• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is the uptick in 02 values affecting how much you drive your '02?

Mike Self

1 hour ago, Guest_anonymous said:

Yes, that's why I won't let Dale, Danny, Karl or Ray drive it. They're getting too old and slow. Now Marshall, he has no interest in driving. C.D once said, if all my parts were from the junque yard, my car is junque. I agree! The tii in boxes, well that's another story

You forgot to mention that I was too slow on some of those fun runs?.

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

30 minutes ago, jgerock said:

You forgot to mention that I was too slow on some of those fun runs?.

He's getting quite forgetful in his old age; he doesn't even remember me driving his car.

:P

• Haha 1

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

11 hours ago, AustrianVespaGuy said:

That's the heart of it! I've actually been deeply saddened by the fact that I've upped my stated value insurance policy by about $10k over the last 4 years.  As others have said since I never intend to sell the car, the monetary value is all but meaningless, and on the other side of the coin it has meant that parts and other 2002s have also been getting expensive.  Perhaps it was inevitable as they got older, but now I'm thinking I need to go ahead and buy a second one before they get too scarce to find affordably!!! :D Truth be told, I AM driving Asterix less these days, but that's because I'm saddled with a toddler and infant for the daily daycare run which, any way you slice it, the E39 is better for.  But hey, next project, rear 3-point seat belts so that as soon as the kids are forward-facing, back to getting Asterix out at least twice a week!

Let me guess, The E39 is doing the heavy lifting and is called...Obelix. 

• Haha 1

Loose: Not tightly bound. Subject to motion.
Lose: What happens when you are spell check dependent.

1975 Malaga. It is rusty and  springs an occasional leak.  Just like me. 

1 hour ago, ray_ said:

He's getting quite forgetful in his old age; he doesn't even remember me driving his car.

:P

Wait- you have a 2002?  Or you had one until a few months ago?  Doesn't the inka car need a 4.10 gear set or a carbon fiber hood?

• Haha 1

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

Since my 02 is my only car, no I don't drive it less, since the prices have escalated. I'll likely tweak my stated value insurance up a bit, say to around 30K. I've driven 02's since 1985, and I'm only on my second one. The first one driven for about 12 years, and suffered multiple rear-end smacks and finally was retired, but not before donating my parts and spares to the replacement 02 (both 74's). .

I have always been careful where I park, since both cars, the past one and present one, have very nice paint jobs and trim, and I don't want any damage.

I'll never sell it,

20170528_101223.jpg

• Like 2

On 11/24/2017 at 10:47 AM, mike said:

Folks, I'm working on a column that discusses how the (relatively) sudden increase in values and sales prices of our cars is affecting how you use yours.  I know that many of us drive our cars regularly--on a daily basis--at least part of the year (you lucky folks who don't live in Salt Country can do this year-round).  Does the fact that you're now driving a $15-20k car vs a $4-5k a few years ago affect your driving frequency?  If so, why--or why not?

I have owned my '73tii now for 25 years.  It's an original survivor, wearing original Verona paint.  When purchased the car came with assorted dings, dents and scrapes, but nothing drastic.  The car has lived in Chicago (7 years), Philadelphia (12 years) and and South Carolina (6 years).  It's always been garaged, and driven only in summers while residing in the colder / salt climates.  

While is Chicago the valuation was mostly flat (1992-1999) and I drove it where ever and when ever.  Mind you it has always been a second car and brought out for fun, not daily driving.  

While in Philadelphia the valuation creep a bit (1999-2011) and I started to understand the rarity (not overly rare I understand) of originality and it being a survivor.  I didn't drive it less, but perhaps drove it more consciously, and parked it away from all the 6000 pound SUVs.  That said, I also did a high performance track event in it at Summit Point while I lived in Philadelphia.  

Since moving to South Carolina (2011+), I have more then double the Hagerty insurance on the car, and am probably still low on insurance.  The car is still used about the same amount, but again, more focused on shows and pleasure drives.  It went to Hilton Head the other week, 400 miles roundtrip (without a hitch) which is probably half of the miles I put on in a year.  I will occasionally still take it out to run errands at the hardware store in town, but again, parking away from the fleet of F-250s, and F-350s in the parking lot.  

So frequency, perhaps yes, I drive it less frequently.  I do drive it the same, or perhaps even more miles.  Its more the destinations (shows, pleasure drives to a "travel" destination) and care when using (high alertness to other drivers, parking) that has changed.  I still let my teenage son and adult daughter drive the car if they want.  My wife doesn't like the pedal action, so she mostly sticks to the DS21 (when its operable).  

Cheers,

David

Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.

Benjamin Franklin

73 tii (Verona, survivor, owned since '92)

66 DS21 (most technologically advanced car of the 20th Century)

i drive my car about the same as when i bought it. about once a week and 2-3k miles a year

the only change is i was careful before and now i'm even more careful, i do live in LA and it is very congested here 6 or 7 days a week so i'm on guard.

i also upped my agreed value insurance through chubb's from 25k when i bought it to 40k today

18' Racing Yellow 911 GT3
71' Agave Green 2002
10' Silver Landcruiser 200 series
10' White Landcruiser Prado 150 series

I like to watch the BAT auctions because it's fun to pretend I may get money out of a black hole someday (when I'm at/near death)... 

It believe it will be equally fun to watch the bottom fall out of the market and buy a second one from a speculator who messed up their market timing and never drove or enjoyed their thousand point resto...

Cant lose either way.

Greg

I'm a driver, not an investor, and the uptick does not change a thing for me. The real pleasure in these cars is driving them hard, no? I've always thought that's where the magic is. Like Carl said, I don't see monetary value in it because I don't think I could ever bring myself to sell it...well, that was before I got to drive a Shelby GT350R last week:D. I think they come with a free jail time package!

Bob

71 2002

85 M635

89 327is

98 M3

This is a topic I've been thinking about as my Inka '74 is bring restored (slowly).  In '81 it became a second car and over time evolved as my fun to drive car.  Over time it was getting driven for any good reason mostly on weekends and to club events.  As with all restorations, starting at fixing the rusted frame rails has evolved into much more.  With the car off the road, I miss driving it and look forward to the day when it's back on the road.  At that point I plan to drive it as before.  The big fear is with the lousy road conditions in South Carolina that something unwanted will happen like it has to all of our other vehicles.  At least with higher valuations, on paper it doesn't look like the cost of the restoration is unreasonable.