• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Let's hear it: _______________

fastricky

Somebody has to say it, so here goes. W T F

If I were going to spend $102,2002, it most certainly would not be on a 2002. There are many, many more cars I would buy for that money and I dare say, so would most of you. In fact, I could buy TWO gorgeous classic cars for $102K.

Some people just have more money than brains.

• Like 5

1974 2002 Tii-SOLD

1978 911SC Coupe

1988 Landcruiser

2020 M2 CS

18 minutes ago, NYNick said:

Some people just have more money than brains.

I think you are missing the point.  Some people DO have the money and want a collectible investment that for the most part is original and not in need of extensive restoration.  Driving it is just the added fun of owning a piece of history.  His investment is safe.

Generally the market is not this high on perfect tiis, but in 5 to 10 years 100K won't be unusual, IMHO.  Look at Turbos.  You wouldn't find one for under 100K.

What I don't get is why all the high dollar tiis are THAT color! ?

Edited by PaulTWinterton
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

73 Inka Tii #2762958

Thanks Paul. I get it. It's more fun investing "one VERY large" into a car than it is the stock market. And maybe his investment is safe. Maybe. 

But it's purely a show car now that he's put that kind of money up. My point was that there are some VERY, VERY nice cars I would buy, (not him, not you, just me perhaps) that I would much rather own and still be just as safe in my ROI, if any is to be had.

I won't argue which ones because that's just personal preference, but I just don't see it in this case.

Mind you, I own a tii.

• Like 2

1974 2002 Tii-SOLD

1978 911SC Coupe

1988 Landcruiser

2020 M2 CS

This really didn’t surprise me to much, well maybe a bit as I expected this one to be around 80k.  Bottom line, how many ‘72 Tii’s are left?  How many are restored to that level?

I would be surprised if more than 800 Tii roundies in total have survived in the USA.   That would make make them very rare IMO. 

Edited by tomphot
  • Like 2

'72 2002Tii Inka   2760698
'65 Porsche 356SC

Now we get to see how the Oldenzaal restored Turbo does at  the  Amelia Island Gooding Auction on Friday.  I have already had at least 6 emails asking about some of the details.   

• Like 4

1970 1602 (purchased 12/1974)

1974 2002 Turbo

1988 M5

1986 Euro 325iC

Maybe a record for a round taillight tii on B.A.T., but not a record for a round taillight tii, not nearly.... And, a better restoration is certainly very possible: I know because I’ve seen them! ?

I consider this a fabulous answer for all tii owners... And a bad answer for those wishing to buy, in particular, a round taillight tii. ?

Wish I could hug my tii right now, but it’s in storage until the Big Re-Paint.... ?

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv
  • Like 3

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

I just am not sure what to make of this.  I was thinking 70K, tops.  I was watching the auction and when it hit 82,002, I could not believe it.  Is a 72 tii really worth that now?  I realize is is an excellent example, but in my opinion not perfect, and for me to pay 102K for a tii, it would HAVE to be perfect. I think I have to agree with Nick, if I am paying that much, I think there are other cars I would like before a 2002 tii.  However, is that where we are now?  Will this be commonplace for 2002's?  What will that do to the value of other, run of the mill ones?  It will be interesting to see over the next few years.

• Like 1

1970 Granada 1600 "The 16",  2000 528i Siena Red "The 5",  1968 Mustang 289 Muscle Car Blue, 

1999 318ti M Package Green,  1982 633CSi 5 speed Blue,  2011 550i M Package Black (6 speed manual)

My first 02 was a 75 Sahara Euro spec 1802 that I had in the early 80's while in the Air Force stationed in Germany. My current Sahara 74 tii is trying to look like my first 02. Euro bumper conversion, side marker/reflector delete. It has a crack free one piece Euro spec dash (no fasten seatbelt billboard). I have a Euro spec gauge cluster in my parts bin (still looking for a crosshair 220 KPH speedo). Sorry but I won't go back to 13" wheels. It's a fun weekend driver, not an investment like the BAT tii.  You know that the 102K tii will be trailered everywhere it goes. Time to contact my insurance company and increase the value of my tii. 

13230174_1405865609430962_7939840583216488232_n.jpg

• Like 1

74 tii (many mods)
91 318i M42

07 4Runner

5 hours ago, radiocure said:

Really need to pause comments at the end of the auction, talk about lame ?

I agree, if you're not bidding within the last two minutes, no comments. The buyer of this car has bought 5 cars this year on BaT and has only three comments so I guess he agrees. ? 

• Like 1