• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ultimate relays and fuses upgrade

AustrianVespaGuy

In my updating of my 76 project I have added 4 power accessories in the cabin as well as A/C.

In the Engine Bay I've added relays for Driving lights, Airhorns, Electric cooling fan which all had inline fuses, I HATE inline fuses.

For my interior accessories I added a powered 6 mini fuse block which is now all full:

1878279414_Fuseinterior.thumb.jpg.ac51746e13bf7c13fabcb24eb34727b1.jpg

Hated the way the inline fuses make everything look hacked in:

576865466_Fuselose.jpg.15a8b6f984a4132d1e42398f46aee0b5.jpg

I added a 6 mini fuse Buss, I still need to tape everything up to clean it clean:

1247610729_FuseBlock.jpg.ebb40a5609575734eb01c378dca6ffed.jpg

• Like 4

I don't take myself or opinions Seriously

My 4th 2002 and the first set of Square Tail-Lights

See the 4 versions of my 2002 project here: SoCal S2002 | Facebook

23 hours ago, chargin said:

Hated the way the inline fuses make everything look hacked in:

Yeah, I've always felt in-line fuses were really amateur league, so I personally applaud your revamped solution! :D

@pato2002 OT, but how did you go about supporting your air filter?  My setup is about the same and I use a little block of wood screwed to the filter with a hole in that mates with a bolt coming through the front clip sheet metal, which works surprisingly well, but curious if there's 'a better mousetrap' solution out there!

17 hours ago, pato2002 said:

I haven't finished yet but also used that 5-relay, 6-fuse box from Amazon and also bought a 10-fuse ATC box that I installed using a 3D printed adapter plate and some jumpers.

engine bay.jpg

Looks like it should be there, especially on an EFI setup.

OK, some quick answers/ photos.

For the 10-fuse block, I bought this one and am quite pleased, It is good quality construction. If you cannot make the adapter, they have another that has the spades on top.

To connect it, I made some short (~3in) pigtails with male/ female spade connectors. It is pretty tight but I didnt really want to cut all the originals. There may be a more elegant solution.

Honestly, I would not recommend the 6-fuse, 5-relay box. It it fussy regarding the connectors and is pretty cheap construction. I will be looking for a nicer solution but live with this for now.

To support the filter, I printed a U-shaped saddle that press-fits onto the bumper bolt. I may add some glue for security but it fits tight and does a good job of supporting the filter. That said, I haven't put any miles on it yet. I will look for a better photo tonight. If you want the file, let me know.

Lastly, no one asked but I highly recommend this cable wrap. Soooo much better than tape or the cruddy corrugated tube.

ATO Fuse Box.jpg

Fuse Box Adapter.jpg

Filter Support.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1974 BMW 2002 (in progress)

1987 Porsche 911 (mostly complete)

Blog: Broken Boomerang

OK, some quick answers/ photos.

For the 10-fuse block, I bought this one and am quite pleased, It is good quality construction. If you cannot make the adapter, they have another that has the spades on top.

To connect it, I made some short (~3in) pigtails with male/ female spade connectors. It is pretty tight but I didnt really want to cut all the originals. There may be a more elegant solution.

Honestly, I would not recommend the 6-fuse, 5-relay box. It it fussy regarding the connectors and is pretty cheap construction. I will be looking for a nicer solution but live with this for now.

To support the filter, I printed a U-shaped saddle that press-fits onto the bumper bolt. I may add some glue for security but it fits tight and does a good job of supporting the filter. That said, I haven't put any miles on it yet. I will look for a better photo tonight. If you want the file, let me know.

Lastly, no one asked but I highly recommend this cable wrap. Soooo much better than tape or the cruddy corrugated tube.

570659616_ATOFuseBox.thumb.jpg.8bdcc6f111618cfd3569dd06ec13cad6.jpg
1192485683_FuseBoxAdapter.thumb.jpg.504ab925285cb5d0ee3ce7502db21fb6.jpg
620845057_FilterSupport.thumb.jpg.50c220bc4171d248cbc54291906005fc.jpg

That’s awesome. Can you share the 3D print file?

Here's what I've bought so far:

Bussmann 15303-4:  Will hold 5 relays and 10 fuses

Littelfuse HWB18:  Wild hold 3 relays and 3 fuses

Lots of Delphi Weatherpak connectors

800+ ft of TXL wire (12,14,18 GA in 11 colors)

The Bussmann will be relocated under the dash.

The HWB18 will replace the 2 relays for the lights + my electric fan relay in the engine compartment.  I'm going to hide it in the headlight area.  The horn relay will be moved inside.

3 of the 12 original fuses are for the headlights which I'm moving to the engine bay (fused off the battery)  There's also one for the rear defrost that I don't have on my car, so that's 4 of the 12 that can go.

I think for relays on the Bussmann, it will be:  2 for ignition, 1 for fuel pump, 2 for extra.  I might remove one relay to add two more fuses, then I could have 1 relay and a couple fuses for an EFI system later on.

I'm still trying to figure out where to put the 22-pin Delphi bulkhead connector though, it's way bigger than I thought.

• Like 1

John Baas

1976 BMW 2002

2001 BMW M5

My Blog!

Fuses is mostly a personal preference thing depending on how you plan your wiring, but for relays in general I can provide the following guidance:

1.) Low beams

2.) High beams

3.) Horn

4.) Cooling fan

5.) Aux lights

6.) Fuel pump

7a.) 'Green wire' hot in Run&Start for misc. 'stuff'

7b.) 'Purple wire' hot in Aux&Run for misc. 'stuff'

8.) A/C

• Like 1