• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need to Soften up The Ride

Fraidknots

You'll enjoy the stiff suspension if you have twisty roads nearby.  My 74 tii has Eibach springs,  Bilstein sports,  ST swaybars, poly bushings, and 15X7 wheels, no regrets.  

74 tii (many mods)
91 318i M42

07 4Runner

I'm guessing you have Bilstein sport socks. Replace them with anything and get more comfortable. Good thing is that you can probably sell the Billys if they still look nice. Springs are likely not the culprit

Edited by Tommy
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Racing is Life - everything before and after is just waiting!

31 minutes ago, Tommy said:

I'm guessing you have Bilstein sport socks. Replace them with anything and get more comfortable. Good thing is that you can probably sell the Billys if they still look nice. Springs are likely not the culprit

Yeah I would ditch the BIlsteins if you have them. Yes, they do perform well at high speeds but they ride hard. Get some Koni top adjustable which you can tune to your spring setup. No harsh ride and the performance and ride comfort maintains at slow and fast speeds.

dlm ny country

Springs have a big role in "ride quality" assessment, in my experience.

Springs determine ride height and stiffness.

Shocks (dampers) modulate the movement of the springs.

But proper damping is a must. My prior two autocross cars were also my dailies, and they had WAY more spring than my 2002, but with better damping (dual adjustable Koni), and as a result better ride quality than my 2002. I'm talking an e30 and an e36, both with coilovers and fairly stout spring rates.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Sure springs have a role and if OP says he doesn't have Bilsteins then it must be that.

I'm claiming that Bilsteins are so hard in compression that they will not be too comfortable even combined with stock springs. Also they have so high gas pressure that they do raise the ride height, just a bit. This is from experience of one summer before I took them out and they got sold or actually swapped for BBS RM wheels.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Racing is Life - everything before and after is just waiting!