• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What did you do to your 2002 today !

55 minutes ago, VWJake said:

Decided to get down to the "meat and potatoes" of why I'm not driving this car.

image.jpg

That might not be road legal in your state. 

• Like 1

rtheriaque wrote:

Carbs: They're necessary and barely controlled fuel leaks that sometimes match the air passing through them.

My build blog:http://www.bmw2002faq.com/blog/163-simeons-blog/

Installed sound insulating cap for the pedal box. Been waiting for this heavy foam rubber part for over 8 months, actually forgot I ordered it . pn 35111102142

Apparently BMW (or whoever) just made a fresh batch for distribution.  I needed to trim the inside edge a bit for thickness before I could get it to seat around the pedal box,

but I got it on there. Man the car's quiet now! Ha Ha

• Like 1

Haven't even made it through a full tank of gas so far this year, so this is the weekend to take care of the problems that have kept me from driving it. First up: Swapped out the 1981-vintage Bilsteins for a fresh set of HDs. On the new ones, the pistons come back out pretty quickly after being pushed in. Are they supposed to do that? :rolleyes:

So yeah, the old ones are essentially done, but if someone wants them for a rebuild core, they're free to a good home; just pay shipping. Otherwise they're getting junked.

More projects to come...

-Dave

Colorado '71 2002

'17 VW GTI Sport
'10 Honda Odyssey Family & Stuff Hauler

Noted the camouflage pattern on the roof while stripping the polaris Tii down to metal (it's been interesting to observe the failure of the original metallic paint, and to ponder why it wasn't ordered removed when repainted under warranty or in subsequent painting). This, I believe, is the 'right' way - etching primer applied promptly.

Given how straight and solid this car is, the body/paint process should move quickly from here.

IMG_3570.JPG

IMG_3541.JPG

IMG_3560.JPG

15 hours ago, 7502 said:

I needed to trim the inside edge a bit for thickness before I could get it to seat around the pedal box,

but I got it on there. Man the car's quiet now! Ha Ha

:)

Ah the debatable pedal box cover surfaces again.  Good for you for replacing that part.  For me it completes a job to BMW spec.   Looks cool too.

I believe the skin will repel most moisture and as long as you don't allow leaking hydraulics to permeate the box and cover, it should last a very long time.  I always double check the fluid level in my reservoir.  I know someday either my (newish) brake MC or (newish) clutch MC is going to fail and leak.  I plan to catch it early.

73 Inka Tii #2762958

20 minutes ago, PaulTWinterton said:

the debatable pedal box cover

Debatable/deplorable.  What/ever.

I appreciate having access to the rectangular hole in the bottom of my puddle box.

Every couple of days I have been dutifully crawling under there to wrap a rag around my finger and swab the brake fluid out of the box.

I suppose, if I had installed the foamy cover, I could have poked a hole in it for my finger.

25 minutes ago, '76mintgrun'02 said:

Every couple of days I have been dutifully crawling under there to wrap a rag around my finger and swab the brake fluid out of the box.

I suppose, if I had installed the foamy cover, I could have poked a hole in it for my finger.

Puddle box.  I like that.  

73 Inka Tii #2762958

1 hour ago, KenH said:

Well this silly screw driver was playing hid and seek in my engine bay.  

I won :)

SillyScrewDriver.jpg

Pretty sure I have one of those hiding in my D/S frame rail still. I should probably dig it out.

Brent

1974 2002 - Megasquirt and turbo

2018 BMW M2/ 2013 Porsche Cayenne Diesel

Does the puddle box (like that too) cover really deaden that much sound?  I have been debating placing an order for months/years but actually just today cut a nice rectangular piece of dense (but pink) foam and wedged it up there. As Ed China would say "Job done!"

1975 - 2366762 Born 7/75

See the whole restoration at:

http://www.rwwbmw2002.shutterfly.com