• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Swap choice frustrations...

2002VT

If an M10 with a turbo isn't scary enough, then keep adding more turbo until sufficient.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lbtgGTZflHw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sx1gD_OSl00

Edited by KFunk

Bring a Welder

1974 2002, 1965 Datsun L320 truck, 1981 Yamaha XS400, 1983 Yamaha RX50, 1992 Miata Miata drivetrain waiting on a Locost frame, 1999 Toyota Land Cruiser

On 5/5/2019 at 1:49 AM, 2002VT said:

Do you have to compensate for additional carpet when you do the upholstery?

I hacked tunnel to accommodate Getrag 280. C.console perfectly hides the cut i made to the centerline of carpet. Also said console needed to be modificated to fit. I made it a bit wider so it conceals tunnels rised roof. Quite stock look.

2002 -73 M2, 2002 -71 forced induction. bnr32 -91

Andrew, that m20 sounds amazing, even if it only makes 207hp ??

Seems nothing is off the table sometimes when it comes to swaps...completely different take on things, but here's a couple maniacs putting a V12 MB into a Datsun 280Z... 

https://autoweek.com/article/diy/update-swapping-mercedes-v12-datsun-280z

not for the purists...

'69 Granada... long, long ago  

'71 Manila..such a great car

'67 Granada 2000CS...way cool

Eh, the M20 is kinda like a weenie nephew who just wants to fart and play video games-

Anything has its compromises, but if you're going to go to the trouble of the M20 block, go all the way 

to 3.2 liters and DOHC.  I suppose if you had to, you could stick sidedrafts on it, but

the E46M3 induction is not ugly.  And IS powerful.

Swaps are really personal, so all we're doing is sharing our preferences and prejudices,

based on what each of US likes in a car.  YOU get to do it YOUR way.

t

we can probably help with that.  But you'll need stitches...

• Like 1

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

• 5 months later...

Hey gang,

I did some real soul searching on my topic over the past months as many of you suggested, and I narrowed it down to my following requirements.

1) Has to be a BMW motor. 
2) has to be 300+ hp, but can’t be without some good seat of the pants torque. 
3) budge max - $10,000. 

Thinking a tuned S54/S62...just worried about the front end fatty. 

Edited by 2002VT
Additional info

2 hours ago, 2002VT said:

1) Has to be a BMW motor. 
2) has to be 300+ hp, but can’t be without some good seat of the pants torque. 
3) budge max - $10,000. 

Realistically, you can meet 2 of those 3 requirements.

You'll also need to budget for suspension and brakes since you're almost triple the HP of what the car was designed for. 

• Like 2

John Baas

1976 BMW 2002

2001 BMW M5

My Blog!

17 minutes ago, SteadFast said:

K20/24 would be the business.  Reliable 230-240hp.  KMiata makes a kit to swap a BMW transmission on (so it is partly BMW lol).  There is a big following of people swapping these motors into other cars, therefor there is a lot of data/info/support.  

I just can’t do it. I was nearly there. The trouble is I am just such a bmw fanboy. Lol

M42, the M10 to M42 conv has been well documented in the FAQ. Read this thread to learn more about some HP upgrades to the motor. Do you really need outrageous power in a very lightweight car???

https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/project-cars/1991-bmw-318is/project-bmw-318is-engine-teardown/ 

• Like 2

74 tii (many mods)
91 318i M42

07 4Runner

50 minutes ago, Gordon said:

M42, the M10 to M42 conv has been well documented in the FAQ. Read this thread to learn more about some HP upgrades to the motor. Do you really need outrageous power in a very lightweight car???

https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/project-cars/1991-bmw-318is/project-bmw-318is-engine-teardown/ 

Had something like that. Used to own a Mercedes SLK 32 supercharged 6 in a two seater. Was a blast to weave in an out of traffic. But eventually got a little tired of when approaching warp speed I felt like I was trying to drive a giant  espresso-fueled squirrel being chased by a cheetah on Meth....

• Haha 4

Loose: Not tightly bound. Subject to motion.
Lose: What happens when you are spell check dependent.

1975 Malaga. It is rusty and  springs an occasional leak.  Just like me.