• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Extreme shortage of s14 engines, what’s a good second choice

I had thought of going with a S14 but ended up going with a turbo M42.  Not everyone's choice but I smile my ass off everytime I drive the darn thing. It pulls like crazy and has better numbers than Ray's car what more can one ask for :)

• Like 2

1975 non-purist driver M42 Turbo, Hurricane a/c, and all sorts of cool stuff

1976 2002 sold, 1970 2002 sold, 1969 1600 sold

The m42 is a good choice if you want to stay with 4 cylinders and the m20 will probably be the cheapest route to more power, the S14 prices are insane and only going to go up and probably drastically in the future due to the low numbers made. 

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944

2 hours ago, KenH said:

It pulls like crazy and has better numbers than Ray's car what more can one ask for :)

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA.... Ray's doesn't have a squirrel cage on his though :D

Image result for kermit but that's none of my business

Many folks tend towards an M20 for big torque on the streets.  

Ed

'69 Granada... long, long ago  

'71 Manila..such a great car

'67 Granada 2000CS...way cool

Knowing your goals for the car would be helpful. Big horsepower? Weekend cruiser/canyon carver? Track time? Budget?

Stock M10

Modified M10

M20

add Turbo to any of the above.....

1972 Tii

1997 Land Rover Defender LE #127

There is a guy that goes to Katie’s cars and coffee (great falls Va) that has a Nissan engine in his 2002.  Not sure what exact engine it is though. I’d bet he is on this forum.

p.S. if anyone has a s14 and needs a kidney send me a pm. 

• Haha 1

I was just at the post office and a guy asked me if I needed an engine for my car.

I said, thankfully no.  I asked what he had and he said an S14.  I told him he should have no trouble selling it.  70k mile engine he said.  I assured him that they have gotten quite valuable and even steered him towards this thread.  He sorta shrugged.  Maybe I should have gotten his contact information.  Nah.  Real cars have carburetors. ;)

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, '76mintgrun'02 said:

I was just at the post office and a guy asked me if I needed an engine for my car.

I said, thankfully no.  I asked what he had and he said an S14.  I told him he should have no trouble selling it.  70k mile engine he said.  I assured him that they have gotten quite valuable and even steered him towards this thread.  He sorta shrugged.  Maybe I should have gotten his contact information.  Nah.  Real cars have carburetors. ;)

Tom,

I sold him that engine and yes, that mileage is correct.  

Regarding the original question, having built an M2 back in the late nineties, I said then that if I had it to do over, I would have built a nice M10 with side-drafts, cam, etc.  While I love the S14, it belongs in an E30M3 but heck, I'm old school obviously.

Bill

Bill 

1973 3.0 CS Nachtblau

1970 2002 Chamonix

1965 1800 Chamonix

What’s wrong with the m10?  Performance m10s can be quite fun.  M20s will give you a Big Bang for the buck and m42 turbos will give you big hp and not add weight to the front end.  What’s the budget and what’s your expectation for power and reliability.  Outside of bmw engines the Honda f20c turbo with a 6 speed is a rocket ship.  But it’s more Honda with a 2002 body on it isn’t it?   Again what’s the expectation and what’s the budget?  

1976 BMW 2002 Fjord Blue Ireland Stage II • Bilstein Sports • Ireland Headers • Weber 38 • 292 Cam • 9.5:1 Pistons • 123Tune Bluetooth 15" BBS

2018 BMW M550i X-Drive

1964 Volvo Amazon Wagon
http://www.project2002.com