• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What did you do to your 2002 today !

16 hours ago, Lucky 7 said:

This day was not without some final frustrations with my painter, but at least it’s over with. And despite never meeting deadlines, writing things down, or remembering what we JUST FUCKING TALKED ABOUT YESTERDAY, the work is beautiful. 

Yup. this is the standard operating procedure for painters, they tell time with a calender that as near as I can tell is 4 years out of date.

Edited by Son of Marty
  • Haha 1

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944

Try parking that by the Federal building, and then you can tell us how the rest of your day went, in say 10 to 20 years😈🤣.

image.jpeg.4979a5b653fd7678add1061d4f354e27.jpeg

Edited by Son of Marty
  • Like 2
  • Haha 4

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944

7 hours ago, Son of Marty said:

Yup. this is the standard operating procedure for painters, they tell time with a calender that as near as I can tell is 4 years out of date.

Repeated exposure to paint fumes tends to effect the memory and other brain functions.

• Thanks 1

image.jpeg.4979a5b653fd7678add1061d4f354e27.jpeg

That photo might look sketchier than it was.  One ratchet strap bundled the cylinders TIGHTLY together and the other held them up against the wheel well.  There is an elephant-gray foam mat underneath them that's hard to see in the photo.  It adds some padding and friction to the equation. 

image.thumb.jpeg.3e7843d22a1e395ced4b8600622358dc.jpeg

On 7/27/2023 at 11:24 AM, Son of Marty said:

Try parking that by the Federal building, and then you can tell us how the rest of your day went, in say 10 to 20 years

I just looked it up, No acetylene cylinders allowed on the Wa. St. ferries.  O2 is Ok, but must be capped.  I don't think they'd like my little gas can either. 

Having the cylinders in the trunk feels a bit safer than putting them inside my old Subaru wagon.  At least I have big bumpers! :)  

Tom

EDIT-- I would like to add some tie-downs inside the trunk.  

Edited by '76mintgrün'02
simpleficashun
  • Like 2

FINALLY was able to get it out of the garage and do a shakedown cruise after replacing floors, rockers, subframe mounts, etc etc.  

Took her out for about 20 miles.  Ran great, no weird shakes, tracked straight and nothing fell off!  Next step is some paint on the doglegs/rockers and finishing up the interior.   

I really needed this for a motivation boost.  Big smile the entire time and had lots of compliments even in this dirty and half-assembled state. 

IMG_7860.jpeg

• Like 9

30 minutes ago, HobieDog said:

FINALLY was able to get it out of the garage and do a shakedown cruise after replacing floors, rockers, subframe mounts, etc etc.  

Took her out for about 20 miles.  Ran great, no weird shakes, tracked straight and nothing fell off!  Next step is some paint on the doglegs/rockers and finishing up the interior.   

I really needed this for a motivation boost.  Big smile the entire time and had lots of compliments even in this dirty and half-assembled state. 

IMG_7860.jpeg

Nice looking. Most of my cars are dark gray, but didn't want to go that way with the 02. Now you've got me thinking...  ha

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Shiparino said:

Nice looking. Most of my cars are dark gray, but didn't want to go that way with the 02. Now you've got me thinking...  ha

Thanks!  That’s anthracite grey. It’s a great color on these cars and one that you don’t see too often.  

Finally getting to the electric fan install, and addressing a crusty engine bay with some paint.

Probably should paint these pullies while I have the space. 

Made a bracket to hold the fan with the stainless steel front of a dishwasher I replaced earlier.

Contemplating installing an aluminum civic radiator I've had sitting round but this one doesnt leak so I'll probably button it up.

20230728_082034.jpg

20230727_113904.jpg

• Like 5

Today I installed a set of KUMHO Solus 185/70/13s and it drives like a new car again.  I waited way too long; but it's true what they say, "a pleasure delayed is a pleasure intensified."

The guy at the tire store told me they're going to stop making 13 inch tires in 2024, except for trailer tires.  I told him I hoped they'd change their mind. 

