• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

St front sway bar fitment issues

kko110

Hi there, 

I am rebuilding a bmw 2002 72 here in NZ to origional spec apart from a few handling upgrades. I had to fit a replacement nose from w&n and it seemed like a good fit until it came to fitting the front subframe back in. The tow hooks interfered with the nose panel so I removed a small section of the tow hook and welded it back in place but now my new ST sway bar from IE won't fit because there is a large joggle in the sway bar compared to the origional that now interferes with the inside of the new nose panel... Why ST decided to put such a large joggle is making my head scratch as there doesn't appear that there is anything to avoid in this area. Has anyone else had this issue? It doesn't look like there has ever been any impact in this area nor are there any obvious signs of chassis rail work... 

Help please 

IMG_20210707_132902.jpg

IMG_20210707_095102.jpg

IMG_20210707_095041_1.jpg

IMG_20210707_095022.jpg

To fit this anti-swaybar will have to to lower the front subframe an inch to an inch & a half or purchase the under subframe adapters from Ireland Engineering or Roger's Tii.

Andrew Wilson
Vern- 1973 2002tii, https://www.bmw2002faq.com/blogs/blog/304-andrew-wilsons-vern-restoration/ 
Veronika- 1968 1600 Cabriolet, Athena- 1973 3.0 CSi,  Rodney- 1988 M5, The M3- 1997 M3,

The Unicorn- 2007 X3, Julia- 2007 Z4 Coupe, Ophelia- 2014 X3, Herman- 1914 KisselKar 4-40

Turning around makes it just OK at ride height but if both wheels compress it would clash.... 

Definately not that keen on lowering the subframe as that will put the lower arms in not a fovourable position... 

I guess I could get somebody to heat the bar up and bend it then re heat treat it but if I am going to that hassle I might as well make one from scratch without the excessive joggle... 

With my ST bar I had to bend the tow hooks.

And welcome to the forum.

Apparently not 'welcome!'  You've been here for 10 years with 13 posts?!  That's awesome!

Edited by irdave
  • Like 2

Dave.

'76, totally stock. Completely.

My tii has a replacement nose and ST 22mm front bar (and AC). The bar was flipped upside down to fit and it will rub against the lower nose.  I suggest gently heating the lower nose and use a pry bar to make some clearance.

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

Sway bar fitment issues discussed extensively here. I believe the joggle helps the bar work with AC cars. And the fit is tight at the nose regardless of new panel or not…

https://www.bmw2002faq.com/forums/topic/265693-ac-and-non-ac-front-sway-bar

Where we goin’? … I’ll drive…
There are some who call me... Tom too         v i s i o n a u t i k s.com   

19 minutes ago, visionaut said:

I believe the joggle helps the bar work with AC cars. And the fit is tight at the nose regardless of new panel or not…

Visionaut is correct WRT A/C component clearance. 

When I went to fit a 22mm front bar on my '73--with its original, unmolested nose--it cleared the tow rings but I had to use a small pry bar to move the lower lip of the nose out of the way on both sides so I could slide the bar in place.  Even after that it remains a very close clearance between bar and nose, but apparently doesn't rub as there are no shiny spots on either the swaybar or the sheet metal.

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

6 hours ago, kko110 said:

I guess I could get somebody to heat the bar up and bend it then re heat treat it

I would not recommend that course of action....

Why not just remove the tow hooks as part of the "non original suspension upgrade? They are crap for towing/pulling anyway, serve no real purpose I am aware of.

A few minutes with a mini grinder/cutter wheel and problem solved.

Even better, hammer them out of the way. Why throw more cash at it?

Edited by tech71
  • Like 1

76 2002 Survivor

71 2002 Franzi

85 318i  Doris

25 minutes ago, BarrettN said:

So far what I've found refers to the ST sway bars - anyone have comparison data for IE bars? 

Thanks, 

Barrett 

The IE sway mounts totally different, much farther rearward - nowhere near the nose sheet metal.

a pic from a search…

25127592-FB94-4A94-A19F-E80D0A85C88B.jpeg

• Like 1

Where we goin’? … I’ll drive…
There are some who call me... Tom too         v i s i o n a u t i k s.com   

As above the ie bar would be the easy way to go it's just time and money altho you could continue assembly while you wait or you could massage the lip forward enough by heating the paint lightly with a heat gun and with some wood blocking gentaly hammer the lip forward enough. I would go with option 1 in my case but your choise. Thats going to a beautiful 02 when your done.

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944

Thanks everyone for your help.

After molestig my other 02 for an S14 conversion and extensive mods I promised myself I would keep this as origional as possible other than a few reversable suspension mods so I don't want to cut and shut anything. I did t want to use an IE bar as they hang very low and dont really want it to be visible. So since I dont want to clearance the new nose I think I will have to make a new bar myself from 4130... I will post pics once done... 

Thanks for all of your advice