• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I need a 2nd '02 like I need a hole in my head...

walkinfool

But, I'm about to buy another '02.

I've had Julia (my friend named my car after Julia Robertson in Pretty Woman) my '72 since 2010. She was a slightly rusty, non-runner when I bought her for next to nothing but with patience, time, parts (thanks Blunt and FAQ community), she's become a fun, reliable, fairly sorted, and all-around fun car.  That's not to say there hasn't been some challenges and frustration along the way but overall, I wouldn't trade her or the experiences I've had for almost anything!

I'm not sure about you but when I'm not working...or maybe when I'm working, I'm on the FAQ classifieds, Craigslist, Marketplace and other forums reading articles and looking for random parts I don't need. So, a few weeks ago, I came across a fairly sorted '02 near my community and after a few conversations with the owner and his mechanic, I decided to see the car. My inner voice told me that if the universe was right and the stars were aligned, the car would speak to me and I would either buy it or walk away. The car presented well, had a number of mechanical, suspension, and interior upgrades and the price was reasonable. She drove fairly well too but the other voice in my head -  the VOICE OF REASON - (and my girlfriend) told me that I literally have no time for a 2nd '02 at this point in my life and that I should just walk away. And, oddly, I felt like I'd somehow cheated on Julia after the seeing/driving the car. So, I politely and somewhat reluctantly declined the car and I moved on in life...for about a day. The owner and I really hit it off and he felt I should own the car. He made me an offer that I'd like to refuse but I don't think I can and so I'm reaching out for thoughts, advice, words of wisdom to help with this dilemma. Incidentally, my father passed away last year but he would've said, "what's the worst that can happen...take a chance". 

All the best,

Mitch

• Like 3

'72 Malaga 23Mar1972

'72 Malaga 11Jul1972
'09 Impreza
'11 Specialized hybrid

Eh, you get too spread out and go nuts?  That's what's happened to me...

The biggest question:  Do You Have Storage Space?

No, not, "I'll kick my girlfriend's car out of the garage" space, but

"this car can sit here for a year and no- one will mind" space.

If you do, then I'd say- go for it.  These things aren't depreciating any more.

If it has to sit outside, then ya gotta say no- it will drive you nooooots watching it rot.

t

• Like 2

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

58 minutes ago, walkinfool said:

(and my girlfriend) told me that I literally have no time for a 2nd '02 at this point in my life and that I should just walk away.

Your girlfriend feels threatened, she knows she will be on the losing end of the "time"

equation. Not sure I understand why but women actually like/need time with and attention from their chosen one. Something to consider...

Today is my 18th wedding anniversary, probably wont be getting any time in on Franzi today😉

Edited by tech71
  • Like 1

76 2002 Survivor

71 2002 Franzi

85 318i  Doris

What color is the car? We are going to need pictures to decide… you have to have two so when you take one apart, you know how to put it back together!

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

Don’t let the fear of what could happen

make nothing happen…

1 hour ago, walkinfool said:

But, I'm about to buy another '02.

I've had Julia (my friend named my car after Julia Robertson in Pretty Woman) my '72 since 2010. She was a slightly rusty, non-runner when I bought her for next to nothing but with patience, time, parts (thanks Blunt and FAQ community), she's become a fun, reliable, fairly sorted, and all-around fun car.  That's not to say there hasn't been some challenges and frustration along the way but overall, I wouldn't trade her or the experiences I've had for almost anything!

