• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2002 vs 2002tii: Which will hold resale value as a restomod?

astronomad
Go to solution Solved by SydneyTii,

If you were looking to restomod (nothing crazy but improve HP, suspension, maybe turbo flares and spoiler) does it really matter tii or not? I want a roundie, and seems like anything will require a strip down and full repaint. At the end of the day, whether you start with a tii or not, does it matter when 5 years down the road I want to work on a new project and sell?

• Like 1

The way I would look at this is other than maybe springs and shocks anything else you want to do will decrease the value of a good tii while if well done it may add to the value of a carbed 2002. It seems the the market values near stock 2002's and tii right now. i would also add that inorder to increase hp on a tii by very much is extremely expensive and would involve several very hard to source parts.

Edited by Son of Marty
  • Like 7

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944

Depends on year and mods done to a tii.  Stock roundie tii's will hold their value more than a restomod roundie tii. I will argue it's a different story for a square tail light tii that's a restomod.  A restomod 74 tii with tasteful mods will bring more value than a stock square tail light tii with diving board bumpers.  Case in point, here's my restomod 74 tii.  https://www.bmw2002faq.com/registry/2780763-r51/    I'm just making my tii look like BMW intended it to look before DOT got involved here in the US. I made it look like they do in the ROW.   I'll take a square tail light 02 with Euro bumper conversion any day over a roundie, that's just me. Purists now hate me.

Edited by Gordon
  • Like 2

74 tii (many mods)
91 318i M42

07 4Runner

The purists control the market value. It's ridiculous, really, IMO, but they just do. To take a good car and make it moderately "better" always seemed to make sense to me, but there's a monkey wrench in that sentence.

The problem is one's own opinion of what's "better". We've all seen ridiculously modified cars with absurd engine and body mods that the owners think make the car much better, when in reality all we want to do is puke. Beauty (or modifications) are in the eye of the beholders.

So the purists (and market) default to OEM where nothing is changed. It's a safe position to take, it's easy and it's  defendable because "that's how it left that factory, so that's the way it was meant to be".

Nah, not in my book, but that's what the market will pay the most for. 

I've never admired the lemming.

• Like 8

1974 2002 Tii-SOLD

1978 911SC Coupe

1988 Landcruiser

2020 M2 CS

8 hours ago, AceAndrew said:

Frankly, I don't think a 2002 is the right fit for you to begin with.  When "resale value" becomes one of your mandatory guiding principles when taking on a hotrod you've lost the point.

yep.  who cares what the resale value of any car is?  drive/build/modifiy/restore for what YOU want.  not what some possible future owner might value.   

• Like 6

2xM3

Basically it sounds like you want is an E30 M3.
Which will actually be less expensive than doing a 2002 bare metal respray & engine rebuild with "upgrades" & actually be an appreciating asset. 

• Like 5

Andrew Wilson
Vern- 1973 2002tii, https://www.bmw2002faq.com/blogs/blog/304-andrew-wilsons-vern-restoration/ 
Veronika- 1968 1600 Cabriolet, Athena- 1973 3.0 CSi,  Rodney- 1988 M5, The M3- 1997 M3,

The Unicorn- 2007 X3, Julia- 2007 Z4 Coupe, Ophelia- 2014 X3, Herman- 1914 KisselKar 4-40

11 minutes ago, M3M3M3 said:

yep.  who cares what the resale value of any car is?  drive/build/modifiy/restore for what YOU want.  not what some possible future owner might value.   

+1. If you are doing something to your car thinking about the next owner, perhaps you aren’t enjoying owning said car.  Sell it and start over.

• Like 1

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

Improvements to you may not be the same to someone else…

5 speed overdrive transmission

14” or 15” wheels and tires

lowering springs and non stock shocks/struts

Limited slip differential

Larger anti sway bars

Different seats

Replacement seat belts

Non stock audio system

Bearings added to handbrake pivot

Intermittent wipers

Upgraded air conditioning system

Wideband 02 sensor/gauge

H4 headlamps with relays

All of the above done to my tii. All reversible. 

