• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My Tii Engine Project. Found An Interesting Part.

PaulTWinterton

After reading all these posts on the Tii distributor I am wondering what the setup on mine is doing. I am the original owner of a 74 Tii. In 1989 I rebuilt the engine and had the car trailered to Korman for pre-startup checks and then they started the engine and tuned. When I got the car back from Korman they had removed the emissions diaphragm from the air cleaner housing and instead ran a small hose (Orange) from the manifold to the vacuum advance diaphragm on the distributor. This is the way I've run the car for 28 years.  I have not tried to remove hose and drive.  Any ideas on whether it hurts or helps performance?  Excuse the cleanliness and fuel hoses which have all been changed.

Glen

666A0049.JPG

1 hour ago, Glen Karr said:

Any ideas on whether it hurts or helps performance?

I can't comment as I'm still pretty new to the engine electrical systems, but if you have good torque, smooth running, and MPG at 24+ (highway) I'd say that you're doing well.  At present those are my benchmarks on the 73tii.

73 Inka Tii #2762958

On 2/26/2017 at 8:20 PM, PaulTWinterton said:

Exactly.  I found an Asian supplier with a long delivery time and confusing product pictures.  Not sure if you'd get the right thing.

You could make your own ;-)

http://www.instructables.com/id/High-Quality-Copper-Plating/

Read all the comments first.

Cheers,

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

6 hours ago, ray_ said:

You could make your own ;-)

That's pretty cool.  Now I want to ask to Rick Stephenson.  He cad plated some of my parts.  He has the complete set up and maybe only needs the copper components to do this job.

I did contact BMW.  They do have the copper-plated bolts.  $9.00 each (Canadian).   That's about $7. US.  Not the end of the world but robbery none the less.

73 Inka Tii #2762958

Here's some information posted a long time ago by C.D. regarding the US 1974 2002tii fuel injection and distributor.  My 1974 tii still retains all of the stock setup (injection pump, distributor and vacuum limiter valve).

(on the air cleaner housing)

1974 2002 tii emission control changes:
" To reach more favorable control of HC (hydro carbons / unburned gas) during coasting (during high manifold vacuum), the air filter and the intake manifold were connected by an air-hose in which is interconnected a vacuum limiter.

The valve is controled by vacuum and connected to the vacuum line between the intake manifold and the vacuum unit of the distributor. At high vacuum , the valve opens the air-hose fully. "

FUEL INJECTOR PUMP WITH MODIFIED IDLE ADJUSTMENT:
"In conjunction with the described vacuum Limiter Valve, the fuel injector pump got a new idle adjustment. During coasting (closed throttle butterfly), the pump injects a small amount of fuel and produces in connection with the air through the Limiter Valve an air mixture. This fuel injector pump has the factory type number
92 004 020
PL04 - 124.02.A1
on a plate at the left side of the housing.
These injector pumps are not exchangeable with hitherto existing injector pumps."

MODIFIED IGNITION DISTRIBUTOR WITH VACUUM RETARDER:
Dwell angle 60*
spark plug gap 0.024"
idle speed 850 ...1000 rpm

information from BMW of North America Emission Control Training Manual 6/1978

part number for the Vacuum Limiter Valve is 11.74.1.259.110 (No Longer Available)
testing of the valve should be easy using a hand vacuum pump and checking for leakage

happy trails,

Creighton Demarest
Darien, CT.

Edited by JohnS

'73tii Inka 🍊

'74tii Fjord 🏄‍♂️

11 minutes ago, JohnS said:

Here's some information posted a long time ago by C.D. regarding the US 1974 2002tii fuel injection and distributor.  My 1974 tii still retains all of the stock setup (injection pump, distributor and vacuum limiter valve).

Thanks.  Interesting reading.  

