• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

how fast?

boldtu

During my Germany tour, and after having everyone pass me on the Autobahn while I was driving a Simca stationwagon, I bought my first '71 2002 and honestly drove it at 106 EVERY time I was on the Autobahn. It was new and I felt very much at ease driving that speed.

It was always interesting to see who passes you at those speeds. My favorite was a brown mercedes who was blinking his lights at me from a considerable distance behind. But not for long, as he passed at what must have been at least 140. I was barely able to make out a little old lady with a hat, sitting in the rear seat, as her driver was making his way in the FAST lane.

post-123-13667603710022_thumb.jpg

j9273c.jpg
'71 Agave, '71 Verona, '74 Inka, '73 Chamonix

"FAQ Member Number 60"

ive had my speedo pegged in my M2 and it felt pretty good. not that id want to drive at that speed all day but it was remarkably planted.

not sure how fast that is as i have a 3.45 diff and a speedo for a 3.64 but its moving

www.BluntTech.com
FAQ Supporting Vendor
 Sales@BluntTech.com

Hit 120 or 130 in a local M2 and it was amazing. I was riding shotgun but it was fairly comfy cruising... if a bit loud.

Matthew

...The Owner's Manual says a 2002tii can hit 116 MPH, but you have to believe even with a lot more power the car just won't accelerate much when you're closing in on 120.

I know you're trying to call BS but I'm here to vouch that Coop's M2 accelerates pretty well even closing in on 120...

Matthew

Chastity: the most unnatural of sexual perversions.

74 tii, 99 BMW R1100R, 99 E320, 01 S4 Avant

The 2002 is such a brick aerodynamics-wise, that even with a ton of extra HP from a hot S14, it would be a real fight to get near 130 mph

Actually, you do the numbers: 3.91 diff, 7200 rpm, 22.5" tires. Spokane.

3.64 diff, 6900rpm, 22.5" tires. Seattle.

Engine- dual DCOE's with 36mm chokes, 9.8:1 compresion, reground cam

(Delta's 325, fwiw)

Getting north of 120's not so hard. 130's a LOT harder.

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

Hi,

well 12 years ago i was delivering a car to

a friend, after a driveline rebuild, in NM. it was dark

and very late. i deceided to slowly press it to the

floor. well the 5 speed and the 3.64 gears with the

tii stuffed full of cam and pistons got the needle to

point straight down for almost 10 min.

In the year 2002 we drove from philly to the show

in Keystone CO. my friend neals car tossed a bumper

part to the side of the road and i deceided to grabb it.

well the tractor trailer got it flat before i tossed it into the

back seat and took off to catch the caravan.

the targa has a very strong motor and 5 speed with

a LSD rear so i ran it all the way up till the needle

was on the underside of the rest pin for the zero.

that used a 1/4 tank of fuel to catch them.

i say the first run in NM was 120+ and the run on

the way thru KS was 120+ for 25 min.

thats all i will addmit to because i am still stupid

most of the time!!!!!

good luck

KEEP THE SHINEY SIDE UP

stone

stone racing co

phila pa 19123

Actually, you do the numbers

You guys are aware of the FAQ speed chart, right?

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/content/view/56/32/

I prefer downloading the Excel page from that link and inputting my numbers. I don't think it shows as high of RPMs as I go, but its easy to copy/paste the cells and equations to add in different RPM values.

Bring a Welder

1974 2002, 1965 Datsun L320 truck, 1981 Yamaha XS400, 1983 Yamaha RX50, 1992 Miata Miata drivetrain waiting on a Locost frame, 1999 Toyota Land Cruiser

In my 74 tii I have seen speeds around 115 with room for more, but the rpm's around 6K were just too high to push it further. After all it was my daily driver.

A funny thing; at Daytona, they make such a big deal about going over 100 MPH such that you are given a certificate when you do. I wanted to say something to the effect that in California, 100 is often times the norm. But I just sat in the passenger seat waitng for it to be over.

post-2154-13667603723817_thumb.jpg

But what do I know

Actually, you do the numbers: 3.91 diff, 7200 rpm, 22.5" tires. Spokane. 3.64 diff, 6900rpm, 22.5" tires. Seattle.

Getting north of 120's not so hard. 130's a LOT harder.

Agreed. Two weeks ago I swept through the oval at Fontana at 7,500 RPM with a 3.91 and 205/60-13" tires, calculator put that at 129mph. Kinda cool coming out of turn two and seeing tire marks up on the wall (from when the NASCAR guys were there)...

I've driven both my '02s to 100mph. Drove the nevada car most of the way from Springfield, MO to Cuba, MO in a 3 car caravan at 95mph continuous when the Mid-America Fest was still in Hermann, MO.

Drove the jadegrun car at 90+ continuous for many miles behind Bo's tii and Keith's "Stella" enroute to V@V in '07.

Budweiser...It's not just for breakfast anymore.

Avatar photo courtesy K. Kreeger, my2002tii.com ©

IMG_0011-2.jpg

Oops, wrong car. ;-p

IMG_0011-1.jpg

Actually I have seen the needle on the back side of the peg before. I think the air dam helps a bit with stability at that speed. Yes the temp gauge was reading low. And the speedo reads high.

Cheers,

Ray

p.s. drive sensibly.

• Like 1

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

I'm a little dissapointed at the posts saying 80. I had a 73 Malaga four speed and hit 105-110 every day on my way to work. For those who live in the SF Bay Area, Broadway Burlingame, 280 S. to Fry's Electronics in Palo Alto in a little over 10 minutes. cmon people.

I rode "shotgun" in Steve Ostwald's - Bill Watson - prepared 2002 on the track at Sears Poi---I meam Infineon Raceway a couple years ago.

Not sure how fast down the straight, but I'm guessing about 120 or so...maybe more...

Far more impressive than terminal velocity was Steve's skill at drifting left (downhill, at speed) in the carousel, then straighten it all out by mashing the throttle in the short chute.

THAT'S fast!!!

Delia

1973 2002tii - gone

Inka (aka "Orange Julius")

1974 2002tii - gone

Polaris (aka "Mae West")

1991 318is (aka) "O'Hara")

Brillantrot - High Visibility Daily Driver

BMW CCA #1974 (one of the 308)

deliawolfe@gmail.com