I'm not sure about you but when I'm not working...or maybe when I'm working, I'm on the FAQ classifieds, Craigslist, Marketplace and other forums reading articles and looking for random parts I don't need. So, a few weeks ago, I came across a fairly sorted '02 near my community and after a few conversations with the owner and his mechanic, I decided to see the car. My inner voice told me that if the universe was right and the stars were aligned, the car would speak to me and I would either buy it or walk away. The car presented well, had a number of mechanical, suspension, and interior upgrades and the price was reasonable. She drove fairly well too but the other voice in my head -  the VOICE OF REASON - (and my girlfriend) told me that I literally have no time for a 2nd '02 at this point in my life and that I should just walk away. And, oddly, I felt like I'd somehow cheated on Julia after the seeing/driving the car. So, I politely and somewhat reluctantly declined the car and I moved on in life...for about a day. The owner and I really hit it off and he felt I should own the car. He made me an offer that I'd like to refuse but I don't think I can and so I'm reaching out for thoughts, advice, words of wisdom to help with this dilemma. Incidentally, my father passed away last year but he would've said, "what's the worst that can happen...take a chance". 

All the best,

Mitch

I feel your pain. I'm in the same boat. I desperately want to get another 2002, maybe a tii. I also have my eyes on a sweet 72 Datsun 510. The Datsun is a little over my budget at this time but who knows. My 2002 will always be my first love but that 510 is calling my name. I'm just afraid that there isn't a 510 FAQ like this group, or is there?

• Like 1

(1973 Fjord Blue 037) Vin 2588314- Build date February 6th, 1973- delivered to Hoffman Motors NYC February 8th.

Don't ask me, there was a time in the 90 when I could drive a different 02 for every day of the week, no I'm not rich but the cars went for about 500 bucks each and my wife of 49 years knew I was a defective when we married and I had a long driveway.

Edited by Son of Marty
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944

1 hour ago, TobyB said:

Eh, you get too spread out and go nuts?  That's what's happened to me...

The biggest question:  Do You Have Storage Space?

No, not, "I'll kick my girlfriend's car out of the garage" space, but

"this car can sit here for a year and no- one will mind" space.

If you do, then I'd say- go for it.  These things aren't depreciating any more.

If it has to sit outside, then ya gotta say no- it will drive you nooooots watching it rot.

t

+1 At least if you have the space as Toby said - get it. I always liked the thought of when you choose one way and ultimately feel disappointed with that choice - then you chose the wrong way. So in your case ....

• Like 1

1973 2002tii Taiga, 2763376 

1969 2002 Chamonix, 1666774

I appreciate all of the comments/thoughts thus far. I have a two car garage and Julia sits in one bay and my Subaru, sits in the other. The Sube was meant for our NW weather and can move back outside for the time being. But yes, Toby, if I didn't have the indoor space, this decision would be a no-brainer as I would go a bit bonkers watching it rot! My girlfriend knows that I am a busy body and need projects in my life to feel fulfilled and for the most part I think she's okay with the current car/home improvement/yardwork to girlfriend ratio though I could be reading her completely wrong haha. The new car is also Malaga and while I would prefer to have a 2nd car in a different color like Colorado or Baikal, I can live with twins! I've attached a pic of the new one - she is currently sporting 15" Rotas which will need to go. There's a rear spoiler that I'm not a fan of and a Nardi wheel that's a bit small and with the 195/50's it's a pain to steer/park. 

WA 72 2002 front.jpeg

WA 72 2002 twin webers.jpeg

• Like 3

'72 Malaga 23Mar1972

'72 Malaga 11Jul1972
'09 Impreza
'11 Specialized hybrid

Should be a blast discovering the differences between the two, and making local gear heads confused when they admire you cruising by in a car very similar to the one they saw you in a few days ago... but could swear it had different details.  You could name it Richard, for Richard Gereson - Julia Robertsons co star in the movie.  

• Haha 2

I feel you. I’ve moved from my hometown where I could store my 02s at my dads place for free. I have 2 2002s, but only took one after finding a garage workspace for it. 

I REALLY want to bring my other 2002 down here, and could even store it in my apartment garage parking…but I know that that’s a dangerous move. I don’t want to stress myself and my loved ones with my hobby. 

So yeah, if you have space for it where it doesn’t burden others lives, I’d say go for it. Don’t become a slave to your passions. 

• Like 1

88 IX, 74 02, 72 02tii