73 Inka Tii #2762958

H again Paul,

When Jeff Schlemmer at Advanced Distributors rebuilt the stock 0 231 180 013 distributor in my '74tii, he suggested that I plug off the vacuum (retard) port on the distributor and then it would have the same curve as the regular 008 tii distributor and would give me slightly better performance.  I ended up not plugging the vacuum port and keeping all of the stock bits in place.  It works fine as it is.  I figured that all of the specific parts on the '74 work together as a matched set (different distributor, different injection pump and that wacky vacuum limiter valve).  All of those bits are strictly for emissions control and don't seem to hurt the performance that much.  I wanted to keep my '74 car original.  Your engine build looks awesome by the way.  If you have a choice, I'd stick with the pump from a '73 and the 008 distributor.  Depends what year of car it's going to end up in.  But, that's just me.  I'm still using points too :) Thanks,

John

Information on the years & injection pumps:  http://www.2002tii.org/kb/133

My rebuilt 0 231 180 013

0 231 180 013.JPG

My rebuilt 0 231 151 008

0 231 151 008.JPG

Edited by JohnS

'73tii Inka 🍊

'74tii Fjord 🏄‍♂️

11 hours ago, JohnS said:

If you have a choice, I'd stick with the pump from a '73 and the 008 distributor.  Depends what year of car it's going to end up in.

Thank you John, for the comments.

Love those pictures of Advanced's work.  He does such a nice job aesthetically, as well as the functional rebuilding.

Wes Ingram (Enterprises) rebuilt my 74tii injection pump.  I asked Herb about the difference between 73 and 74 pumps.  Negligible was the answer.  I'm still leaning toward my 008 distributor w/ deleted vacuum advance to complete this engine.

Edited by PaulTWinterton

73 Inka Tii #2762958

Here's some information posted a long time ago by C.D. regarding the US 1974 2002tii fuel injection and distributor.  My 1974 tii still retains all of the stock setup (injection pump, distributor and vacuum limiter valve

Thanks John.

This helps me also.

Glen

On 3/26/2017 at 7:11 PM, Einspritz said:

Now I recall, the sleeves are wiring harness PVC or Vinyl and that is what keeps the chafing at bay.

I ran across this photo of c.d.'s engine bay today.

His electrical system is well protected, from cap to coil and all points in between!

58dc16bf837a4_c.d.senginebay.thumb.jpg.f9902d7f962fb2d58d9eb7f7c9c1dc04.jpg

Not all Original, I know.  Cool though.

Here is the other use I found for the rubberized clamps

not original... but consistent : )

052.thumb.JPG.bddfb84453d5dddb060b547f9690c1a4.JPG

(vacuum and fuel lines)

• Like 1

That is too nice to ever get dirty.

Where did you get the proper clamps?

Also, did you make a change to the alternator?

I see that you have the proper boot for the cold start injector. I am starting to make a new wiring harness and have located all the parts save for the plug and boots for the cold start temp switch and fuel pump (they are the same on a Turbo), as well as the plugs for the cold start injector. Would you happen to know where I can get those or a cross reference? I have the bosch number here somewhere....OK not for the 10 pin dash plug...

Thanks,

Ted

I still have a small list of parts needed to complete the engine.

- correct alternator

- 08 distributor curved for tii

- breather hose

- whatever else I've missed.

1 hour ago, Einspritz said:

Where did you get the proper clamps?

I got the FI clamps at an auto parts store.  11-13mm size.

1 hour ago, Einspritz said:

I see that you have the proper boot for the cold start injector. I am starting to make a new wiring harness and have located all the parts save for the plug and boots for the cold start temp switch and fuel pump (they are the same on a Turbo), as well as the plugs for the cold start injector. Would you happen to know where I can get those or a cross reference?

I was lucky that the FI wiring harness was mostly intact when I got the engine.  I cleaned and tested and then replaced the brittle plastic sheathing and loom tape.  Rick Stephenson (stephers) showed me a catalog picture from a Swedish company that makes a boot identical to the CS injector boot.  He can chime in hopefully.

HarnessBefore1sml.thumb.jpg.66ec1bb5fed7a07e79d725123a1a915e.jpg

73 Inka Tii #2762958