• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Transmission(s) CR 5sp and Others......

markmac

Mark, I also sent you a message.

Just purchased a rebuilt 235/5 box from Retro Engineering, and it was less than $7K. Won't know the exact amount until I see what the credit card conversion works out to.

Edited by otisdog

Many thanks to all, quite a bit of really great info - its good to have some options.  Bottom of the list at least for the moment is rebuilding what I have (unless my bmw parts manager friend or Byron pulls a rabbit out of their hat(s)).  I can hold on to this one and look for parts at my leisure...

Seems like the best path at the moment is to marry up a 245/11 CR section with a 245/5 bell housing.  One of the FAQr's has a 245/11 CR box I might be able to acquire, then I would just need to find the bell housing to a 245/5 and then marry the two up.  Based on what folks have suggested this is really a better option than a 235/5 in terms of strength and parts availability.

As far as the MM CR 4 speed, sounds interesting and really i don't know that you need 5 gears if you have 4 of the right ones (I seem to recall Porsche 917's ran 4speed gear boxes.....).  Straight cut gears are intriguing, cost would be the same as re-doing my 235/5 CR gears, could be something for the future.  They are loud as hell i will say.

Reading about cr 5sp available in GB, are these folks getting these trans from some other    vehicle(s)that used that tranny (and not avail to u.s. domestic market), or was someone just forward thinking enough back in the day to squirrel away a lot of them?

Gale H.

71 2002 daily driver

70 2002 malaga (pc)

83 320i (pc)

I wondered why the 235/5's seemed to all be overseas....

The transmission was an option, and some were obviously ordered. But in the US, an ordered car was a rare bird (but my parents managed to order a couple to their specs, for european delivery) and your only options were which car to buy out of their inventory. It was even rare to have a choice of cars off of one lot.

Hi Mark, if you need parts for a racing gearbox 235/6 or 235/8 you can contact me. You can get the gearwheels new as a complete set. First gearwheel pair and reverse you have to buy at BMW. These are standard parts and in all versions of the 235 the same. Yes I know the first gear differs between stock 3,85:1 or somethin like that and 2,71:1 and 2,33:1 but anyway, the first gear is the same wheelpair. The difference is made by the ratio of the input shaft!

Ahh and you need a good mechanic who is able to put the parts together;--) 

If you do not want a racing gearbox (the car had one) maybe I can help you with used gearwheels for the 235/5 variant. 

W.

20170916_190044.jpg

2 hours ago, otisdog said:

I wondered why the 235/5's seemed to all be overseas....

The transmission was an option, and some were obviously ordered. But in the US, an ordered car was a rare bird (but my parents managed to order a couple to their specs, for european delivery) and your only options were which car to buy out of their inventory. It was even rare to have a choice of cars off of one lot.

None of the USA 2002 literature I have even mentions a 5 speed gearbox as an option; while they were available on "rest of the world" cars, they weren't for the US market.  Dunno if that was a Hoffman Motors decision (fewer parts to carry, why we didn't get the Touring) or whether the engine/5 speed had to get Federal emissions testing approval to be sold here.  

From what I've heard, "special friends" of Max Hoffman were able to get  CR five speed car--possibly an ex auto show car.

The only way around getting "Euro only" options (electric sunroofs, cloth interiors, non-standard-for-the-US colors etc) was if you ordered the car directly from the factory--military and diplomatic personnel stationed overseas could do this, you couldn't from the US.  

I did order my '69 new here in the US, but had to wait several months until a Nevada sunroof car with Michelin XAS tires came in a shipment from Germany. 

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

6 hours ago, TobyB said:

At one point, I thought a Muncie M22 might be worth trying-

4 gears, all of them useful...

Aptly nicknamed "The Rockcrusher". Had one in a '70 GTO...took a lot of abuse and asked for more. Great box behind a V8. 

Ed

'69 Granada... long, long ago  

'71 Manila..such a great car

'67 Granada 2000CS...way cool