• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

$40K driver 2002 at RM Amelia

dbower

19 hours ago, Conserv said:

Because, Nick, the supports are quite visible through the grille if your car’s body color is something other than black. Stated differently, body-colored hood supports undermine the appearance of the grilles and front end by becoming a distraction.  BMW noted this from the outset and slapped black paint on ‘02’s hood supports, so as not to detract from their design intent.

Enlarge the two photos attached.  The first photo, (A.), shows my ‘76 with no black paint applied behind the grille.  The second photo, (B.), shows my ‘76 with hood supports and grille mounting tabs blacked out.  Choose the look you prefer: (A.) or (B.)....?

Best regards,

Steve

9497F38F-3330-4DBA-8291-CAEE0FF91AC5.jpeg

78E6F453-2834-4858-B396-319CCE1A5999.jpeg

Of course you're correct. You and I actually discussed this very topic last year sometime. 

I was confused, once again. I thought we were talking about the hinges. My bad. Thank you for being so courteous. : )

1974 2002 Tii-SOLD

1978 911SC Coupe

1988 Landcruiser

2020 M2 CS

1 hour ago, NYNick said:

Of course you're correct. You and I actually discussed this very topic last year sometime. 

I was confused, once again. I thought we were talking about the hinges. My bad. Thank you for being so courteous. : )

That sounds like a vote for (B.) to me, Nick!  Good choice! ?

Best regards,

Steve

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/13/2018 at 8:35 AM, Conserv said:

With the exception of Schwarz cars, and possibly some other very dark colors, e.g., Atlantik, the hood supports behind the front grilles were (sloppily) brush-painted black at the factory so that they would not be visible through the grilles.  I’ve now seen a few examples — that also appear to be original — where the factory’s black paint was considerably more than just the hood supports.  These examples, however, seem to represent a minority.

Regards,

Steve

Now I understand why 

thank you for your response

On ‎3‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 7:35 AM, Conserv said:

With the exception of Schwarz cars, and possibly some other very dark colors, e.g., Atlantik, the hood supports behind the front grilles were (sloppily) brush-painted black at the factory so that they would not be visible through the grilles.  I’ve now seen a few examples — that also appear to be original — where the factory’s black paint was considerably more than just the hood supports.  These examples, however, seem to represent a minority.

Regards,

Steve

Here's a couple of pics of my "gone but not forgotten" '76 Sahara. Pretty much everything behind the grills was painted flat black.

DSCN2946sm.JPG.a2facd45be88800c93d37f7aece329e1.JPG

DSCN3815sm.JPG.70947fc38eee570d727c5357bb78a48d.JPG

• Like 1

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

On 4/9/2018 at 11:01 PM, 02Les said:

Here's a couple of pics of my "gone but not forgotten" '76 Sahara. Pretty much everything behind the grills was painted flat black.

DSCN2946sm.JPG.a2facd45be88800c93d37f7aece329e1.JPG

DSCN3815sm.JPG.70947fc38eee570d727c5357bb78a48d.JPG

Thanks, as always, Les,

My non-statistically-valid comment is that every example I’ve seen, thus far, of extensive factory black-out painting — as we see here on your Sahara car — appeared on a square taillight car.  (Maybe this broad statement will bring out a few round taillights with extensive factory black-out painting!)

Best regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

• 10 months later...
11 hours ago, Vintagedavid said:

My early 72TII has dash control writing + fasten seat belt pod on top of dash.  I also have yellow center tail lights.

David,

All U.S.-spec 1972 cars have these features, and Canadian-imported 1972 ‘02’s were U.S.-spec cars, for whatever reason.

I’m assuming the VIN is somewhere in the 2760001 through 2762629 range.

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

I’ve been thinking of cleaning my headlights. Maybe I’ll paint my hood supports at the same time. 

Vintage prep you know. 

02Les, are you guys going this year? I’d love to see you guys. 

John

edit.   Man I thought for sure you could see the supports in this pic!

967B23DA-EA2F-4CA1-80C2-C61EF427D2EA.jpeg

Edited by Harv
  • Like 1

Fresh squeezed horseshoes and hand grenades

Can someone tell me what kind of rims those are. I had a set I lost in a move. I got them for my old bug, but never had time to install them.

I mean on the car that stared the thread.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Goosed" 1975 BMW 2002

4 hours ago, Dudeland said:

Can someone tell me what kind of rims those are. I had a set I lost in a move. I got them for my old bug, but never had time to install them.

I mean on the car that stared the thread.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ats

• Like 1

avaTour2.jpg.52fb4debc1ca18590681ac95bc6f527f.jpg

Just found this 

I guess I’m amazed at such a big price for a non tii car, with all its obvious flaws

And as the Sotheby’s add says, it’s the last year for roundie taillights LOL

You’d think Sotheby’s could do a little research before auctioning the car

72 2002tii

1988 535is  “Maeve”

4 hours ago, gwb72tii said:

Just found this 

I guess I’m amazed at such a big price for a non tii car, with all its obvious flaws

And as the Sotheby’s add says, it’s the last year for roundie taillights LOL

You’d think Sotheby’s could do a little research before auctioning the car

You should be amazed. Whoever bought it must have been really high' on champagne and caviar'

. Nice car for sure but jezus krist it wasn't worth that much

Edited by iinca