• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Quarantine Build Thread - 71 Colorado 02

danco_

This quarantine has made me realize a few things. One, I don't have as many hobbies as I thought I did, and the hobbies I want to focus on, I can't because of the strict government rules put in place. 

Now I've never been one to follow rules, but logic would dictate that Jail is not a viable alternative to breaking said rules. So no flying airplanes, no going into the office to do whatever it is I do, and no traveling to other countries and making a fool of myself while learning important life lessons and gaining experience. 

So I'm stuck with a project car I pulled from my pile of project cars - a 1971 BMW 2002 in Colorado Orange. This particular car has been sitting for a solid 15 years and I am determined to bring it back to life. 

So I managed to have it towed from it's hiding spot in northern Cal, to my garage in Huntington Beach. 

Here is how I found it, or rather, it found me. 

IMG_1889.thumb.JPG.57d883834d7accec6918329a245d5feb.JPGIMG_4754.thumb.JPG.7a937f42a80296bc86995cdd6fa15446.JPGIMG_4756.thumb.JPG.72ae66936e6e367b9ee8c946e98fa700.JPG

So after a bit of storage (I've been out of the 2002 game for a little while while I focused on Porsche and Airplanes and toxic relationships with girls I probably shouldn't have been dating in the first place), I decided to get her to my home where I can assess what is needed. 

IMG_2307.thumb.JPG.65215148ae9d7b2e1760c9b6875a0762.JPG

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

some cars

some motorcycles

some airplanes

some surfboards

Yikes! The sun really did a number on that paint. At first I thought it was Sahara.

You are saying it's a 71, but it looks more like an early 72 tii. What is the VIN, may I ask?

Robert in NJ
73 2002 (Verona)

72 2002tii (Verona)

I get it about suddenly life comes to a halt. I have plenty of hobbies, but they all require getting in a car and going somewhere.   I have two teenagers and everything came to a halt, but the world they know keeps going on with Wifi.  Guess I'll chat with them and see what they've been up to the last few years.

Is that a black plate in front and blue in back with the same license #?

• Like 3

I’m lovin’ it, Ryan! Sure beats Porsche’s, airplanes, and hot women — the latter only during a global pandemic, of course! It looks to be an original-paint Colorado 2002, very intact — save for the rims. Given the lack of Modell 71 features, no long-tail rear bumper, no bumper rub strips, no knee mouldings, but very original-appearing paint, I’m going to guess that it is a 2002 manufactured no later than April 1971 (the general Modell 71 changeover).

I’ll also guess that both license plates are blue (1970’s?) and the front appears black only due to lighting or deterioration. Tii engine and/or features? Or just an emblem?

And what happens when you buff that paint out? Inquiring minds want to know!

Best regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

I've always referred to Colorado as "Dreamsicle" but the exterior on your project is even more so...

Came from Peter Pan Motors, too--they go back a long way dealing with BMWs.

AMCO overrider bows, front and rear--nice accessory!  If it's a real tii, it's the first one I've seen with no knee moldings, long rear bumper ends and rubber trim on the bumper blades...VIN, please; inquiring minds want to know!

Cheers, and have fun....Ohio has just been put on lockdown.  Now if it only was warm enough to work in the garage.

mike

• Like 1

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

32 minutes ago, Conserv said:

I’m lovin’ it, Ryan! Sure beats Porsche’s, airplanes, and hot women — the latter only during a global pandemic, of course! It looks to be an original-paint Colorado 2002, very intact — save for the rims. Given the lack of Modell 71 features, no long-tail rear bumper, no bumper rub strips, no knee mouldings, but very original-appearing paint, I’m going to guess that it is a 2002 manufactured no later than April 1971 (the general Modell 71 changeover).

I’ll also guess that both license plates are blue (1970’s?) and the front appears black only due to lighting or deterioration. Tii engine and/or features? Or just an emblem?

Best regards,

Steve

I get the airplanes and hot women part, but you've gone to far with that first one you mentioned!

• Like 1

1974 2002 Tii-SOLD

1978 911SC Coupe

1988 Landcruiser

2020 M2 CS

Well, I got it home and started the census. I made a nice long list of what the car needs and cracked open my piggy bank and got on the phone with our own Stephen Peterson. He will be my grandfather/spiritual parts advisor for this project. 

What I know: the car was owned by a man in the bay area some 20ish years ago. About 15 years ago, said man took it into a BMW shop in Benicia, Ca for some work. Looks like the car was in for fresh Bilstein HD's, exhaust system, 5-speed swap, tii brakes in front, rear e21 drums out back, and some interior work. 

Except the owner never paid or kept his account with the BMW shop current, and the shop stopped working on the car. Let's time it up to 14 years later where I enter the picture. The shop owner can't find the rear swaybar (should be thicker, upgraded unit because front is also thicker), the rest of the exhaust, the front seats, never finished the 5-speed swap, doesn't know what brakes are on the car...generally, a mess. 

But I didn't care, I wanted it. It's a true 71 Colorado car with a full tii engine and suspension swap, and that was a good enough start for me. The 5-speed Getrag looks to be the 2-piece G240 variant, which also has the speedo cable provision, though not hooked up. 

I may keep this, but I have a spare G245 with drive shaft sitting in the garage at this time as well. We will see. 

