• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What brand of tools do you like?

Redtail

I bought a set of Kobalt wrenches and sockets with the large laser etched markings. ...great so far. I am going to replace whatever I can with the large laser etched markings...my near field vision has gotten to the point where having these makes things so much easier!

My tool box is filled with all brands of tools. Snap On, Mac, Craftsman, Chinese knock-offs too. Whatever gets the job done at a reasonable price. I wouldn't be married to any specific brand, get whatever you can afford that gets the job done. That's my advice.

Anthony

----------------------------------------------------------------------

1972 2002 Atlantik

Bunch of old airhead BMW motorcycles

I really like S-K as well.  They went under, but came back up, and seem to still be pretty good.  Good screwdrivers for the money, especially,

but the wrenches and sockets are good, too.  The wrenches are quite heavy, though.

For wrenches, I like Weller when I can find them- I think they're long gone.  Very good feel, light, tough as nails.  And used, no- one knows what they are, so they're inexpensive.

King Dick are great- they are HARD to find in the US.  I think frat boys hoard them...

Cornwell is good, too- they still exist, but I think they somehow make money out of being unavailable anywhere.  I wish I could master that trick.

Mac is not a bad choice, but recently, I think they're almost as pricey as $nap- on.  Sometimes better, sometimes not quite as good.

$nap- on is overpriced.  Not bad tools, though.

I LOVE Wiha screwdrivers, when I can justify them (#2 philips, for example, or small sizes)

Hazet is also very good for screwdrivers, and not too expensive through AutoHausAZ, of all places.

I have various Horror Freight large tools- a 3/4" metric socket set, for example, and a 4' pipe wrench- and 

they are appropriate for things like that.

I'm sure there's more...

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

I have the Pittsburg auto tool mega box (thingy) from Harbor Freight. It's quite nice, actually. And SO cheap. I hear the only thing you generally want to steer clear of from harbor freight is power tools. Personally, I love DeWalt when it comes to power tools.

Edited by flagoworld

'74 Verona

I really like Gedore wrenches and sockets and have found amazing Ebay deals on them over the years. Same with Facom, but I think the Facom deals are gone now that Stanley bought them. Otherwise, I'm good with the Chinese amd Taiwanese stuff everyone else has mentioned.

1971 2002ti

pawn shops are my favorite place to shop for tools. i will make a list of what i need, then hit the pawn shops.

you usually have to dig, and it can be time consuming/ dirty, but have come up with some good finds so i don't mind.

This is great info guys, thanks so much. For some reason I imagined everyone on here had huge roller boxes jammed full of shiny Snap-on & Mac sets. 

I actually just ordered a set of Whia screwdrivers and need to start looking around for a big set of wrenches. I'd like a single matching set in my tool box that goes from 7 to 27mm.

I do like the professional series Craftsman. Hard to find and not always in stock.

Can't beat Pawn Shop Snap-on.

Snap on flank drive sockets are worth whatever you have to pay for them. A fine drive 1/4 inch flex head ratchet is an excellent investment. I keep mine with a short extension and a 10mm deep well on it. A Snap-On #2 Philips head screw driver is also a standard must have.

John

Fresh squeezed horseshoes and hand grenades

I have mostly Craftsman hand tools.  Only had (1) bad 1/2" ratchet. Both of my torque wrenches are Craftsman brand.

Some various Snap-on items acquired from Estate sales and other random places.

Very expensive ball peen hammer (Blue Point brand) purchased from a MAC tools truck about 1986 is still my favorite. 

Griot's Garage random orbital polisher/buffer is very nice (not sure of the actual brand). 

I have some HF items  - some are just OK.  Others are junk.

Try looking for the S-P  logo on specialty automotive tools.  This (possibly was at one time) the Schley Brothers from the West Coast who were VW drag racers.  Very high quality items like their VW 12V/6V flywheel lock tool that works on the M10 engine.

Baum is another high quality specialty automotive brand.

Too bad about Black & Decker being bought and cheapened. They used to be one of the best brands for power equipment like jig saws, circular saws, etc.  My father has a bunch of woodworking tools and even still has his very first Sears "shop vac" with thick plastic bin and metal motor base from the mid '70's.  He still has a S-K 3/8" socket set in the green metal case.

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

I LOVE my Gearwrench X-beam set - they are like a normal Gearwrench but the axis of the two ends are rotated 90 degrees. Really makes leveraging on a nut much easier, doesn't kill your hand as much.

GearWrench 85888 12 Piece Set Metric X-Beam Combination Ratcheting Wrench https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000NIAKGI/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awd_tdeOwb7V6N97H

The rest of my stuff is a mutt mix of older Craftsman, SK, HF, a small amount of Snap-on and a socket set I picked up at Costco which has turned out to be very good quality at a real bargain. I keep an eye open at flea markets, yard sales, thrift stores and similar - not always with success, but it sure beats shopping for clothes and every now and again I score a coup.

1987 E28 535is -- Buttercup

1974 2002tii -- Pretty Penny

1994 E34 M5 -- Horehund

2001 E36/7 M Roadster -- Shaggy

Oh, and while I can't afford much Snap-On stuff, if you look on Amazon you can find Snap-On/CDI brand torque wrenches for surprisingly reasonable prices.  For something as important as a torque wrench, I think it's well worth it to have a trusted brand, and I'm happy with mine.

Bring a Welder

1974 2002, 1965 Datsun L320 truck, 1981 Yamaha XS400, 1983 Yamaha RX50, 1992 Miata Miata drivetrain waiting on a Locost frame, 1999 Toyota Land Cruiser

For things like ratchets and ratcheting wrenches, you do tend to get what you pay for. The better tools have more teeth, so they will work in a more narrow space than other tools.

I also have bought tools from JH Williams, which is a Snap On brand, but built overseas. Good quality at a lower price. I also have a tool kit from Silver Eagle, which is Matco's step down brand. Also good quality.

But I have a large variety of tools from different makers. Kobalt impresses me. Old Craftsmans that you get at estate sales or swap meets is usually good stuff too.

-David

1972 2002 - 2577652 Follow the fun