• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

how fast?

boldtu

The most I've attempted to take my car to is about 90-95. The ansa at high RPM make it sound like I'm about to blow up... AND IT NOT WORTH IT. (and this coming from an 18 year old!) LOL

PS: Im not saying I haven't had any fun in the old tii.. I've showed up a good number new cars up to about 60-75 from stop lights, but then I let them keep going up in speed with out me, as they all just want to redeem their defeat with high speeds...

*go ahead and blow your engines ford focuses*

-Zac

Zac Cardinal

1972 2002tii's Blog

1976 2002 "Margie"s blog

IMG_2146copy.jpg

You is funny!

LOL!

Ray

The reason your speed and temps were off might be due to the effects of that UFO following you at thosde speeds.

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

I've seen a 122 on my digital speedo - which should be accurate as you calibrate it yourself. Could do with an airdam though - front likes to move about with the wind.

Coop told me he had someone follow him in a modern car at an indicated 150+ - I'm not saying he's telling porkies, but I kind of feel he's mistaken. I had an excel spread sheet ages ago that would calculate 'theoretical' top speeds based on gearing, wheel size and revolutions, and I seem to recall his set-up was somewhere in the low 140's, but as the man said, that can't calculate for air resistance.

Anybody got a spreadsheet like this? It could always have been wrong.

avaTour2.jpg.52fb4debc1ca18590681ac95bc6f527f.jpg

I got 160kph, with unbalanced front wheels. No more of that untill the new wheels are on!

holy negative camber batman!!!

02 Golf Yellow cruising the border of NSW/VIC!

tii pistons, 293, double valve springs, 40mm DCOE's, sump baffle, sway bars, lowered, 5spd, big brakes, 3pc wheels, bucket seats. Approx 150+hp

About 110-113 on a gps device in a straight line with my current engine (e30 318i, 4.11 and a 5-speed)

Takes a while though, 105-107 is easy, after that it's taking it's time....

Fastest I've ever driven in my own 02 is about 117 downhill on the Nordschleife (fuchsrohre part, from about 3:00 in my onboard bit, but I'm going a bit slower there, about 110, still, not bad for a 1600)

With a 4-speed and 4.11, so it was revving to about 7000rpm.

Fastest as a passenger was just over 120 in a M42 powered car (with a 5-speed and 4.11)

Did take a while, but the faces of people you were overtaking were worth it.

1975 1602

M42 turbo swap in progress

Foolish younger me, had my first '66 Bug up to 93 after I rebuilt the engine and installed a single Dellorto 40mm DRLA carb. This was about 1985. For you older Bug guys, I installed a later speedo that read to 100 instead of the '66's 90 mph speedo.

Not sure of the speed, but I was holding on in a 2003 E46 M3 piloted by a BMW Test driver on the Michelin Test track in SC (M Driving School). We were "racing" another M3 driver with student passenger. The school was the best experience I've EVER had. FANTASTIC - PUT IT ON YOUR BUCKET LIST.

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

Coop told me he had someone follow him in a modern car at an indicated 150+ - I'm not saying he's telling porkies, but I kind of feel he's mistaken. I had an excel spread sheet ages ago that would calculate 'theoretical' top speeds based on gearing, wheel size and revolutions, and I seem to recall his set-up was somewhere in the low 140's, but as the man said, that can't calculate for air resistance.

I've heard the same story from Coop, It was on I5 and the other cars were modified Subie REXs. Other than the fact he doesn't run a front spoiler I tend to believe it's certainly possible.

There used to be a Taylor guy that worked at Dinan that had a 300+ hp Turbo'd '02 that DID run as fast as 155mph. There was a European Car magazine article about that one. And he used to come to the '02 Fest Wests too.

