• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My Tii Engine Project. Found An Interesting Part.

PaulTWinterton

Here for the Cold Start Injector Boot:

http://www.autoatlanta.com/Porsche-914-Fuel-Injector-Boot-srch.html

They were used on most D-Jetronic systems of the day.

Scroll down, they are half the cost of Finntech, and a bit closer too.

Should be able to look tomorrow for your "?" on the harness.

Still searching for the 'eared" boot for the temp switch and the fuel pump.

Ted

I looked at my harness in the Turbo and another '72 tii that I have. I think the "?" on the LH side of the image is the oil pressure switch, but it would be helpful if you could give me the wire colors for those that you have "?". Then I can decipher it definitively if you don't have access to the wiring diagrams...... Remember though that there are some changes between the years, but I think this sub harness is the same.

54 minutes ago, Einspritz said:

I think the "?" on the LH side of the image is the oil pressure switch

I believe you are correct on that one.  Same as my 73tii.

55 minutes ago, Einspritz said:

would be helpful if you could give me the wire colors for those that you have "?"

Ha.  That would be helpful if I hadn't re-covered the wires.  Could be more difficult.  And yes I have wiring diagrams but I go cross-eyed trying to decipher the codes.

57 minutes ago, Einspritz said:

Remember though that there are some changes between the years, but I think this sub harness is the same.

This harness is definitely different than my 73tii harness.  I followed the path of my 73 one and it does not have the various branches that the 74 harness has.  I'm sure they perform the same functions but appear to be threaded (somewhat) differently.

73 Inka Tii #2762958

Ok; I don't know what the "?" on the Left is as the oil pressure switch is on a different harness.

However, on the right, the single longest wire with the white coupling is to the fuse box, fuse 12 and should be a green-white wire.

The stub and pigtail, should be black wire and one goes to the starter harness and the other goes to the diagnostic connector....at least from a Model '73 diagram.

Need to know wire color!

Ted

Yum. That looks like museum quality. Now that it's fully completed you can now section a quarter out of it and show us the internal workings. 

Who am am I kidding? Get that in a car and running ASAP. 

rtheriaque wrote:

Carbs: They're necessary and barely controlled fuel leaks that sometimes match the air passing through them.

My build blog:http://www.bmw2002faq.com/blog/163-simeons-blog/

2 hours ago, Simeon said:

Who am am I kidding? Get that in a car and running ASAP. 

Thanks for the comments.  My conundrum...what now?  Look at it?  Sell it?  Use it someday?  Or the worst, steal parts from it for my tii if I need to.

It is wrapped in plastic with moisture inhibitors, so I don't have to rush on a decision.

But I SO WANT TO SEE IT RUNNING!

73 Inka Tii #2762958

My project is coming to a close.    I hope I haven't been abusive by using the General Discussion board to chronicle my engine restoration.    If so, I apologize. It just got out of hand, like the engine that I bought and planned to play with for a few years.  Six months later...58e9e2c65b811_EngineFINAL1.thumb.jpg.1d2c4110d0b029fac48f01dd67b6e40d.jpg

I have officially restored and rebuilt my first engine!  I learned so much, not the least of which is how much I will never know.

I have a renewed respect for the engineers that create engines and the professionals that understand all the workings and then modify them to perform even better.  There are some of you on this forum.  Thanks for being here.

58e9e34d41a36_EngineHiRez1.thumb.jpg.4a45936c588acafb3e546d61a727f4c4.jpg

What a great experience, and all told the only part that was daunting was dismantling the dirty/grimy/oily carcass of a dormant engine.  I had parts everywhere: in the trunk of my car, in boxes, in bags, on shelves and on the floor.  Seeing all those parts eventually accumulate back onto the engine was satisfying in itself.

I couldn't have done this job without input from the FAQ but mostly with the tutelage  of Rick Stephenson, veteran BMW technician, 02 mentor and friend.  Thanks Rick.  Re-assembling the pistons, block and the head were the most fun.

I also can't say enough about using professional services to do the job right.  I'm talking about Wes Ingram Enterprises to restore and rebuild the Kugelfischer system and my machine shop for their work on the head, block, crank, etc.

58e9e35af30b5_EngineHiRez2.thumb.jpg.20dd7635cf1b676ec2c88ca1bf774c64.jpg

I was also fortunate to have good suppliers of parts.  LaJolla, Ireland, Walloth&Nesch and RogersTii  all came through with great parts and service.

Thanks for reading and your encouragement through the process.

P.S.  I still need a correct (rebuilt) alternator and a correct (re-curved) distributor... Then it's PLUG N' PLAY BABY!

73 Inka Tii #2762958

I want to put those pics on a t-shirt and put the t-shirt in a museum.

Epic.  And most importantly for those with a tii, inspirational.

A thorough joy to watch this evolve, can't wait to hear what happens next!

Daniel