• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

another stunner on BaT ....... '75 2002

OriginalOwner

All I can say is WOW !!  I opened the link and ..... and ..... the picture:  I'm looking at my 2002 ..... same color !!  Beautiful Condition !!  Like New !!     And it is here in SoCal, maybe 15 miles from my house !!  I don't want to say "twin" but ...... did mine ever look that fantastic ???

Be sure to read the comments, even Delia has a few words to offer.

1975_bmw_2002_rv005-86327.jpg
BRINGATRAILER.COM

Bid for the chance to own a 19-Years-Owned 1975 BMW 2002 at auction with Bring a Trailer, the home of the best vintage and classic cars online. Lot #84,241.

Cheers,

Carl

Edited by OriginalOwner
  • Like 2

Absolutely the nicest, cleanest, most original, well cared-for '02 I have ever seen!

Wow ... the pictures just kept getting better!

I did notice the air pump belt is missing, and the exhaust manifold is not a thermal reactor.... but who the f*** cares!

1 hour ago, Lorin said:

Carl, I bet this *almost* makes you want to refinish your wheels…

I think it would take a minor miracle to get Carl to "clean" OR "refinish" his wheels :)

1975 non-purist driver M42 Turbo, Hurricane a/c, and all sorts of cool stuff

1976 2002 sold, 1970 2002 sold, 1969 1600 sold

And the 1975-model-only plastic spark plug wire conduit… 

Certainly agree on the 66K miles! ?

Atlantik (Atlantic) and Nylon Brown is a great, yet rare, combo. The “A” in 2002A, however, may impose some limit on the upside potential, despite it being one of the cleanest and original ‘02’s we’ve seen in years (decades?)!

Regards,

Steve

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

Rakearch (Owner)

It has been a pleasure owning this car and a mission to keep it in its original condition.  Thank you all for the comments.

Having recently [1 year ago] finished a 13 year restoration on a 1972 2002 Tii, has made me appreciate how incredibly rare an original car has become.  The restored Tii was well received during LOTA Monterey in 2021 and won best of Class, Best of Mark and even Best of Show.  It was a very difficult decision to make in selecting one 2002 to keep!

Attached is a photo of the 1975 2002 next to Steve's at the Lyon Air Museum BMW Day last June.

I hope the new owner will enjoy the car as we have these last 19 years.  

70 2002A  and Steve K NC at Lyons 2022.JPG

• Like 5

Tom Rakestraw

72 2002 Tii, 73 3.0 csl, 75 2002 A, 

Tom R,

When I first quick-glanced at that picture at Lyons, I thought,  "hey, what is my car doing there ??  Did KenH borrow it and not tell me ??"  And then I saw those rims and knew it definitely was not mine.  And then I kept staring at it, at what incredible condition it is in.

What an incredible beauty it is, and quite sad that you need to sell it.

Cheers,

Carl

Edited by OriginalOwner

Doesn’t get any better if someone’s looking for an automatic 02! Maybe an auction record for one? Not many crop up for sale so not much to compare it to.

• Like 1

'74 Sahara/Beige 2002 HS car, long, long ago...

'73 Polaris/Navy 2002 tii lost to Canada

'73 Malaga/Saddle 2002 current project

'73 Taiga/Black 2002 tii in my dreams

I drove it about 15 years ago...and if you've not driven an automatic, don't knock it 'till you try it.  I was driving it with a gaggle of 02ers up in the mountains east of Newport Beach, and by shifting manually back and forth between 2nd and 3rd, had no problem keeping up with the other stick shift cars.  

And it looks as nice now as it did then...

mike

• Like 1

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

I purchased this  Car 19 years ago from my good friend Larry Walker primarily because even then, I could not believe the original condition the car was in.  I also thought correctly that my wife would enjoy to drive a pristine 02 for good weather fun.  The automatic was perfect for Southern California traffic and one hell of a lot more responsive than a Suburban full of Kids and their friends.  I have grown to enjoy the stress free driving the automatic provides around town and do not feel the spirited driving is diminished at all.  I thank Mike Self for the drivers training we received 15 years ago!

The automatics added nearly 15% to the Sticker Price when new which is why there are so few!  It is understandable one might expect a bulky 5 or 6 series automatic drive experience with the 02, but it is hardly the case.   I don't intend to talk you out of your 4 and 5 speed Getrag's, but the lighter weight 02 with an Automatic can perform nicely in the corners and result in the same smile factor as the manuals.

I know we will miss this car and hope it goes to someone who realizes what it is and will continue to be its caretaker.

Tom R

• Like 1

Tom Rakestraw

72 2002 Tii, 73 3.0 csl, 75 2002 A, 

I've seen this car many times over the years and am always amazed at the condition, and care Tom has taken to maintain it. 

Every time I see a clean example like this car, I scratch my head at why I modify everything. The next owner will be very happy with this particular 2002A.

GLWS, Tom.

some cars

some motorcycles

some airplanes

some surfboards