• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

02 Values too High

Slavs

Every classic car belongs somewhere on a "Fun / Cost" chart. At some point they jump the shark for some people, that point varies based on whether you used to have one and back then it cost next to nothing, or you never had one and now you have $$$ and want one... Also we tend to record "the price of things" at a static point in our past and have a hard time moving from there. Personally I could never pay $100K for a 75 hp porsche 356A that I then bought for $10K (and sold for 15 - idiot) back then... I want one again, but not at that price, ever. Some of you will *never* stomach $35-45K for a nice TII that used to be $5K. And yet here we are... Hell, a new 3 series Bimmer is still 25K in my head - it's more like 45 nowadays. 

All I can conclusively tell you is

a) like you  I am annoyed at that escalation regarding cars I cannot buy 

b) in contradiction I sank so much $ in my 2002 I am glad to see it worth something, and more cars worth restoring

c) having owned multiple "now expensive" Porsches I can tell you the BMW 2002 100% DESERVES to be in the same group of appreciating cars. $ for $ it's always been more fun than the above Porsches or what have you...

If an early 911 is now $70-200K based on model (T E or S) a 2002 is fine shape is totally worth 30+ now - more for a Tii... Electrification might make this worse - I can see an electrified future where gas cars are forbidden in cities and yet people keep one stick shift classic that makes vroom vroom noises - regardless of expense/laws, and the price goes even higher...

Edited by deschodt
  • Like 3

--------------------------------------------------------------

73 inka 2002 w/ fuel injection & 5 speed, LSD

We used to buy and drive Porsche 356 and 912s when we were 19, with funds we earned from pizza delivery jobs.”

Yeah and I saw Frank Zappa with Roxy music opening in 1975 for $7.50...10th row

The world changes!! Just took daughter to see Panic at the Disco, 12th row. Couldn’t even buy a beer for $7.50 and tickets were $600 bucks!!

Randy

PS - Not sure my post has any relevance, but I just had a really great memory of the Zappa show ?

• Like 5

1975 - 2366762 Born 7/75

See the whole restoration at:

http://www.rwwbmw2002.shutterfly.com

14 hours ago, conkitchen said:

Looking at an 81 924 turbo on Friday. $2,800.00 

Having owned 944 & 944S I wouldn't even invest the gas to drive to look at a 924 Turbo. 944, 944S and Turbo variants are very fun to drive with a relatively low entry fee.

But if you're  anyone that  bitches about 02 parts prices than these are not the cars for you, $65 Distributor Cap, $35 Rotor is just the start

My opinion is only worth what you paid for it $0.00, just sayin though...?

I don't take myself or opinions Seriously

My 4th 2002 and the first set of Square Tail-Lights

See the 4 versions of my 2002 project here: SoCal S2002 | Facebook

In California the classic/hobby/hot rod car market is based on Smog regulations.

People are paying stupid money for a pre '75 F-ing Mustang.

I don't give a fird gen, carbretted, alyoominiuhm, tickity boo!... wiff an ole in the boot!

I buy some cars to keep, some to flip. This is how I pay for my toys, Some I put a lot of labor and parts into some of them then sell. I don't pay anyone to do the work to keep costs down . I've owned old porche's, alfa's, VW's, corvette's etc. They have all gone up in price over the years. There are still deals to be had out there, you just have to be patient and keep looking. I just enjoy doing it and it keeps me outta trouble. I've just learned over the years to roll with the market cause I can't change it

• Like 1

Some folks would complain if you hung them with a brand new rope!

There is a long list of cheap fun cars out there.  Try an early 1990s Audi S4 on for size.  Cheaper than most tiis, and even many carb 2002s.    

• Thanks 1

1973 tii, agave, since 1992

1973 tii block 2763759

1967 Mustang GT fastback, since 1986

1999 Toyota 4Runner, 5 speed, ELocker, Supercharged

3 hours ago, deschodt said:

Every classic car belongs somewhere on a "Fun / Cost" chart. At some point they jump the shark for some people, that point varies based on whether you used to have one and back then it cost next to nothing, or you never had one and now you have $$$ and want one... Also we tend to record "the price of things" at a static point in our past and have a hard time moving from there.

What ? he said, I enjoy my 02 (4th one over 30 years), to me the 02 is all about emotional feel. I have fun with it and it’s still a lot cheaper than my daily driver and a lot more fun at 50 mph 

E64FD558-60E6-461B-9453-6976E0FCA254.thumb.jpeg.83bec21eaf22c4bafa6b420caa56fea1.jpeg

• Like 2

I don't take myself or opinions Seriously

My 4th 2002 and the first set of Square Tail-Lights

See the 4 versions of my 2002 project here: SoCal S2002 | Facebook

5 hours ago, NYNick said:

I was wondering how long it would take for this thread to go off the rails but man, that's just an ugly train wreck.

It’s like all threads about ‘money’ and ‘value’. 

They don’t call it the root of all evil for nothing. 

• Like 3

rtheriaque wrote:

Carbs: They're necessary and barely controlled fuel leaks that sometimes match the air passing through them.

My build blog:http://www.bmw2002faq.com/blog/163-simeons-blog/

5 hours ago, deschodt said:

I can see an electrified future where gas cars are forbidden in cities and yet people keep one stick shift classic that makes vroom vroom noises - regardless of expense/laws, and the price goes even higher...

Edited 5 hours ago by deschodt

Vroom vroom noises...... ???

5 hours ago, deschodt said:

I can see an electrified future where gas cars are forbidden in cities and yet people keep one stick shift classic that makes vroom vroom noises - regardless of expense/laws

Rush should write a song about that.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

I’m not a proponent of paying $2,000 for a new set of front grilles, $1,500 for a fender or $$$$ for whatever for one of these cars. It’s simply ridiculous and unethical. If   Some of you want to legitimize it through supply demand economics or “Capitalism”, go right ahead. But count me out. I will never sell my parts for such exorbitant and marked up prices. I’m not here to peddle wares and 02 parts. In the end, I’ll most likely just give it all away to somebody who really needs them.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

51 minutes ago, Slavs said:

I’m not a proponent of paying $2,000 for a new set of front grilles, $1,500 for a fender or $$$$ for whatever for one of these cars. It’s simply ridiculous and unethical. If   Some of you want to legitimize it through supply demand economics or “Capitalism”, go right ahead. But count me out. I will never sell my parts for such exorbitant and marked up prices. I’m not here to peddle wares and 02 parts. In the end, I’ll most likely just give it all away to somebody who really needs them.

Perfect. That way you alone can establish whether someone needs something, and help them. They will be grateful!  

I really need a shallow grill, passenger side, for my 1973. If you do have one, I’ll take it for free. Do you pay for shipping?

You should consider writing  a strongly worded letter to BMW as well. They need to know that you take issue with the prices of their car parts. 

Edited by lilmo
  • Haha 2

1973 tii, agave, since 1992

1973 tii block 2763759

1967 Mustang GT fastback, since 1986

1999 Toyota 4Runner, 5 speed, ELocker, Supercharged