I noticed the receipt said the tires were filled to 35 psi, so I checked them, intending to bleed them down to thirty.  One was at thirty already, with another at 34 and the other two at 38.  I don't know what they did to scratch up the insides of my wheels, but I'm glad it wasn't on the outside.  The scratches were deep/sharp enough to cut you, so I hammered them down. 

image.thumb.jpeg.1d8fc34c0f72d6f6e9d42e0359fce044.jpeg image.thumb.jpeg.d9642ec36931e9cb997d6380df7ff6a0.jpeg

I hate having other people work on my car.  It was probably good that I'd removed the tires and left the car home where it'd be safe.

image.thumb.jpeg.8a013d1ecef37d8f74b039e9b9b4ba9f.jpeg

Tom

• Like 5

2 hours ago, '76mintgrün'02 said:

Today I installed a set of KUMHO Solus 185/70/13s and it drives like a new car again.  I waited way too long; but it's true what they say, "a pleasure delayed is a pleasure intensified."

The guy at the tire store told me they're going to stop making 13 inch tires in 2024, except for trailer tires.  I told him I hoped they'd change their mind. 

I noticed the receipt said the tires were filled to 35 psi, so I checked them, intending to bleed them down to thirty.  One was at thirty already, with another at 34 and the other two at 38.  I don't know what they did to scratch up the insides of my wheels, but I'm glad it wasn't on the outside.  The scratches were deep/sharp enough to cut you, so I hammered them down. 

image.thumb.jpeg.1d8fc34c0f72d6f6e9d42e0359fce044.jpeg image.thumb.jpeg.d9642ec36931e9cb997d6380df7ff6a0.jpeg

I hate having other people work on my car.  It was probably good that I'd removed the tires and left the car home where it'd be safe.

image.thumb.jpeg.8a013d1ecef37d8f74b039e9b9b4ba9f.jpeg

Tom

I wouldn't be surprised if they stop making 13" tires. I don't think any cars made in the past 2 decades came with 13" tires.

I always check and adjust the tire pressure after getting tires installed. Most of the time the tire shop just fill them till the beads seat and call it good.

The scratches on the inside of the wheel are from mounting it on an old school tire mounting machine.

• Like 1

You'll be able to get 13" tyres for a while yet, you'll just have to pay more for some enterprising European or Chinese or Indian company that's willing to send them to the states. 185x70/13 in France currently brings up 72 different options (90 with trailer/van only options included). There are plenty of markets left in the world that have lots of new cars on 13" wheels, but the USA just isn't one of them

WWW.CENTRALEPNEUS.FR

Pneus 185 70 R13 tourisme pas chers sur CentralePneus · Livraison gratuite · Commande simple et rapide · Un grand choix de marques · Prix bas garantis sur les pneus.

• Like 3

avaTour2.jpg.52fb4debc1ca18590681ac95bc6f527f.jpg

9 hours ago, '76mintgrün'02 said:

I took my '01 740iL to get rubbers swapped. As I pulled in a ruckus was in full blow when a Denali suburban fell off the rack from full height. Turned around, went home and removed the tire/wheels. The fewer hands on my rides the better....

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

Hacker of many things... master of none.

Gunther March 19, 1974. Hoffman Motors march 22 1974 NYC

1 hour ago, OldRoller said:

I took my '01 740iL to get rubbers swapped. As I pulled in a ruckus was in full blow when a Denali suburban fell off the rack from full height. Turned around, went home and removed the tire/wheels. The fewer hands on my rides the better....

Damn. That mechanic should be let go quickly. 

4 hours ago, NickVyse said:

You'll be able to get 13" tyres for a while yet, you'll just have to pay more for some enterprising European or Chinese or Indian company that's willing to send them to the states. 185x70/13 in France currently brings up 72 different options (90 with trailer/van only options included). There are plenty of markets left in the world that have lots of new cars on 13" wheels, but the USA just isn't one of them

WWW.CENTRALEPNEUS.FR

Pneus 185 70 R13 tourisme pas chers sur CentralePneus · Livraison gratuite · Commande simple et rapide · Un grand choix de marques · Prix bas garantis sur les pneus.

another source is www.cokertire.com