Photos to follow. How I found it and a few preliminary photos: 

IMG_1863.thumb.jpg.0ac751416a21481ecf080a65d81536cb.jpgIMG_1879.thumb.jpg.e8a8ef35965372918752b8549ff67258.jpgIMG_4762.thumb.JPG.70fee9673654402143a8b71ed48eb28f.JPGIMG_4755.thumb.JPG.ce2902cf8b6f090bfbd98e2ea52ab216.JPGIMG_1868.thumb.jpg.53fec14b72c451a46ffde2422351bc66.jpgIMG_1864.thumb.jpg.875edaf9517e1b37b5243a2be0ec822f.jpgIMG_1878.thumb.jpg.155c69a0b34cd3cbdca28c37a56a3c46.jpg

• Like 5

some cars

some motorcycles

some airplanes

some surfboards

1 hour ago, Cruzr said:

Yikes! The sun really did a number on that paint. At first I thought it was Sahara.

You are saying it's a 71, but it looks more like an early 72 tii. What is the VIN, may I ask?

Photos for you: 

IMG_4761.thumb.JPG.fe00b5ad5f716ba6d1f24402099bf49d.JPG2057401092_ColoradoVIN.thumb.PNG.4c4a91d7386422c00c6433a18a166e4d.PNG

58 minutes ago, Steve Tochi said:

I get it about suddenly life comes to a halt. I have plenty of hobbies, but they all require getting in a car and going somewhere.   I have two teenagers and everything came to a halt, but the world they know keeps going on with Wifi.  Guess I'll chat with them and see what they've been up to the last few years.

Is that a black plate in front and blue in back with the same license #?

Talk to your kids. Prepare some terrible jokes and maybe they will respond favorable. I do it with my parents all the time and I'm still unsure why they still love me.

Same plate! Front plate went toe to toe with the elements and lost. No bother, I'll have a fresh set made.

55 minutes ago, jgerock said:

Dang Ryan-  now I'll have to follow your thread on this one!    Does it need any intake parts?  What's up with that e30 sitting next to it?

jim

Hmm, I don't think so yet. it's a pretty complete car. What I do need is a proper coil with resistor to get this thing fired up. It turns over just fine. 

This shop is a hoarders dream. I'll show you the satellite view so you can get an idea of what this guy is like. PLENTY of nice cars in there still, but his prices are outrageous. 

F5E3AD34-C451-48D2-8934-D60281EBBF18.thumb.JPG.37144743d6c3468646d3d368f9793463.JPG

36 minutes ago, Conserv said:

Best regards,

Steve

It's definitely a 71 2002 that someone converted to a tii running gear, which I'm not mad about. 

The paint is rough but mostly one color. I'll show you in a few posts from now. Thanks for the inquiry! 

17 minutes ago, mike said:

I've always referred to Colorado as "Dreamsicle" but the exterior on your project is even more so...

Came from Peter Pan Motors, too--they go back a long way dealing with BMWs.

AMCO overrider bows, front and rear--nice accessory!  If it's a real tii, it's the first one I've seen with no knee moldings, long rear bumper ends and rubber trim on the bumper blades...VIN, please; inquiring minds want to know!

Cheers, and have fun....Ohio has just been put on lockdown.  Now if it only was warm enough to work in the garage.

mike

Yep! The plate frame and the AMCO overrider bows were weird and I liked them. Definitely not a real tii though! The PO had a case of identity crisis. 

3 minutes ago, NYNick said:

I get the airplanes and hot women part, but you've gone to far with that first one you mentioned!

You should drive one of my 911s. You'll "get it". 

• Like 1

some cars

some motorcycles

some airplanes

some surfboards

8 minutes ago, joysterm said:

wow, this one checks a lot of boxes. Never enough Colorado's in the world. Look forward to see your progress on a classic.

The Maple Leaf deodorizer is a nice add on too...EH!

Yes! The Maple Leaf Deodorizer is probably older than me at this point so it stays. 

5 minutes ago, visionaut said:

THIS IS THE FORUM POLICE - this should be a Project Blog not a forum discussion topic. 10 demerits.

Ha ha - j/k.  Ryan, Hope all's well bud.  Stay Safe!

Tom

Haha. Please see first post where I have lived most of my life walking the fine line of rules and anarchy. 

But if I must move this thread to the Project Blog section I will do so. I threw it up here because extra exposure to a reasonable build thread might just be what we need more of right now. 

Hope you're good as well! Been too long, Tom. 

Edited by danco_
  • Like 3

some cars

some motorcycles

some airplanes

some surfboards

That car was 464 cars behind mine on the assembly line, also a Colorado car, and also with Amco bars! I've still got the Solex, though... 

Definitely following this one! 

-Dave

Edited by dlhoovler
to correct English-major math
  • Like 1

Colorado '71 2002

'17 VW GTI Sport
'10 Honda Odyssey Family & Stuff Hauler

Cool project!  With a little tlc and some carefully selected parts, it certainly has potential to shine once again...

With the tii engine and other alterations, you won’t be bound to keeping it all stock and original - that ship has already left the harbour.  Even so, I’m hoping you keep it period-correct and true to form.  Will be interesting to follow.

Ryan, while I’m hardly super-active on this forum myself, it’s nice to see you back on FAQ.  ?

• Like 2

O==00==O
With BMW-Regards,
Anders.