• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Any decent Lithium cranking batteries yet?

AustrianVespaGuy

I think my wonderful Hawker Odyssey PC680s are reaching the end of their life after about a dozen years of good service.  They've been great, but before I replace both of them to the tune of $250 I have to wonder, is there just a single Lithium-based car battery on the market yet that can match their performance for a lower price point?  I would guess about $200 ought to be able to get something in a small form factor to the tune of 300ish CCA and have all the built in power electronics to play nicely with the alternator and so on.  I've found this one, but curious if anyone has some personal experience or additional insight to share on this one.  Thanks!

https://smile.amazon.com/Antigravity-Batteries-AG-1201-Lithium-Ion-Powersports/dp/B008R0L3Z6

Edit: Also, can Lithium batteries like these be mounted horizontally, or are they 'spillable' and need to remain vertical?

Edited by AustrianVespaGuy

2 hours ago, AustrianVespaGuy said:

I think my wonderful Hawker Odyssey PC680s are reaching the end of their life after about a dozen years of good service.  They've been great, but before I replace both of them to the tune of $250 I have to wonder, is there just a single Lithium-based car battery on the market yet that can match their performance for a lower price point?  I would guess about $200 ought to be able to get something in a small form factor to the tune of 300ish CCA and have all the built in power electronics to play nicely with the alternator and so on.  I've found this one, but curious if anyone has some personal experience or additional insight to share on this one.  Thanks!

https://smile.amazon.com/Antigravity-Batteries-AG-1201-Lithium-Ion-Powersports/dp/B008R0L3Z6

Edit: Also, can Lithium batteries like these be mounted horizontally, or are they 'spillable' and need to remain vertical?

I have the AntiGravity 480 CCA. Cost me like $225. No issues so far. They're closed cell so no spills.

20181208_135419 (1).jpg

Edited by NYNick
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1974 2002 Tii-SOLD

1978 911SC Coupe

1988 Landcruiser

2020 M2 CS

As a thrifty contrarian--I just bought a GP 26R battery for my '69 at Wal Mart for 49.95; its predecessor, also a GP26R (but from Rural King) lasted 7 years and also cost $49.95.  Or maybe it was $44.95.  The $225 lithium battery would have to last 28 years to break even...  Just sayin'...weight and placement not-withstanding

mike

• Like 1

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

1 hour ago, mike said:

Just sayin'...weight and placement not-withstanding

Yep, it's the placement issue for me Mike! The 318i intake takes up that stock spot and I've already cut out the rusty old tray, so I'm fully dedicated to under-the-back-seat placement now!  But to be sure, cost-wise the normal lead-acids can't be beat!

1 hour ago, SteadFast said:

This 480:

https://antigravitybatteries.com/products/starter-batteries/restart-oem/atx12-hd-rs/

I got one in mine, and since it's so light and small, I put it in the stock location:

20190815_201210.jpg.dea3cd6595a2ea540c9a4de1921cc1ea.jpg

John Baas

1976 BMW 2002

2001 BMW M5

My Blog!

15 hours ago, xr4tic said:

This 480:

https://antigravitybatteries.com/products/starter-batteries/restart-oem/atx12-hd-rs/

I got one in mine, and since it's so light and small, I put it in the stock location:

20190815_201210.jpg.dea3cd6595a2ea540c9a4de1921cc1ea.jpg

Might as well if you can. I had originally planned on putting a Lead Acid or AGM under the rear seat, so I had already run the cable. While not difficult, the wire cost me $40, weighed a few pounds and had to be run along the floor and through the firewall. I discovered Li-Pho after that, and figured I was in so deep $$$ wise, I'd $pring to save 30 something more pounds.

1974 2002 Tii-SOLD

1978 911SC Coupe

1988 Landcruiser

2020 M2 CS

1 hour ago, tech71 said:

Also can't be beat yet depth-wise (as in ampere hour capacity)

Actually, this is a VERY good point.  These things are only what, like 8Ah or something tiny? I'm thinking on a dark rainy evening with the headlights and wipers on, this wouldn't actually last very long at idle.  Anyone have issues with this, or do I need to start doing some calculations?

Actually, the new high-end lithium batteries like the Braille G20 don't explode; they are mounted on the floor next to the driver in many IMSA prototype and GT cars.  The also have good reserve and cranking amps in cold weather.  But while tiny and light, they are pricey.

Edited by Ian

Ian
'76 M2

'02 325iT