• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Too much brake pedal travel

iinca

Just finished replacing the entire braking system and now I have great brakes.

Nice firm pedal and you can't pump them up one iota. Cold or hot..

All new>

Rotors/Drums

Wheel cylinders

Resivoir

Pads/Shoes

Calipers

Soft lines

Hard Lines

Master'

Booster

Fluid

I put them through a few heat cycles and they are probably the best they can be.

Yet I still have a way too much PEDAL TRAVEL!  Like half way down. It's kinds dangerous and really annoying

And yes the E brakes are fully adjusted.

..I thought maybe adjusting the brake rod might help but something tells me that 

will only adjust the pedal height...OR will that help? I know getting to that top lock nut on the rod is a nightmare.

If I can avoid it that would be fine by me

Seems like there should be an easy way to take that extra "mechanical"

pedal travel out.

*Note : I bench bled the Master and used a power bleeder on the system.

*I never ask questions. I search and learn but this one has me perplexed

Edited by iinca

What's it like with handbrake on? If different then it's rear shoes adj

'59 Morris Minor, '67 Triumph TR4A, '68 Silver Shadow, '72 2002tii, '73 Jaguar E-Type,

'73 2002tii w/Alpina mods , '74 2002turbo, '85 Alfa Spider, '03 Lotus Elise

I’d try bleeding the whole system again.  Otherwise I’d say one of those new parts is possibly bad.

Edited by Brandon

'03 BMW Z4 3.0i

’89 BMW 325is

'80 Mercedes-Benz 300SD
'20 GMC Sierra 1500 SLT

Wear in the linkage can account for a lot of pedal slop.

With all new pivots, clevis' and pins, the slop should be about 2 pedal thicknesses, no more.

Since the pedal length is about 400 mm, any very small slo p at each of the  pivots will be amplified. You can't adjust  and don't need to change the rod lengths, only for making the pedal the same as the clutch.

Check or refurbish accounting for wear.

I think you still have air in the system.

2 hours ago, Einspritz said:

Wear in the linkage can account for a lot of pedal slop.

With all new pivots, clevis' and pins, the slop should be about 2 pedal thicknesses, no more.

Since the pedal length is about 400 mm, any very small slo p at each of the  pivots will be amplified. You can't adjust  and don't need to change the rod lengths, only for making the pedal the same as the clutch.

Check or refurbish accounting for wear.

I think you still have air in the system.

Good point. Do those push rods have the plastic bushings that sit in the pin hole?

It's more than pivot points. My pedal box 'looks and feels pretty good..not sure if it was rebuilt  somewhere in it's  recent past. It's one of the things I didn't do in my rebuild 'cause it feels pretty smooth.

No difference with the E Brake on

I'm gonna go through the bleed' again for starters

I SHOULD have the best g*damn brakes of any 2002 I've ever owned lol. 

BUT besides bleeding it's more likely its' a shitty master..or those Roger's tii calipers. This issue is the LAST thing on my 100% mechanical rebuild so I'm gonna be patient.

One can't rule out anything when the parts aren't all OE

I will say for the record the brake lines Andrew made me are insanely awesome.

Edited by iinca

Just because I have seen it more than once,  when you installed the calipers did you get them on the correct sides?  The bleed screws point UP.  Not to be a jerk but I have seen at least 3 people I thought were much better mechanics than that put them on the wrong sides with the bleeders pointed down. 

• Like 1

1970 1602 (purchased 12/1974)

1974 2002 Turbo

1988 M5

1986 Euro 325iC

A poorly performing brake booster can lengthen pedal travel...have you carefully inspected the booster and its supply hoses--especially the little short one that goes between the one-way valve and the manifold.  It's under a constant side load and will eventually crack.  The same hose for an E21 has a bend molded in so will last much longer...

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

I'd check the Residual Pressure Valve (had to look up the english term) in the master cylinder.

The symptom you're describing fits exactly a faulty one.

This valve will keep some pressure in the drum brake circuit when not used.

Edited by uai
  • Like 1