• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Weird dimples in my tires.

Broken steel belts. Best to replace them soon. < I stand corrected by subsequent posts. 

Edited by adawil2002

Andrew Wilson
Vern- 1973 2002tii, https://www.bmw2002faq.com/blogs/blog/304-andrew-wilsons-vern-restoration/ 
Veronika- 1968 1600 Cabriolet, Athena- 1973 3.0 CSi,  Rodney- 1988 M5, The M3- 1997 M3,

The Unicorn- 2007 X3, Julia- 2007 Z4 Coupe, Ophelia- 2014 X3, Herman- 1914 KisselKar 4-40

https://www.continental-tires.com/car/technology/tire-knowledge/lex-1-4

A common byproduct of radial tire construction, sidewall indentations/undulations are more noticeable in tires with taller sidewalls or operate at higher inflation pressures. Fortunately sidewall indentations are a cosmetic condition that does not affect the performance of the tires

The sidewall of a tire is not always completely even; there are sometimes bumps, and indentations, which may require a more detailed inspection to decide the cause. Indentations are harmless and are not detrimental either to safety or to driving characteristics. They are only a visual condition.

• Like 1

Caused by nylon strapping used during shipping, primarily. If this is the worst of it, you're absolutely OK. I bet it's on all four and probably symmetrical (2 or 4 indents per tire)

Paul Wegweiser

Wegweiser Classic BMW Services

Nationwide vehicle transport available

NEW WEBSITE! www.zenwrench.com

43 minutes ago, wegweiser said:

Caused by nylon strapping used during shipping, primarily. If this is the worst of it, you're absolutely OK. I bet it's on all four and probably symmetrical (2 or 4 indents per tire)

Sidewall undulations will not compromise the performance of your tire. They are only a cosmetic tire characteristic.

Sidewall undulation occurs naturally on radial tires because of the way they are constructed. Just inside the outer walls of your radial tire, it is wrapped with sturdy fabric cords to reinforce its strength. The more strength needed for your particular tire, the more layers there will be of the fabric cords (or ply) .

Those cords are generally wrapped directly up and down vertically over the sidewall, not across it at an angle. Because of that construction, you can sometimes see the sidewall ripples where the rubber compound presses tightly against the thin vertical spaces between the tightly wrapped ply cords.

• Like 1

Don't think it's failing steel belts.  They're located under the tread, not the sidewalls.  If you had impending belt failure/separation, there would be a noticeable bulge under the tread in a certain area of the tire's circumference.   As the separation got worse, you'd hear a distinctive, speed-dependent thump--every time the separating belt section hit the pavement, there'd be a thump.  

A flaw (like an air bubble) in sidewall construction would be a noticeable bulge.

My '73 came with a set of Semperit steel belted radials (replacement tires) when I bought it in 1978.  Within 12k or so, three of the four failed due to belt separation, and Semperit finally bought the fourth back before it failed.  More recently I had a fairly sudden (within 15-20 miles from initial thump to boom) catastrophic belt failure of a Dunlop tire on my Nissan D21 truck (at 70 mph!) 

I think you're OK...

mike

• Like 1

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Yes your good to go for some reason Goodyear seem to show these indentations more than most brands but your fine as Mike noted a broken belt will make a thump and they also tent to squiggle a bit with every rotation and it's a serious problem that needs attention right away. 

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944

In the 70s when the US mfrs tried their hand at producing radial tires, these tight wraps were all over the place.  European mfrs were way ahead at making radials.

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.

15 hours ago, Dudeland said:

We always called that a belt shift. This is when the supporting structure moves, most likely caused by under inflation when hitting a pot hole, or plainly cheap tires .

it has nothing to do with inflation, pot holes or cheap

Sidewall undulation occurs naturally on radial tires because of the way they are constructed. Just inside the outer walls of your radial tire, it is wrapped with sturdy fabric cords to reinforce its strength. The more strength needed for your particular tire, the more layers there will be of the fabric cords (or ply) .

Those cords are generally wrapped directly up and down vertically over the sidewall, not across it at an angle. Because of that construction, you can sometimes see the sidewall ripples where the rubber compound presses tightly against the thin vertical spaces between the tightly wrapped ply cords.

• Like 1

Although the OP’s example is particularly well defined — maybe the raking light highlights it — am I the only forum member that has seen hundreds of these dimples, on new/old/expensive/cheap tires? I’ve simply assumed, for about 40 years, that small sidewall dimples occur in the ordinary course of tire manufacturing. This assumption was not based on any particular knowledge of tire construction; it was based solely on the frequency of seeing such dimples!

I certainly hope esty is correct, as I’m not about to start worrying about these things now... ?

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

Pretty common in my fleet, too.  It's the ones that have that bulge circumferentially that you're supposed to worry about, I guess.

That said,

"DIMPLES"  are back!

Think they can infect your cowl panel, too???

hee

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL