• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Another Oil Leak Post...

1974 2002tii

Yet nother post re: yet another seeping oil leak on yet another 02.  Please be gentle.

Typical 02 seeping oil leak from somewhere.  After doing the often-recommended de-greasing, de-oiling, and drying of the engine I drove the piss out of the car, parked it, and let the leak it do its thing.  Results:  a nebulous and sequestered leak, as expected.  The leak produces a 2-3 sq" sq puddle over a week or so.

-- Oil pan bolts and all other accessable bolts were tight. 

-- No oil in the vicinity of the (i) distributor or its housing, (ii) exhaust studs, (iii) inside the bell housing where the rear main seal would leak, and (iv) top of the rear head bolts.

-- Oil mostly on driver's side areas of (i) sides of upper and lower TC covers, (ii) along oil pan gasket, (iii) drip from the bell housing cover, and (iv) exhaust support at the transmission.

-- The only drip is from the aforementioned cover.

QUESTION 1:  As an initial approach, may I assume the problem is related to the TC covers (and their widely known propensity to leak...and prevent surface rust) and skip the other profusely FAQ-discussed usual suspects?  NOTE:  I know the importance of sealing the two special upper cover-lower cover-engine block junctions.

QUESTION 2:  Might the wet exhaust bracket be a separate issue and not related to oil blow-back?

Photos are attached.  Yellow indicates areas which are wet- with oil. 

Thanks.

IMG_7618.thumb.jpeg.8b68cafe4e495e1a3ad36e65d4d3ac0c.jpeg

IMG_7621.thumb.jpeg.70c7ae6420da86a8c486ac41daee8e09.jpeg

IMG_7619.thumb.jpeg.d580df3840225993b061f97eb43d2142.jpeg

IMG_7622.thumb.jpeg.7f80636b40a943fd01b8c6a20bef6f85.jpeg

IMG_7623.thumb.jpeg.39b5b4f0dddf1f16ffdf7e839cbd7257.jpeg

I would suspect the front crank seal and or timing cover gaskets. Blowback from frontal leaks can cover large areas, make it hard to detect the source.

Clean the areas thoroughly with carb/brake clean, blow dry and dust the suspected areas with baby powder... same stuff you had used on your bum oh so many years ago... drive a half mile, use a mechanics mirror and a light to look at the suspected areas. No leak yet? Drive another mile, keep checking. 

The leak will show it's ugly determined-to-hide self.

• Like 3

'Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right'

Robert Hunter, Scarlet Begonias.

Gunther March 19, 1974. Hoffman Motors march 22 1974 NYC

Is that a crack in your first picture just behind the timing chain tensioner on the block or is just the picture? 

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944

Photo 1

Good spotting, SoM.  Probably not a crack b/c it does not appear to continue onto the surface of the block...

Photo 2

Additional questions:  If the cover(s)-block omterface(s) are/might be the issue, why is there oil at the WP-TC interface (dashed area)?  Would not the air flow prevent oil leaking from a cover-block interface to flow forward to the WP interface?  ..or maybe oil can easily creep anywhere it damn well pleses...even against the wind...

ScreenShot2024-04-16at6_28_39PM.png.3198159c382152d9824d986bd150236d.png

IMG_7618.thumb.jpeg.96baf3cab6c1b004f4add5c5c968cc09.jpeg

6 hours ago, 2002#3 said:

maybe oil can easily creep anywhere it damn well pleses...even against the wind.

You don't have a fan blade on the WP, so the air coming through the radiator may not flow evenly around the block.

Clean, dry and powder your "baby's bottom" as recommended by @OldRoller.

Perhaps you've parked just a little too close to a British car, and your 02 has caught the dreaded Brit oil leak syndrome...

Suggest parking close to Japanese cars in the future.  

mike

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

11 hours ago, Mike Self said:

Perhaps you've parked just a little too close to a British car

My brother restored a 1968 Triumph GT6, still chasing down oil leaks.  We used this dye and a cheap UV flashlight (under $15) to help figure out where some of the leaks were coming from.

Mark92131

WWW.AMAZON.COM

Buy InterDynamics Certified Auto Pro Oil and Fuel System UV Dye Leak Detection for Cars & Trucks & More, 1 Oz, 374CS, Universal: Engine & Oil - Amazon.com ✓ FREE DELIVERY possible on eligible purchases

WWW.AMAZON.COM

Black Light UV Flashlight,Vansky Blacklight 12 LED Urine Detector For Dog/Cat/Pet Urine & Dry Stains and Bed Bug On Carpets/Rugs/Floor,Matching with Pet Odor Eliminator - Amazon.com

1970 BMW 1600 (Nevada)

On 4/16/2024 at 3:07 PM, 2002#3 said:

QUESTION 1:  As an initial approach, may I assume the problem is related to the TC covers (and their widely known propensity to leak

That is a reasonable asumption, the most probable cause for sure.

When I got Survior, oil was leaking prodigiously from TC interface on drivers side.

Like pump itself dry in hours leaking.

engine was out for a 5 speed swap so I replaced  rear seal, pan gasket and front cover set.

Thats it, nothing else was done to the engine, kinda regret that now. 

Zero leaks now anyway..

Edited by tech71

76 2002 Survivor

71 2002 Franzi

85 318i  Doris

2 hours ago, Mark92131 said:

My brother restored a 1968 Triumph GT6, still chasing down oil leaks.  We used this dye and a cheap UV flashlight (under $15) to help figure out where some of the leaks were coming from.

Mark92131

WWW.AMAZON.COM

Buy InterDynamics Certified Auto Pro Oil and Fuel System UV Dye Leak Detection for Cars & Trucks & More, 1 Oz, 374CS, Universal: Engine & Oil - Amazon.com ✓ FREE DELIVERY possible on eligible purchases

WWW.AMAZON.COM

Black Light UV Flashlight,Vansky Blacklight 12 LED Urine Detector For Dog/Cat/Pet Urine & Dry Stains and Bed Bug On Carpets/Rugs/Floor,Matching with Pet Odor Eliminator - Amazon.com

I promise I’m not being a smart ass, and I say this having great affection for the GT 6…

Just tell him to give up and drive the car. I’ve owned/worked on every British car you can imagine. They leak. Triumphs and Land Rovers especially so. 

22 hours ago, 2002#3 said:

QUESTION 2:  Might the wet exhaust bracket be a separate issue and not related to oil blow-back?

Capillary action is also in play here, hot oil can migrate along every seam, gap and channel quite a ways all by itself

• Like 1

76 2002 Survivor

71 2002 Franzi

85 318i  Doris

3 hours ago, Mark92131 said:

We used this dye and a cheap UV flashlight

Mark, did this work??

Probably needed a few gallons of dye. Those British cars leak everywhere, even in places that don't contain fluid.

I've often wondered if this was a rust-prevention technique for the constant rainy days.

• Haha 1