• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What did you do to your 2002 today !

1 hour ago, jimk said:

I'm reminded of the time one evening in Hamburg, Germany when I shut the door and my blood almost drained to my shoe level.  The keys were in the ignition.  So grateful that the door can't be locked without the key. 

So I prefer to maintain the locks because I can't correct my memory as to where the keys are.

Yeah, I get that. I rekeyed the locks, replated and lubed the lock mechanism, and generally completely restored the OEM system. I wanted it to be functional and I can still use the key if desired. In fact, using the key will lock both doors without arming the alarm, so it’s a nice conditional option to have. 

Since the keyless fob is on the keychain, it would be impossible for me to lock my keys in the car, same as you found in Germany.  I’m really happy with the system, but totally not for everyone. 

Today I shaved the throttle bracket that was hitting the intake tube and sent it. 
reassembled everything and tried starting it. Didn’t start. 

I know the basics: air. Fuel. Spark. 
I drove  the car in here under its own power, and all I did was remove and replace the head. 
So plugs and electronics on that end should be good. Air is all buttoned up.

The only thing to possibly look at is timing, and distributor position.  I marked the distributor and am fairly certain it went in right. But, just in case, how does one set the distributor, the timing I guess, on a motor that isn’t running? 
Anything else I should be checking?

When I cranked it I did so for 10-15 seconds each time, x3 in order to get the fuel to the motor, from having drained it. 

2003 e39 M5 (daily)

1986 e30 325es (sons car)

1972 2002tii (fun daily alternative)

44 minutes ago, Pablo M said:

Anything else I should be checking?

Injector lines may need air purged from them.  Air being compressible, the injector pump just pushes against a sponge of air and the injector doesn't spring open to let the air out.

• Thanks 1

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.

13 hours ago, cdbeemin said:

Well, I went and done did it… bought me a stablemate for the ‘74 off of BAT! ‘72 project car, with good solid bones, even if there are many areas of refurbishment to come. This will be my first big retirement project. Pics to follow after I pick it up on Saturday. I’m sooooooo excited! A new roundie!

That was a good purchase, in my opinion. Have fun. -KB

1 minute ago, jimk said:

Injector lines may need air purged from them.

This ^

You will need to crack the injector line just above the injector while cranking (two person job). Have the wrench on that nut and when you see fuel coming out, tighten the nut down. Repeat for all four lines.

You may find you have to do this a couple times. At least I did when I buttoned up my Tii engine, recently.  You can see the air in one of the lines in this video. This was after we got it started and the process is easier. 

You’ll need to remove the airbox, for sure. In your video it sounds like the starter is laboring… might double check the position of your distributor, it may be too advanced?

Ed Z

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

'69 Granada... long, long ago  

'71 Manila..such a great car

'67 Granada 2000CS...way cool

22 minutes ago, zinz said:

You’ll need to remove the airbox, for sure. In your video it sounds like the starter is laboring… might double check the position of your distributor, it may be too advanced?

Ed Z

Thanks for this!

This was the third attempt and I did move the distributor a bit for this one. I'll move it back and purge the lines and see what happens.

Appreciate this.

• Like 1

2003 e39 M5 (daily)

36 minutes ago, zinz said:

This ^

You will need to crack the injector line just above the injector while cranking (two person job). Have the wrench on that nut and when you see fuel coming out, tighten the nut down. Repeat for all four lines.

You may find you have to do this a couple times. At least I did when I buttoned up my Tii engine, recently.  You can see the air in one of the lines in this video. This was after we got it started and the process is easier. 

IMG_0871.MOV 7.53 MB · 2 downloads  

Ed Z

Without doing this, wouldn't it still try to fire at least?  The cold start valve doesn't have the same air purge requirement as the injectors.  A functioning cold start valve should at least get it firing.  @Pablo M, have you tried some starter fluid or a little squirt of gas in the intake?

Karl B.

1974 2002tii Malaga ("Conrad") -->> Conrad's Restoration Blog

2003 330i ZHP 6-spd

2011 328i xDrive

Today was valve adjust day. It's been 8609 miles since the last time.  All valves were w/in 0.006 - 0.008 as found, I set any that were not at 0.007 back to that value. Car continues to run like Swiss watch.  I like to place the car in 4th gear, raise a rear wheel and hand turn the raised wheel to rotate the engine.

18 hours ago, 72pdx02 said:

In honor of my Dad who passed away from cancer 2 years ago I pinstriped my air cleaner. My dad is the reason I am a car nut today. He was a really good pinstripriper and I wish I coud learn from him today. I’ll never be as good as him. Here he is auto-crossing his 1969 corvette  circa 1972. He also had a 64 I remember being really loud with side pipes. I miss you dad.  Me with my 1961 VW bug 1986  I’ve been hooked on German cars since then.  I had that bug so low it couldn’t clear a soda can. 

IMG_7787.jpeg

IMG_0884.jpeg

IMG_7793.jpeg

IMG_0888.jpeg

IMG_8111.png

IMG_0889.jpeg

IMG_0890.jpeg

Thanks for sharing those vintage photos. Your dad sounded like a really cool guy, almost like an every day Steve McQueen. That closeup photo in the car has that feel.

You are lucky to have had someone like that in your life and I am sure he is smiling down on you... RIP. 😑

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Life is short, enjoy the ride!
L'Ultimo Ciclista, 200Km race, Nove Colli 2012

1976 Mint Grun

Philip

On 11/2/2023 at 7:27 PM, cdbeemin said:

Well, I went and done did it… bought me a stablemate for the ‘74 off of BAT! ‘72 project car, with good solid bones, even if there are many areas of refurbishment to come. This will be my first big retirement project. Pics to follow after I pick it up on Saturday. I’m sooooooo excited! A new roundie!

As Ken said, great buy.  Glad to see it go to a fellow FAQ'r.  Not going to lie, was trying to find an excuse to get it myself.

On 11/3/2023 at 8:46 AM, zinz said:

This ^

Ed Z

Thanks again Ed. I havent had a chance to try this yet but have been reading and can't find any instructions on having to do this, either in the BMW Factory Service Manual or Mike McCartneys book. I'll still give it a shot.

On 11/3/2023 at 9:25 AM, bergie33 said:

Without doing this, wouldn't it still try to fire at least?  The cold start valve doesn't have the same air purge requirement as the injectors.  A functioning cold start valve should at least get it firing.  @Pablo M, have you tried some starter fluid or a little squirt of gas in the intake?

You know what? I only just realized I did not engage the cold start valve when trying to start it. My car had been set up with a button under the steering column that I need to press when starting the car. Totally forgot to do that when starting it. I'll start with that first lol.  Thanks.

• Like 3

2003 e39 M5 (daily)