• Like 3

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

Great comments and feedback. I tend to get bored easily so whil it is exciting to venture into my first 02, I want to be realistic. Ive sold too many cars I got bored with only to look back and try to find them again later.. Im a design purist but like some mentioned design for the 02s was impacted by some outside forces (US laws) but also some period limitations. I enjoy the roundies and bought a 1971. But I bought a 20 footer that was just band-aided together. So now its done to bare metal, had to grind off the Zender flares and now trying to decide is this going to be worth a rotisserie redo because thats where Im at. Im sure many of you have been in similar positions. Wanted your thoughts. I have a e28 m5, e12 m535i tribute now that i bought 90% done, so this one is on the other end of the spectrum. 

69889897775__1837DAA2-F557-42E8-9B90-9406192149FC.JPG

69889900676__DA954043-9555-495D-B02E-059BF57E211A.JPG

69889904330__F886047F-C7DE-4B4C-A712-A97DB35FB720.JPG

IMG_3095.JPG

69889902719__31BC5B3C-35F3-4270-A56E-F74A5AF9E89A.JPG

Edited by astronomad
  • Like 1

Looks very solid.  So you are losing the flares and going back stock? 

If you are restomodding you could go M20 engine swap route, you have probably found @AceAndrew blog already.

https://www.bmw2002faq.com/forums/topic/116731-m20-triple-weber-build-x2/

Having owned an E30 318is I can tell you the 2002 is harder to mod to be modern.  

But you have some older vehicles and will do OK.  Just don't expect rack and pinion steering, large wheels, or a budget friendly build. 

Like others said, build it for your enjoyment not resale. 

• Like 2

Frankly, I don't think a 2002 is the right fit for you to begin with.  When "resale value" becomes one of your mandatory guiding principles when taking on a hotrod you've lost the point.

I could not agree with @AceAndrewmore.  I am,  like some on this forum no doubt, are products of the 50's and 60's were hotroding found its birth from those who were able to return from the war. They used their ingenuity to create something that would occupy their time and reap some sense of accomplishment. They did not have much money to  carry out their dreams,  so they scraped and scrounged to find the pieces to make it work. I am sure they did not care about aesthetics or resale value or safety for that matter. They continually pushed the envelope to suit their sense of style and needs.

For me personally, "I saved my pennies and saved my dimes" (to quote one of the great 60's contemporaries***) and bought a 55 210 Chevy while I was in High School. It took be a couple of years to complete the mods but it was just what I wanted, it wasn't that unique in the scheme of things but it provided me so much enjoyment. It also led to many relationships that have stood the test of time. 

So I am sure you asking WTF has this to do with your plight. Well , if you have not guessed by now I am not in the purist camp on this one. I have owned my 2002 for some 47 years now. It sat in my garage for close to 40 years collecting both dust and disdain from my entire family before I was motivated enough to breathe new life into it. I never lost focus over those years, I knew exactly what I wanted it to be and what it was gonna look like and how it was to perform. Not ever did I concern  myself with what will it be worth at the end of the journey.  It's just simply not part of my hotrod  DNA.

So,  I saved those pennies and dimes yet once again for my last 'hot rod" project. It took me 6 years to complete, never did I loose focus. This site had much to do with that for which I will always remain  grateful. So you have found the right spot if you need help.

Finally, please don't leave with the impression I do not appreciate the pain stacking effort and dedication it takes to truly restore one of these classics. I really do. It's just not me.  So if you are a true enthusiast, your heart will guide your way. If you are concerned about the ROI, I think you need to find another  venture.. Your WILL to complete this project has to be greater than the concerns about its financial rewards. Its all about the process, IMHO

Good luck with what ever you  decide.

Mike

*** BTW, 409  written by Brian Wilson/Mike Love, Beachboys

Edited by joysterm
  • Like 2