• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ultimate relays and fuses upgrade

AustrianVespaGuy

I'm sure others of your out there are in a similar boat as me, which is with several upgrades and additions installed on the '02, in addition to upgrading the alternator, we also need additional relays, fuses, and sundry wiring to get power to everything.  'Everything' in my case is a pretty long list, including Megasquirt ECU, injectors, EDIS module, fuel pump, electric cooling fan, and driving lights.  I also like to try to keep my engine bay wiring as clean as possible, which has led me on the quest for the best way to add in these necessary parts in the cleanest and most efficient way possible.  I'm now on my third iteration, but think I've finally nailed it!  It's not all done yet, but I've got it all planned and will post progress as I go along.  The secret weapon that I found was this perfect 6x relay and 6x fuse box on Amazon for only $16, including all of the connectors!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B072KJNPHJ

Granted it's 5x 'normal' Bosch style relays plus one goofy Toyota style relay for I-don't-know-why, but for the price, I'm not really complaining.

So, on to the wiring plan.  Until now I resisted cutting off the original relay bracket, but to gain enough room and for a cleaner looking final installation, it's now time to do so.  I don't think I'll ever miss it, I just don't like cutting original metal, so this is a rare exception for me.  In a similar vein, I'm also going to retain as much of the original wiring where possible and only change what I feel is necessary (like adding a relay for the high beams) and this also helps for future troubleshooting, since the stock wiring diagram will still be 95% applicable, and I only need to keep track of the 5% changes I make.  So, I'm posting my wiring diagram to share for any that are interested in also undertaking a similar endeavor.  I actually need 7 relays in total, so the only one not included here is the one for the cooling fan.  As you can see I do have the fuse for it here, and this just goes to terminal 30 of the fan relay located up in the nose of the car.  The power for the driving lights is also supplied from the same 'hot only in run' relay, but they will be controlled by a duty cycle modulator to function as daytime running lights at ~50% power and then switch to full power when the high beams come on.  I'll post a separate topic just on this when I get it fully drawn up.  Please feel free to ask any questions if you're interested this or need other wiring advice and I'll be happy to help!

New relay wiring.pdf

-Carl

• Like 3

Nice work.

Looking forward to seeing that. I have collected the parts to upgrade my wiring (just need to upgrade my available time to do it).  I am going to add a 60A circuit breaker to an upgraded main feed from the battery (the 6mm wire that drops from the front panel to the battery) plus an additional under hood fuse box for horn, head light feed to the relays I added some time ago, electric fan etc. This, along with upgraded wiring to the alternator and new battery cables should clean things up nicely. 

rtheriaque wrote:

Carbs: They're necessary and barely controlled fuel leaks that sometimes match the air passing through them.

My build blog:http://www.bmw2002faq.com/blog/163-simeons-blog/

• 4 weeks later...

Have you made any progress on this?  I would live to see some installed pics.

I'm in process of stripping my engine bay and would love to remove the factory relay bar and replace it with something else.  I'm already planning on cleaning up the wiring harness.

John Baas

1976 BMW 2002

2001 BMW M5

My Blog!

• 1 year later...

can you kindly provide some pix of your installation?  Thanks, Mike

Edited by Mike A

73 Tii stock build, Porsche Macan   , E46 330i Florida driver, 

….and like most of us, way too many (maybe 30 at last count) I wish I hadn't sold ?

I was somewhat surprised to see my post in September 2017 above talking about buying components for a wiring upgrade that I finally got around to in May 2019!

i need to pick up the pace...

• Like 1

rtheriaque wrote:

Carbs: They're necessary and barely controlled fuel leaks that sometimes match the air passing through them.

My build blog:http://www.bmw2002faq.com/blog/163-simeons-blog/

I'm going the Bussmann RTMR route, relocating it into the cabin - http://www.bodenzord.com/archives/473

I got all the parts, the wiring harness is pulled out, and I've got my new wiring plans scribbled on various pieces of paper, but not quite ready to start wiring it up.  Hopefully in the next month or so now that the weather is warming up.

John Baas

1976 BMW 2002

2001 BMW M5

My Blog!

Keep us updated...nothing adds bling better than a nice tidy electrical harness and panel

….and like most of us, way too many (maybe 30 at last count) I wish I hadn't sold ?

@xr4tic-I went the same way, actually tried the micro approach first (mouser electronics) and then went RTMC in the area vacated by the battery for driving, fog, high beam, low beam, and horn. Inside the cabin would be better for sure, I didn’t feel like relocating parts of the harness. Very clean install!

'72 BMW 2002tii

'00 Porsche 911

Ill bet it's fully documented too