• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What did you do to your 2002 today !

Got some free LED bulbs for the garage that fit right into the old fluorescent housings. Unlike the older LED's that fit into  fluorescent housings, these new Led's need no ballast removal. Nice and bright. Now I can see all the crap that is in the way. There is an o2 in there somewhere.   :)

dl ny country

Led_Garage_02.jpg

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, visionaut said:

Finally back home...  What a fun road trip - Le Mars was a blast!

:P

Brilliant and inspired...Bowie's Star Man & Life on Mars keep playing in my head. Surprisingly few red cars over there.

Andrew Wilson
Vern- 1973 2002tii, https://www.bmw2002faq.com/blogs/blog/304-andrew-wilsons-vern-restoration/ 
Veronika- 1968 1600 Cabriolet, Athena- 1973 3.0 CSi,  Rodney- 1988 M5, The M3- 1997 M3,

The Unicorn- 2007 X3, Julia- 2007 Z4 Coupe, Ophelia- 2014 X3, Herman- 1914 KisselKar 4-40

Been reading on FAQ about cleaning up taillights, especially for safety reasons, so decided to give mine a look see....Oh "The horror", appeared almost purposely painted black.  Gaskets shot, lenses cracked, knurl nut cracked, lense bolt broken, both inside covers cracked.  Metal frames were in decent shape.  Looked up the costs of gaskets and lensess, wow $$$,  Mr. McGuire was right when he wanted Ben to think about one word "plastics".

With epoxy, paint, caulk, plumbers tape and some scrubbing...hope all these giant So Cal  SUVs will see me brake now.  Good enough for now, thanks for all the how to's FAQ.  

IMG_2536.JPG

IMG_2538.JPG

IMG_2540.JPG

IMG_2542.JPG

• Like 4

4 hours ago, dlmrun2002 said:

Got some free LED bulbs for the garage that fit right into the old fluorescent housings. Unlike the older LED's that fit into  fluorescent housings, these new Led's need no ballast removal. Nice and bright. Now I can see all the crap that is in the way. There is an o2 in there somewhere.   :)

dl ny country

Led_Garage_02.jpg

Doug - whats under the cover?  Seems too round to be your 02..

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

4 hours ago, adawil2002 said:

Brilliant and inspired...Bowie's Star Man & Life on Mars keep playing in my head. Surprisingly few red cars over there.

Thanks, Andrew!

The way it was explained to me, it's a result of the dust in the Martian atmosphere, which has fine particles that permit blue light to penetrate it more efficiently than longer-wavelength colors. So the red cars end up looking grey, like the front car on the left in the farewell pic.  (and the Skupper shows up red since it orbits above the dust...)

:lol:

• Haha 1

Where we goin’? … I’ll drive…
There are some who call me... Tom too         v i s i o n a u t i k s.com   

17 minutes ago, visionaut said:

Thanks, Andrew!

The way it was explained to me, it's a result of the dust in the Martian atmosphere, which has fine particles that permit blue light to penetrate it more efficiently than longer-wavelength colors. So the red cars end up looking grey, like the front car on the left in the farewell pic.  (and the Skupper shows up red since it orbits above the dust...)

:lol:

Well, that makes sense!

:D

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

4 hours ago, Steve Tochi said:

Been reading on FAQ about cleaning up taillights, especially for safety reasons, so decided to give mine a look see....Oh "The horror", appeared almost purposely painted black.  Gaskets shot, lenses cracked, knurl nut cracked, lense bolt broken, both inside covers cracked.  Metal frames were in decent shape.  Looked up the costs of gaskets and lensess, wow $$$,  Mr. McGuire was right when he wanted Ben to think about one word "plastics".

With epoxy, paint, caulk, plumbers tape and some scrubbing...hope all these giant So Cal  SUVs will see me brake now.  Good enough for now, thanks for all the how to's FAQ.  

As has been said before, superbrightleds.com.  I just bought most of a car full.  Completely worth it, especially for the back of the car.  I bought the headlights, too...

• Like 2

Dave.

'76, totally stock. Completely.

28 minutes ago, irdave said:

As has been said before, superbrightleds.com.  I just bought most of a car full.  Completely worth it, especially for the back of the car.  I bought the headlights, too...

Thanks Dave, so these LED bulbs are simply plug in replacements, require no wiring mods?  I'm a little behind with technology and fancy book learning stuff.

Steve

Sent from my Apple IIe

• Haha 1

Was struggling Friday with having had my dad pass away a month ago.  I needed to get away from everything for a bit so I loaded up my Mini Austrialian Shepard in the 02 and took a drive to a near by park for a 5 mile trail walk.  Much better afterwards!  Something about cruising the 02 and hanging with the dog in nature that does wonders for the soul.  That and getting a bunch of thumbs ups and compliments at red lights.  ?

20180209_114202_HDR~2.jpg

20180209_131817~2.jpg

Edited by Big_Lebowski
spelling
  • Like 12

"To my way of thinking, the 2002 is one of modern civilization's all-time best ways to get somewhere sitting down. - Car and Driver Magazine April,1968 

6 hours ago, Steve Tochi said:

Thanks Dave, so these LED bulbs are simply plug in replacements, require no wiring mods?  I'm a little behind with technology and fancy book learning stuff.

Steve

Sent from my Apple IIe

Yep.  You'll need to update your flasher unit under the dash, but that is very well documented on here- I'm actually doing it today...

And they make such an absolute difference- they have emitters all the way around, so it lights up everything.  And my lights used to drop my voltage from almost 14 to about 12.5.  Now it stays close to 13.5...

• Like 1

Dave.

'76, totally stock. Completely.