• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What did you do to your 2002 today !

2 hours ago, Simeon said:

What’s the rest of your plans for the dash?

Considering my options here since find a crack free RHD dash in Australia is as likely as finding rocking horse poop. 

Simeon there is a place in Brisbane that reskins them, which given our summers and their ability to do it to cope with our UV would probably be the go, but they are quite expensive, I think I just searched for them years ago, buggered if I remember who but they do door cards as well, just a thought, hope that helps ( if only a little)

god knows how but my dash is mint, but my car is nearly always covered and someone spent s good bit of money on it years ago so I guess it got done then.

8 hours ago, Mario Falfan said:

On the blue one those bumper holes need to be filled, before water creates damage to the trunk !

After im done with my 71, getting the motor built, carpet kit installed... then i will get the blue repainted and holes filled in. 

My first experiment with EvapoRust. This fuel pickup was pretty corroded. The photos are after an overnight immersion. It came out with a better than expected result. There remains deep corrosion under the top tubing sweeps that wasn't removed... that will have to get the blast cabinet treatment.

IMG_0664.jpg

IMG_0665.jpg

• Like 3

73 Tii stock build, Porsche Macan   , E46 330i Florida driver, 

….and like most of us, way too many (maybe 30 at last count) I wish I hadn't sold ?

Installed the anti-drainback check valve I had been hesitating to install to fix my "doesn't want to start after sitting for a few days issue". I thought all was good, then I noticed that fuel was leaking from the fuel pump gasket after shutting the car off. I assume the check valve had trapped pressure in the line and that heat from the warm engine was expanding whatever air might have been in the line and therefore pressurizing it enough to leak. I tried cinching down the screws on the fuel pump, but it was still leaking. Unable to find a rebuild kit for the pump, and reading about all the horror stories about NLA pumps and different length pushrods, I opted to try and future-proof the car and ordered an electric fuel pump.....

It looked good for the 10 minutes it was in the car.

check valve.jpg

1 hour ago, man_mark_7 said:

Unable to find a rebuild kit for the pump,

Try the air cooled VW parts sites. They use the same Pierburg pumps and sell rebuild kits. 

The electric pump you’ve ordered should work out, too..

Ed

Ken B and I discussed this exact problem last week. Ken... you were right. 

'69 Granada... long, long ago  

'71 Manila..such a great car

'67 Granada 2000CS...way cool

Nice, I went to buy one Saturday morning and they were sold out.

I bought one online over the weekend. Got it on Tuesday. Maybe they have a restock, because the older style version is still on there site.

Regards
Jason

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

- Project 67' 1600-2

- Pig Cheek 71' 1602

11 hours ago, zinz said:

Try the air cooled VW parts sites. They use the same Pierburg pumps and sell rebuild kits. 

Thanks Zinz. I took a look and there are a few choices. I think I'll wait until I get the old one out and apart to make sure I get the right one. I always wondered why it looked like there were some stacked gaskets / under the pump. Found this on a VW site. Totally makes sense. I think I'll rebuild the old one to keep in the trunk as a backup for those long road trips. I wonder how long it would take for the diaphragm to dry out sitting in the trunk....

fuel pumps are self regulated for pressure, but you have to know how to do it! This is accomplished by putting the pump further away from the push rod, lessening the pump stroke. You do this by stacking pump gaskets between the pump and spacer.

We have seen the stock pump output pressure exceed 12psi, often due to aftermarket pump spacers being too short. Either stack a ton of gaskets, or use a properly built spacer.

I experimented with adding spacers under my pump.

It did not yield beneficial results... for me.

I've also seen VW sites where they shorten the push rod.

Is the pump that leaked the stubby style that sits down against the coolant hose?

I unfortunately bought one of those.  At one point it leaked too, but tightening the screws fixed it.

I replaced it with the tall style.  (The one I took off for the stubby downgrade). 

Found a driver side door that looks to be in great shape. Means I might not be needing these at some point. Will keep working them as the project has me going again. Down to bare metal. The goo is how it looks when the Ospho dries on the metal. After each days work I just use a spray bottle to apply it but I do have an e36 hood that has been in bare metal all summer that I just wiped down with an Ospho dampened pare towel and got very little build up so might be switching over to that method.973806062_IMG_17261.thumb.JPG.9c7121dbadde27c7e5fe371fe67c5f69.JPG

Slowly building a $20,000 $4000 car

If it "ran when parked" you wouldn't have parked it!