• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I need a 2nd '02 like I need a hole in my head...

walkinfool

2 hours ago, Rodolfo Lasparri said:

I've seen that one before down in Washougal I think - it's got Tan recaros right? Nice car.

Yes, Washougal! The Recaros are near new, and have lumbar support though with the inflation bulb, it looks like I could also check my blood pressure if needed! 

• Haha 3

'72 Malaga 23Mar1972

'72 Malaga 11Jul1972
'09 Impreza
'11 Specialized hybrid

See BMW was far ahead of us when designing this model. They knew customers would love this particular model so much that they would eventually have at least 2.

That is why the model number began with a 2 and ends with 2. What happens in between, is anyones guess!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, resra said:

See BMW was far ahead of us when designing this model. They knew customers would love this particular model so much that they would eventually have at least 2.

That is why the model number began with a 2 and ends with 2. What happens in between, is anyones guess!

Yup!  I even found a great set of YOM (Year of Manufacture) plates for the 69.

8A4B24B2-4262-42B0-BF5D-923904CA8A46.jpeg

• Like 5

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

Having owned a brace of 2002s since 1978, I can recommend it! Until 1985, one was my daily driver, the other, my wife's.  Then she bailed for a Buick (!) so both were mine....alllllll mine!  And still are.

I came upon a pristine E30 318is in much the same way you did with the 02...already had one, didn't need another but the owner and I hit it off, it was nicer than the one I already owned, and I promised my very patient wife I'd sell one as I didn't need a pair of E30s like I do 2002s.  

I've had the E30 now for 9 years, and find pleasure every time I drive it...BMW marketed it as "the 2002 of the 90s" and they were right.

mike

• Like 2

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

4 hours ago, Mike Self said:

I came upon a pristine E30 318is in much the same way you did with the 02...already had one, didn't need another but the owner and I hit it off, it was nicer than the one I already owned, and I promised my very patient wife I'd sell one as I didn't need a pair of E30s like I do 2002s.  

Funny, I promised my GF that I would sell one of the '02s after a year tops but it's a slippery slope and I don't think she really bought it! 

'72 Malaga 23Mar1972

'72 Malaga 11Jul1972
'09 Impreza
'11 Specialized hybrid

Think of it as an investment, looks like a pretty nice car and if the price is as you say, attractive, you cant go wrong as long as you PRESERVE  it!

None of this "banished to under a tree for 20 years BS

Sell the girlfriend on the investment angle.

I tell my wife that me hanging out in the garage, getting grubby and yes, spending some cash, is better than me hanging out in some seedy dive or otherwise malingering about.

Difficult for her to dispute that, I also tell her its therapy

😉

Edited by tech71
  • Like 4

76 2002 Survivor

71 2002 Franzi

85 318i  Doris

Do it!  If you've managed to have only 1 for 13 years I'd say you can safely add a second one and not feel bad about it.  

I cracked open my 02 obsession this past October when I purchased my first one (a project car) and, like you, have also been perusing Marketplace/Craigslist and others for random parts and what I tell my wife is "inspiration" for my car.  That led to me purchasing a second car (to stricly be used for parts) in December.  So far the only part I have needed from it are two of the bolts that hold the rear half shafts on.  But hey, it was too good of a deal and really close.  Now we have 8" of snow in the forecast and a garage that is completely occupied by my first 02 (I had the brilliant idea to turn it sideways across both bays before pulling the subframe to rebuild the rear mounts).  We have a second garage at another property where I told my wife the project would live during the winter, but that has the parts car in it.  Oops. 

As part of the ongoing 02 obsession I've also been reading everything I can find on these cars and recently read this old Jalopnik article that should provide us all with a good idea of when (maybe) you've gone too far.  In short: if your wife and kids haven't left you and you're not facing charges for embezzlement, you're doing just fine and don't need to worry about adding another 02 or 2 to the mix. 

xnxvvmefgc8bvpvrcxp0.jpg
JALOPNIK.COM

“Before we get to your car questions,” my former next door neighbor, Terrance, said, “I need to tell you both something. My wife left me. My kids won’t talk to me. I lost my job. I embezzled almost a half a million dollars because I’m addicted to BMWs, and have been hiding them all...

Edited by HobieDog
typo
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, tech71 said:

Think of it as an investment, looks like a pretty nice car and if the price is as you say, attractive, you cant go wrong as long as you PRESERVE  it!

None of this "banished to under a tree for 20 years BS

Sell the girlfriend on the investment angle.

I tell my wife that me hanging out in the garage, getting grubby and yes, spending some cash, is better than me hanging out in some seedy dive or otherwise malingering about.

Difficult for her to dispute that, I also tell her its therapy

😉

Same!  I forwarded my wife this article as well to prove I wasn't completely full of BS.  

DSC03525-1800x1013.jpg
WWW.CARANDCLASSIC.COM

You might not think classic cars go hand in hand with mental health, but they really do. Our Ed, Chris Pollitt, explores how...

• Like 1