• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My Tii Engine Project. Found An Interesting Part.

PaulTWinterton

Great project, Paul!

So...

1.  Engine block number

2.  Engine block casting date, if present, on right side of block, between and just below the #1 and #2 cylinder freeze plugs

3.  Head model and casting date (I'm guessing E12 due to the aluminum intake runners)

4.  Aluminum runner casting dates

5.  Accumulator (plenum) casting date (the accumulator has the extra nipple of a U.S. '74 model year car)

6.  Kugelfischer pump housing casting date, right side of pump, facing block

7.  Anything else with a date on it

My guess is that an engine with that screw cover still in place is likely largely untouched, either: (a.) it was pulled because it needed an overhaul, or (b.) it was pulled because the car in which it was originally installed gave its life to rust!

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

I'm kind of excited about this.  I'm an amateur but rebuilding an engine is something that I've always wanted to do.

Before and After... you know.

I can't start on it for a while so I'm just staring at it.:o  I can't wait.

Yes, Steve, I'll pass on those #'s.  From what I was told I'm pretty sure it's out of a 74 that rusted away.  It ran, but roughly.  The shop owner thought it was a KFish problem.  Hey! my car runs rough if I don't treat it right.  Could be anything.  I'm looking forward to taking the head off and seeing the state of the cylinders.  I can move the crank but I didn't go past 1or 2 degrees.  I don't want to damage anything.  Right now I put some engine oil over the valve train and into the plug holes.  Just to keep it oily.  

What should I put in the KFish?  More oil?    I don't plan to run this engine unless/until all parts are rebuilt, so I'm not sure I need Marvel Mystery Oil or anything like that.

Or do I?

73 Inka Tii #2762958

5 hours ago, conkitchen said:

Don't even think the ultimate uber tii of Cooper has that cover. 

But I could be wrong. 

Has it got the radiator hose with the bulge? :D

rtheriaque wrote:

Carbs: They're necessary and barely controlled fuel leaks that sometimes match the air passing through them.

My build blog:http://www.bmw2002faq.com/blog/163-simeons-blog/

WOW, what a find !!

hmmmm, seeing a picture of that plastic cover thingie, it is jiggling a minor handful of my few remaining memory cells ....... can't recall for certain that my '74tii had one, but ........

And good news:  I'm seeing the alternator mounting bracket and tension arm.

Also of interest:  a "horizontal" cold start valve hose connector.  Not vertical as expected.

Cheers,

Carl

Edited by OriginalOwner

Paul,

Please take and post lots of photos of that engine. That's a museum piece, better leave it alone! :D

Not really, but there are a lot of answers to piddly questions in that engine. It's not been molested (much). The routing of that fuel line between the k-fish and the cold start valve doesn't look like any photos I've seen before. However, BMW didn't build all their cars exactly alike back then, either.

Edited by JerryC

Jerry

no bimmer, for now

8 hours ago, Simeon said:

Has it got the radiator hose with the bulge? :D

He says it does, but in the trunk with the emergency kit where it belongs. 

If I ever came across one of them screw covers, I'd make a silicone mold and reproduce them on the cheap for all to have. HINT! 

Edited by conkitchen

But what do I know

1 hour ago, JerryC said:

The routing of that fuel line between the k-fish and the cold start valve doesn't look like any photos I've seen before.

No, it's definitely not OEM, not even the right hose type.  The original was braid-covered.  Who knows why it's on the engine.  We never will.  It will be discarded.

The wiring harness is in unusually good shape.  Connector covers are still in one piece.

1 hour ago, conkitchen said:

If I ever came across one of them screw covers, I'd make a silicone mold and reproduce them on the cheap for all to have. HINT! 

That did cross my mind.  It could happen.

73 Inka Tii #2762958

I just checked my car while I was making dinner.  

Lo and behold, it looks like it has that cap.  I can't tell if I'm orienteering myself at the correct angle.  I'm standing on the front passenger corner of the car, peering onto the rear side of the K fish.  I think I'm at the correct angle - judging from Paul's pic.  

The top of the cap has that triangle symbol on the top (it looks like the triangle on the side of the Kfish, I suppose).  But mine is longer and somewhat tapered towards the top.  

And (cue the dramatic music)...it's black, I think.  

I was doing this looking when I was grilling, so I couldn't spend a ton of time on it.  

Scott

02ing since '87

'72 tii Euro  //  '21 330i x //  '14 BMW X5  //  '12 VW Jetta GLI