• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What did you do to your 2002 today !

On 7/3/2023 at 7:31 AM, Conserv said:

I’ve not yet seen a totaled ‘02 — including my own — with a seat ripped from the original floor mounts.

I'm glad to hear this. As I'm about to put Recaros into mine, I've been thinking a lot about this. I did buy all 10.9 and 12.9 hardware.

1976 2002 - Segundo

1936 Ford pickup hotrod, 2010 Honda Ridgeline

Segundo blog

Paoli (PA) Car Show - Oct 5, 2024

On 7/7/2023 at 2:09 PM, JQ02 said:

I'm glad to hear this. As I'm about to put Recaros into mine, I've been thinking a lot about this. I did buy all 10.9 and 12.9 hardware.

I did the same. I originally picked up some grade 8 (or whatever the metric equivalent is) hardware locally but then thought better of it and placed an order to Bel-metric. Love that site. 

We finally managed to get the outer rockerpanel welded onto the car after not being able to work on the car for a few weekends..

We first spot welded some of the metal clamps I made with the 3D printed die to hold the wiring against the inner rocker panel.

Then we fitted the rocker panel and rear quarter panel one last time to check for fitment and finally it was time to weld it on with the spotwelder! I can't imagine having to drill so many holes and having the plug weld them.

This is way faster and cleaner. Although welding this many spotwelds does cause the machine to get quite hot.

spacer.png

Close up of the spotwelds, looking good

spacer.png

For now we only spotwelded a couple places on the underside since the machine did get a little hot. The rest will be for the next time

spacer.png

Front section of the rocker plug welded since there is no way to reach the inside with the spot welder.

I stil need to weld the horizontal edge to the A pillar

spacer.png

spacer.png

Rear section of the rocker. We did have to shorten one of the electrodes a little otherwise it would touch the quarter panel.

spacer.png

Top flange fully welded

spacer.png

spacer.png

My brother had to leave a little early so I started on welding in the small corner patch panel for the quarter panel.

It took some time previously to get the shape right, in the end we made 4 of these panels and the last one was the only one usable. We started from a flat sheet of metal and shrunk one side, to then tip it over with some rod with a groove cut into it. After some more shaping we managed to get the correct shape.

I still needed to adjust the flange of the replacement quarter panel a little as well but happy with the result in the end.

spacer.png

spacer.png

And ground smooth. we do have quite a bit of gap between the two panels but I had to make a little cut in at the little triangle since the radiuses didn't line up. Which cause the gap to be even bigger..

spacer.png

Next time we should be able to weld in the quarter panel, being careful to not warp it while welding...

• Like 14

Painted my steel coupe wheels - borranis kept with the Winter tyres and for the summer I had some very clean and straight 14x5.5s from my coupe. They were already black and that's how they went on before finding the time to paint them and add the hub caps yesterday. Happy with the result, but will also look forward to putting the borranis back on in the winter.

IMG_3885.thumb.jpg.eaa27f33e179ea1cd12ad2149f12ff93.jpg

IMG_5522.thumb.jpg.a018eaba0cd7916db9958ec92139f2e5.jpg

004A8384.thumb.jpg.d08d513db5df7638395cfe378f9b9aa7.jpg

IMG_6322.thumb.jpg.cf64d6477ff756f64fa96771613fe3e0.jpg

IMG_6325.thumb.jpg.c23bc2906343fb2595185922c73e17c7.jpg

• Like 6

avaTour2.jpg.52fb4debc1ca18590681ac95bc6f527f.jpg

6 hours ago, D.martijn said:

We finally managed to get the outer rockerpanel welded onto the car after not being able to work on the car for a few weekends..

We first spot welded some of the metal clamps I made with the 3D printed die to hold the wiring against the inner rocker panel.

Then we fitted the rocker panel and rear quarter panel one last time to check for fitment and finally it was time to weld it on with the spotwelder! I can't imagine having to drill so many holes and having the plug weld them.

