• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What did you do to your 2002 today !

8 hours ago, bergie33 said:

Refurbished side markers... Thought I would give it a try since mine were pretty trashed. Testors Custom Red is transparent. 

20220808_175802.jpg

20220808_175804.jpg

20220808_183528.jpg

20220808_183533.jpg

20220808_175811.jpg

20220808_175820.jpg

Looks great! I’ve used the VHT red in the past, but it always left a tackiness to the lens (even after a month of cure time), so I squirted a little bit of Plexus spray wax on. Helped achieve the super glossy finish I was after and got rid of the tackiness.

@bergie33, does the Testors paint leave a tacky/sticky finish? 

?
Rich

6 minutes ago, RichenFamous said:

Looks great! I’ve used the VHT red in the past, but it always left a tackiness to the lens (even after a month of cure time), so I squirted a little bit of Plexus spray wax on. Helped achieve the super glossy finish I was after and got rid of the tackiness.

@bergie33, does the Testors paint leave a tacky/sticky finish? 

?
Rich

Nope, leaves it nice and smooth and hard to the touch. 

• Like 3

Karl B.

1974 2002tii Malaga ("Conrad") -->> Conrad's Restoration Blog

2003 330i ZHP 6-spd

2011 328i xDrive

Got my subframes back from the powder coaters last week. Just got new bearings for them so they go in this weekend. For now, I'm grinding down the little bit of fresh powdered metal to make room for the rear brake adaptors from IE. 
Wish I'd done that BEFORE coating! Oh well. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, tomphot said:

Mine was done by them in 1987.  

533E66FE-92B7-4EFB-BD71-18BA464B6E20.jpeg

And according to a discussion I had wRedzus Sr earlier this year, it might take the same number of years to get one back if you send it in today.  He indicated that they don’t do these as a regular line of business anymore, so they tend to sit.  That said, nobody better to refurb one.  David Layton, how long was yours in the shop?

Edited by 0257
  • Like 1

‘74 Fjord 2002tii (Zouave)

’80 Alpenweiss 528i (Evelyn)

’05 R53 Chili Red Mini S

‘56 Savage Model 99 in .250-3000

Got my new to me set of BBS E68 wheels and took them apart so I can rebuild them. 

if anyone has suggestions on the best way to remove the old paint on the magnesium faces let me know. I read online not to chemical strip them and that not to soda blast them with sand and walnut blasting being options but sand can cause pitting. Problem is there are no walnut blasting places here in Idaho so if anyone know of one in a neighboring state or and alternate let me know. 

6D89A249-8953-46A2-B7E9-04F4EDBA76A3.thumb.jpeg.78b2b26d6cf9ca3a297af0537362b3a8.jpeg

B373583E-D859-46FA-AF3D-4912FF889EA6.thumb.jpeg.7cfe0a70a273878956a2982ec146a173.jpeg

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, M3This said:

Got my new to me set of BBS E68 wheels and took them apart so I can rebuild them. 

if anyone has suggestions on the best way to remove the old paint on the magnesium faces let me know. I read online not to chemical strip them and that not to soda blast them with sand and walnut blasting being options but sand can cause pitting. Problem is there are no walnut blasting places here in Idaho so if anyone know of one in a neighboring state or and alternate let me know.

I have used aircraft stripper for removing paint from wheels before with great success.  You might find some media blasting places here in Utah. 

Karl B.

1974 2002tii Malaga ("Conrad") -->> Conrad's Restoration Blog

2003 330i ZHP 6-spd

2011 328i xDrive

14 minutes ago, bergie33 said:

I have used aircraft stripper for removing paint from wheels before with great success.  You might find some media blasting places here in Utah. 

yeah the stuff I saw online said to not use any chemical strippers with magnesium as it can cause issues. I’ll have to get on Google and see if there is anything in OR or UT

36 minutes ago, M3This said:

yeah the stuff I saw online said to not use any chemical strippers with magnesium as it can cause issues. I’ll have to get on Google and see if there is anything in OR or UT

Most chemical strippers will dissolve portions of magnesium alloy, if the rims are magnesium alloy. I know nothing about E68 rims. Are you certain they are magnesium alloy?

Soda blasting is another option, provided you’re using soda as the media (if you’re blasting with sand as the media, you are “sand-blasting,” which might be overly abrasive, unless someone takes great care). I wonder if vapor honing is gentle enough — it’s sort of “media blasting with water”.

Regards,

Steve

• Like 1

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)