• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need to add Power Steering

lpwalsh

Work out a lot, increase upper body strength😉

Sigh,,OK there is this : I was just looking out of curiosity, I swear!

EPOWERSTEERING.COM

Our bolt-in BMW 2002 Electric Power Steering kit is the cleanest and most reliable way to add power steering to manual steering or to displace a hydraulic steering configuration. This power...

Edited by tech71
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

76 2002 Survivor

71 2002 Franzi

85 318i  Doris

3 hours ago, lpwalsh said:

Just got my 2002 and excited to put in some power steering. 

If you have  small, aftermarket steering wheel, going back to the OEM "bus wheel" will help immensely.  And wider tires--especially on 14" or larger wheels and wheels without the proper offset--will also greatly increase steering effort.  And of course, check your tire pressures!

mike

• Like 5

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Technique really matters. Don’t turn the steering wheel unless the car is actually moving. No matter how slowly or little the car is moving, turning the steering wheel while the car is moving makes a big difference.. We’ve all become accustomed to power steering, which enables you to effortlessly turn your front wheels from lock to lock, while the car is entirely stationary, with a single finger. Don’t do that.

Of course, if you’ve got fat rubber on wide wheels, that compounds your challenge. 😉

The ‘02 has the sweetest, most precise steering imaginable. Figure out how to best use it.

Regards,

Steve

• Like 8

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

11 hours ago, tech71 said:

EPOWERSTEERING.COM

Our bolt-in BMW 2002 Electric Power Steering kit is the cleanest and most reliable way to add power steering to manual steering or to displace a hydraulic steering configuration. This power...

I'm turning into a wimp behind the wheel and this looks interesting too.  There has to be someone with one that can give some feedback.

• Haha 1

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.

12 hours ago, tech71 said:

EPOWERSTEERING.COM

Big Respect. 

My first car ever in 1992 was a 2002.  Pulling up to High School sweating buckets and sore from steering wasnt so bad then.

Couple injuries along my road to 50 make this non power steering much harder to enjoy.  Appreciate this info. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Conserv said:

Don’t turn the steering wheel unless the car is actually moving. 

This applies to all cars, trucks, RV's regardless of power steering or not. Your putting many times the load on the steering gear than a rolling car.

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944

if you’ve got fat rubber on wide wheels, that compounds your challenge.

I see what you did there....

t

treadwear rating of 20, here.

• Like 3

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

And that esteering kit brings autonomous driving one step closer! 😉 

Joking aside, that kit looks like the shortest/cleanest path to powersteering. As long as it has a fail over to manual steering I'd be good with it (looks like it does).

Edited by JsnPpp

1973 2002tii (2764167), Baikal, Rebuild blog here!

In the past: Verona H&B 1973 2002tii (2762913); Malaga 1975 2002; White 1975 2002

--> Blog: Repro tii cold start relay;   + --> Need an Alpina A4 tuning guide? PM me!

I was considering this one to make driving more fun for my wife. But the one listed above looks easier to install and half the price. 

WWW.CITYRACERLLC.COM

A complete kit to convert your BMW 2002 to electric power steering. Your opportunity to enjoy a leapfrog in technology! Benefits: Non-intrusive installation. Replace the steering column with the EZ u

• Like 1