Now the one that Coop told me about his 12.7 second quarter mile at Sears Point might be a little questionable. There's just not enough tire under a stock fender'd '02 to launch hard enough for that. I believe one might be able to do it with some of those drag radials though. He said he's got the time slip to prove it though. :)

Tom Jones

BMW wrench for 30 years, BMWCCA since 1984 at age 9
66 BMW16oo stored, 67 1600-2 lifelong project, 2 more 67-8 1600s, 86 528e 5sp 586k, 91 318i
Mom&Dad's, 65 1800TiSA, 70 2800, 72 2002Tii 2760007 orig owners, 15 Z4 N20

I've heard the same story from Coop, It was on I5 and the other cars were modified Subie REXs. Other than the fact he doesn't run a front spoiler I tend to believe it's certainly possible.

There used to be a Taylor guy that worked at Dinan that had a 300+ hp Turbo'd '02 that DID run as fast as 155mph. There was a European Car magazine article about that one. And he used to come to the '02 Fest Wests too.

Now the one that Coop told me about his 12.7 second quarter mile at Sears Point might be a little questionable. There's just not enough tire under a stock fender'd '02 to launch hard enough for that. I believe one might be able to do it with some of those drag radials though. He said he's got the time slip to prove it though. :)

yep - scubie story, that's the one. May be my spread sheet was wrong, had a look round but can't find it and picked it up on one of the forums - anyone got something like this? Would be interesting. I for one would be pretty nervous taking an 02 to that kind of speed without any aero aids! But if it's possible you'd have to try.

avaTour2.jpg.52fb4debc1ca18590681ac95bc6f527f.jpg

I'd like Coop to chime in... some people may recall that one year from Davin's house to Palo Alto for the SwapNShow.

My M20 vs. Coop's M2 vs. Coop's M-Coupe and a bunch of other 02's as well Davin in a busted ole truck-- err I mean a great part's hauler.

I remember having the Speedometer pegged for quite some time. With Modern car with an accurate chase speed that day too.

I do seem to recall a bunch of modern cars looking like they were standing still too.

Anybody remember that day?

Make it different... or just do it differently

Bill in Petaluma, CA

1969 1600 supercharged m20 in progress

1970 2002 RIP -- crashed then quartered

1971 2002 M20/02 RIP -- nothing but pieces now

1972 2002 gone, but not missed POS

May be my spread sheet was wrong, had a look round but can't find it and picked it up on one of the forums - anyone got something like this? Would be interesting.

you could try looking earlier in this thread, where I posted the link to the FAQ spreadsheet.

Bring a Welder

1974 2002, 1965 Datsun L320 truck, 1981 Yamaha XS400, 1983 Yamaha RX50, 1992 Miata Miata drivetrain waiting on a Locost frame, 1999 Toyota Land Cruiser

I am not sure. I caravaned with two turbos from Monterey to the Palo Alto show a couple years ago. When their turbo kicked in they were simply gone, just couldn't keep up. On one stretch on 280, however, I kept the car on 4th gear all the way to 6k rpm and then shifted to OD. This time, the car was able to accelerate and keep up. The noise was incredible, the few cars on 280 at that time in the morning, appeared to just stand still. The gas pedal was buried, and it got very scary. How fast? I asked the guys in front: 200 kph! I swear I will never do that again, in any car! It was stupid. I can scratch it from my bucket list now.

72 tii with A4, 292, 3.64 with 5 speed OD.

FAQ Member # 91

72 tii with A4, 292, 3.64 with 5 speed OD.

I just took the FAUX A4 down 280 last night and after driving the 993 for months, I couldn't believe how slow the touring was. Until I look at the speedo. 160kms/hr (98 mph) and that was with too much traffic and not really trying.

Imagine what it could do if the car had reached it full potential...

now: '72 Inka 2000 touring, '82 Alpina C1 2.3  & '92 M5T (daily driver)

before: a lot of old BMWs (some nice, some not so much), a few air-cooled 911s and even a water-cooled Cayman S

Alpina restoration blog: https://www.alpinac1.com/