• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What did you do to your 2002 today !

4 minutes ago, 0257 said:

Stevenola and I did some fuel system tuning yesterday, and to test our handiwork went tearing around Longboat Key and Ana Maria Island this morning before returning to Sarasota through Bradenton on US 310.  Always scenic (notwithstanding piles of tree trash on the roadsides), the post-Ian weather still very pleasant.  We got very lucky with Ian.  A friend’s M6 in south Sarasota got crushed by a tree but both our cars, and all our family, weathered the storm without incident.3F8A82C0-D524-40D3-B7F4-4A648CAA61A9.thumb.jpeg.897adc3a8185d19fbfe253016e76a6c9.jpeg

More about my ongoing KF-tuning adventures in my “last mile or rabbit hole” post.

Stevasota.

:D

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

2022 Lake Garnett Grand Prix Revival, a two-day "track weekend" in Garnett, Kansas. This is run on an historic road racing track that hosted a variety of SCCA stars from the late '50s through 1973.

The revival event celebrates the legacy of those years and gives autocrossers, time trial drivers, and track-a-holics, a shot at this cool "ghost track" around a lake in a city park in small-town Kansas.

Now, this is decidedly not a race. It's an historic exhibition, mixed with track-day style activity. But during my final session today, friends said I built up a 22-second lead over the pack. I wound up having to ease up considerably and then pit early due to the fact I was running out of fuel! lol Anyway ... LGGPR! (Photo by James Briery.)

May be an image of car, outdoors and text that says '176 HCS M:YX237 YX 237'

• Like 7

On 10/8/2022 at 6:57 PM, dlmrun2002 said:

Saw your Green touring at Saratoga today  Barney.. Very nice. Didn't know you made the trek. Now I know about that Arlberg sticker.

****oops**** you're inka----don"t know who owns the 02 touring

dlm ny country

Barney_02Tour_Arlberg01.png

The Taiga Touring is owned by Scott Barnes.

• Thanks 1

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

Zouave’s no. 1 cylinder spark plug hole has been sticky since I bought him. All the others you can spin a plug by hand through 12 rotations to a hard stop.  No. 1 you could spin by hand only a half dozen turns.  It was always a little anxiety-inducing to tighten that plug — alternately felt like it was cross-threaded and like I was planting the plug too deep in the cylinder, as if there were no positive stop.  Using my cheap Chinacam I observed this black gunk around the plug:17D9F5E7-0E43-4B1C-9A7A-6B05A4F66B66.thumb.jpeg.96e2149330470f9fbda8d3eec455d0b5.jpeg02ABC613-8B90-4595-83E6-9F523002C134.thumb.jpeg.40636c62d408da532b97f9cc5e89357f.jpeg

No idea what this was.  Doesn’t look like motor oil, and there’s no other motor oil residue where you’d expect to find it.  So I blew out the channel with compressed air as a precaution, then squirted brake cleaner into the space and let it soak a couple of times.  Then I pulled the plug, soaked a rag in brake cleaner, put the rag around a 3/8” socket extension and swabbed the surface.  Did the same thing with a bottle brush inside the rag.  Repeated these steps several times, getting gunk each time.  Surface came clean, but the plug was still difficult to turn by hand, so took a dental pick to the the threads:

5786C11E-6704-4D0E-B528-F86B80E4B144.thumb.jpeg.6bdb39164aa4efd43be38396521b5b2a.jpeg

Alternated light tooth cleaning with spraying brake cleaner on the plug threads and, while still wet, threading the plug in just past the pinch point, then working it out and in a half turn or so.  Remove plug, spray and wipe off gunk, repeat.  After a couple of hours I could hand-tighten the plug the full 12 turns.  Very satisfying.

In other news, more fuel injection questions arose today…..

• Like 8

‘74 Fjord 2002tii (Zouave)

’80 Alpenweiss 528i (Evelyn)

’05 R53 Chili Red Mini S

‘56 Savage Model 99 in .250-3000

On 10/10/2022 at 11:09 AM, d.hitchcock said:

2022 Lake Garnett Grand Prix Revival, a two-day "track weekend" in Garnett, Kansas. This is run on an historic road racing track that hosted a variety of SCCA stars from the late '50s through 1973.

The revival event celebrates the legacy of those years and gives autocrossers, time trial drivers, and track-a-holics, a shot at this cool "ghost track" around a lake in a city park in small-town Kansas.

Now, this is decidedly not a race. It's an historic exhibition, mixed with track-day style activity. But during my final session today, friends said I built up a 22-second lead over the pack. I wound up having to ease up considerably and then pit early due to the fact I was running out of fuel! lol Anyway ... LGGPR! (Photo by James Briery.)

May be an image of car, outdoors and text that says '176 HCS M:YX237 YX 237'

Sounds like total fun!

If you have to do this again, I would suggest a spark plug thread chaser, cover it in grease when you do it so all the junk stays in the grease and doesn't fall down inside the cylinder.     Carbon build up on the threads causes the plug get's tight and then most people don't  thread the plug in tight enough because it is hard to turn and then , more carbon build up.

Thanks, Rick

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, stephers said:

If you have to do this again, I would suggest a spark plug thread chaser, cover it in grease when you do it so all the junk stays in the grease and doesn't fall down inside the cylinder.     Carbon build up on the threads causes the plug get's tight and then most people don't  thread the plug in tight enough because it is hard to turn and then , more carbon build up.

Thanks, Rick

Rick, I should have done just that, but on the one hand was too worried about further cutting of the threads (and dropping shavings into the cylinder) and on the other hand well, once you get started…  Let’s put it this way: I’m glad I didn’t pay a mechanic to do it the way I did it!

‘74 Fjord 2002tii (Zouave)

’80 Alpenweiss 528i (Evelyn)

’05 R53 Chili Red Mini S

‘56 Savage Model 99 in .250-3000

Drove this just-about* completed race car restoration up and down the street. Loading-up today to transport it to the Velocity Invitational event for the 50-year anniversary of the American Trans-Am series (this car raced in the series). -KB

IMG_8937.thumb.jpeg.a5cd473b83ab0aa936f467eedf6a0ec0.jpeg

*rear and side windows and a few decals get installed this morning...

• Like 18

Started cooling system renewal with coolant flush, Will also open that plug on the side of the block which is now easy with the exhaust manifold out of the way… curious if that’s ever been done before so we’ll see what comes out. Should that be replaced with some sort of sealant?

11 minutes ago, kbmb02 said:

Drove this just-about* completed race car restoration up and down the street. Loading-up today to transport it to the Velocity Invitational event for the 50-year anniversary of the American Trans-Am series (this car raced in the series). -KB

IMG_8937.thumb.jpeg.a5cd473b83ab0aa936f467eedf6a0ec0.jpeg

*rear and side windows and a few decals get installed this morning...

Masterpiece!  Well done Ken!

• Like 1

Engine bay OCD is a real problem

@02carbs 

9 minutes ago, its55 said:

curious if that’s ever been done before so we’ll see what comes out.

You might find the drain hole is plugged with crystallized coolant. Simply go at it with a stubby screwdriver to clear it. 

Ed Z

• Like 1

'69 Granada... long, long ago  

'71 Manila..such a great car

'67 Granada 2000CS...way cool

21 minutes ago, kbmb02 said:

Drove this just-about* completed race car restoration up and down the street.

What a beautiful car, Ken. 

'69 Granada... long, long ago  

'71 Manila..such a great car

'67 Granada 2000CS...way cool