67 Granada 2000CS...way cool

Drove out to Myerstown, PA to meet Tom Bass and gather some history on my 74tii.  Tom was the Sales Manager for Manheim BMW from 1972-1982 and in 1976 sold my 74tii to its second owner Byron Clark of Lebanon, PA.  Tom remembered the car well and shared much I did not know.  He said the car was originally ordered by H.A. Boyd, the owner of Manheim BMW.  Boyd was a BMW distributor servicing PA, MA and DE.  Boyd, Tom said, ordered the car for himself, picked it up in Germany, and drove it around for about a month on vacation in lieu of a rental.  He then had the car shipped back home and sold it at the dealership.  It was a practice, Tom said, that Boyd had done for several years.  Tom also confirmed for me the first owner of the car, a gentleman name Roland "Rollie" Lane from somewhere out of Maryland.  His family, he said, was in the fish business.  I am still trying to find old Rollie.  

Tom spent about an hour with me sharing stories about his life, the car business and selling BMWs in the early 70's.  He got his start in 1968 selling Volkswagons and BMWs at H.A. Boyd Volkswagon in Lebanon, PA.  He said Boyd one year (he thinks 1970) held out a free trip to Europe to any salesman that sold a dozen BMWs.  Tom sold 15.  Boyd took Tom and his wife Janet to Europe for five weeks, paid for everything.  During his time working for Boyd, Tom also recalled meeting Max Hoffman, including lunch in Munich and and going to Hoffman's house in Germany.  Tom said he also saw Hoffman in New York City when Hoffman would host functions for BMW dealers and salespeople.  Tom is 81, born February 1941.  He notes all the other sales guys he worked with in the early 70's selling BMWs have passed on.  The last of a breed.  

• Like 13

1974 2002tii Schwarz 

1973 Bavaria Sahara

1976 2002 Sahara once upon a time

Took the car to my BMW tech guru, Paul McCracken at Chicane Motorsports. My five-speed-swapped car has been eating flex discs too frequently, so I went to Paul for help aligning the driveline better.

We wound up shimming the tail of the gearbox up and the CSB down to get what we wanted for now.

In addition, I am going to try to source a slightly taller transmission mount than what is supplied with the Blunt Tech 5-speed shift kit. That would help smooth things out even more.

BUT ... Wow what a difference! My car drives much more smoothly now, and it shifts better than it ever has! WOOHOO!!!

And just for grins, here's a shot of some of the hardware one finds around Chicane ...

chicanestuff.jpg

• Like 6

Finally Rust Bucket is no more! Some bits went out to fellow faqqers in need, some bits stashed in the barn and the rest is piled in the trailer for the next dump run.

With the help of a big shop vac, my garage has recovered from the chaos dismantling a car with a sawzall creates. Survivor is back inside and there's room enough now to begin assembling an engine for Franzi

IMG_3072.JPG

IMG_3073.JPG

IMG_3074.JPG

IMG_3075.JPG

IMG_3076.JPG

Edited by tech71
  • Like 9

76 2002 Survivor

71 2002 Franzi

85 318i  Doris

50 minutes ago, tech71 said:

Finally Rust Bucket is no more! Some bits went out to fellow faqqers in need, some bits stashed in the barn and the rest is piled in the trailer for the next dump run.

With the help of a big shop vac, my garage has recovered from the chaos dismantling a car with a sawzall creates. 

I know what you went through. I dismantled and sawsall'd an e46 and then an e21. It was a huge relief when the last of the body left the garage. 

• Like 1

Karl B.

1974 2002tii Malaga ("Conrad") -->> Conrad's Restoration Blog

2003 330i ZHP 6-spd

2011 328i xDrive