This is way faster and cleaner. Although welding this many spotwelds does cause the machine to get quite hot.

spacer.png

spacer.png

For now we only spotwelded a couple places on the underside since the machine did get a little hot. The rest will be for the next time

spacer.png

Front section of the rocker plug welded since there is no way to reach the inside with the spot welder.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Rear section of the rocker. We did have to shorten one of the electrodes a little otherwise it would touch the quarter panel.

spacer.png

Top flange fully welded

spacer.png

spacer.png

My brother had to leave a little early so I started on welding in the small corner patch panel for the quarter panel.

It took some time previously to get the shape right, in the end we made 4 of these panels and the last one was the only one usable. We started from a flat sheet of metal and shrunk one side, to then tip it over with some rod with a groove cut into it. After some more shaping we managed to get the correct shape.

I still needed to adjust the flange of the replacement quarter panel a little as well but happy with the result in the end.

spacer.png

spacer.png

And ground smooth. we do have quite a bit of gap between the two panels but I had to make a little cut in at the little triangle since the radiuses didn't line up. Which cause the gap to be even bigger..

spacer.png

Next time we should be able to weld in the quarter panel, being careful to not warp it while welding...

Looks like a Beautiful Mind at work. Nice job.

• Like 1

With the great assistance of Rob H002 my steering column universal joint is replaced.  Took about 4 hours of pain thanks in large part to the most stubborn and inaccessible nut that we had to eventually cut out.  Also got my backup lights working (still need to improve some wiring insulation underneath).  Earlier in the week did some basic alignment check and adjusted the toe of the RF that was out quite a bit.

71044114446__42A19EDD-1632-4980-AED7-928CA6F3E373.JPEG

IMG_3037.JPEG

IMG_3041.JPEG

IMG_3042.jpeg

71036411355__513A1E87-A427-4B5B-8348-159F1F989064.JPEG

• Like 3

12 hours ago, D.martijn said:

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Top flange fully welded

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

As someone who has done that…it IS a lot of drilling and plug welding!

What spot welder did you use? I’m always looking for an easier way. 

9 hours ago, Highnote1 said:

As someone who has done that…it IS a lot of drilling and plug welding!

What spot welder did you use? I’m always looking for an easier way. 

I have had this spotwelder for a couple of years now.

Here's the brand and model info. (Price almost doubled from when I got it!!)

I also have 500mm long straight electrodes, these are great when you need to reach places that aren't very accessible, I remember using these to replace a big section of the top plates on the front frame rails

as well as the Art.7407 ones in the picture below.

With these it's possible to reach around the A pillar as well as spotwelding the front floor to the frame rail

There's plenty of other electodes, there are probably cheaper options out there but these don't have as many electrodes available..

spacer.png

https://www.tecna.net/en/products/division/industrial/type/portable-spot-welders/product/hand-operated-spot-gun-item-7900-7902-7903-2-kva-2/

• Like 2

While cleaning up some wiring from the PO, removing the remnants of the emissions circuits and running a new wire to the coil I discovered what I hope is the last hidden mouse nest on this car.  

The rockers seemed to be entirely full of nest material and this area below the fuse box was too.  Amazingly they didn’t chew on any wires and the surrounding sheet metal was intact without rust. Felt good to vacuum that crud out.  Onward. 

IMG_7629.jpeg

• Like 3

Painted the valve cover. Don’t believe those YouTube videos that claim you can spread chapstick on the raised portions and then paint the top coat and it’ll wipe right off. I’m going to strip it again and take it to a pin striper. 

IMG_6696.jpeg

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, bob02 said:

Mike, I just refinished my m20 valve cover and painted over the ribs and roundel, then wet block sanded them afterward. I used VHT wrinkle paint.

Bob

AC50658D-DD2B-48B6-9778-7DFB76E636C1.jpeg

That’s the look I’m going for but I’d like the raised area to be gold instead of polished. I think the chapstick technique would work if I used Vaseline or even grease instead, might try again depending on what the painter quotes me. 

• Like 1