• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What brand of tools do you like?

Redtail

It's time for me to get some new tools and I was wondering what brand everyone likes these days? I had been a Craftsman loyalist, but now that they are no longer made in the USA, the quality has noticeably dropped off. I don't think Snap-On or the equivalent is right for my hobby usage, as it's just too expensive for me to justify.

Is there a brand you guys like that's good quality and affordable? I'd be fine ordering something internationally if there are German tools that would get along better with our german bolts  :D

Call me frugal or perhaps even cheap but Harbour Freight for the money goes a long way. Although I have some of every make in the tool kit too. Seems that with every project car I get my hands on ( two or three a year) pays small dividends in the form of a free tool.

post-33884-0-86826200-1453258558_thumb.j

Edited by conkitchen

But what do I know

What sort of tools are we talking about here? Hand tools? Power tools?

Personally, I'm not brand loyal to any one in particular. I generally try to take the approach of evaluating the degree of use that I expect to get out of a tool. If it's something I just see very occasional use for and doesn't require fine calibration (a stud welding gun I got recently fit this bill) I will entertain Harbor Freight. However, if it's something I will use with a high degree of frequency or benefits from a tighter tolerance of build quality, I save my pennies and splurge on a good one. Up until a few years ago, I'd only ever used cheapo Black and Decker jigsaws. For the life of me, I couldn't figure out why anybody ever used a jigsaw, they were just so frustrating. Then I used a friends very nice Bosch and it completely changed my perspective on jigsaws as a whole. I bought one the following week and still enjoy using it to this day.

I bought a bunch of craftsman a while back so that makes up the bulk. I have a set of Autozone brand Duralast that I have in my junkyard bag, actually very nice so far. I also have had good experience with Pittsburgh tools from Harbor freight although I usually won't buy anything super technical there, more like brute force tools or, let's face it, tools I'm too cheap to shell out for and would rather "just be careful" with.

I used to look for the cheapest, but now I say "I'm too cheap to buy cheap tools" and with a full (small) rolling cart of tools I get the best I can afford. 

I do have MAC and SNAP-ON in my tool chest though... One small socket each, junkyard finds.

Edited by theNomad

My faves:

Snap-on ratchets (used from fleabay)

Craftsman screwdrivers

Craftsman or Harbor Freight sockets and extensions (my HF sockets have held up quite well). Craftsman for the odd sizes.

Gearwrench ratcheting wrenches

Klutch heavy duty impact gun (600 ft-pounds haven't gotten stuck yet)

Channel-Lock pliers

Arcan jack

HF jack stands

Edited by Rob S

Rob S
'69 2002; '04 330i ZHP; 2018 X1; 2014 535i; 2017 340i

What sort of tools are we talking about here? Hand tools? Power tools?

Hand tools is mainly what I'm interested in. Wrenches, sockets etc.

I have been wanting to get my hands on some British King Dick or Britool wrenches as I've heard they are very good, but again, I don't think the new ones are as nice as they were made in the past.

Estate sales.  Amazing what you can find as far as hand tools, even if the place has been picked over.  And once in a while you might get really lucky.

1973 tii, agave, since 1992

1973 tii block 2763759

1967 Mustang GT fastback, since 1986

1999 Toyota 4Runner, 5 speed, ELocker, Supercharged

For wrenches and sockets, Toptul is a great deal. Quality comparable to Snap on, at fraction of price. Made in taiwan, and available from dnschmidt on ebay or direct. Not any decent distribution like craftman or kobalt. Other good choices for wrenches are Williams and Wright. Armstrong locking flex ratchets are nice and reasonable. Knipex for pliers.

If you're going for strength, I did some testing and found that Kobalt and HF tools give you the most strength for the dollar. (I had to do some research for an engineering class) I also proved that current USA made Craftsman box end wrenches are weaker, yes you read the right, than the current Chinese Craftsman box end wrenches.

But overall, I own some Snap-On (all purchased used at garage sales), lots of Craftsman, plenty of HF (I LOVE their air impact gun and sockets!!), as well as a few off brands (Arcan jack, ACDelco wrenches and jack stands, misc brand garage sale tools). In the end, the stuff you get at the auto parts store and the cheap stuff at the hardware store is junk. The rest, not so bad.

Oh, and a little picture because why not :) (Snap-On 1/2 box end with about 900lb of downward force on it, it started close to horizontal)

IMG_1092.JPG

-Nathan
'76 2002 in Malaga (110k Original, 2nd Owner, sat for 20 years and now a toy)
'86 Chevy K20 (6.2 Turbo Diesel build) & '46 Chevy 2 Ton Dump Truck
'74 Suzuki TS185, '68 BSA A65 Lightning (garage find), '74 BMW R90S US Spec #2

• Administrators

I bought a bunch of Gearwrench wrenches, ratchet and sockets. Absolutely love them.  Feel good in hand and actually accurate. 

I like Kobolt from Lowes also and Husky from Home Depot, but the availability is not the greatest.  I found that recent Craftsman wrenches were not accurate enough.  I usually expect a 10mm wrench to actually be 10mm.

Here is the stuff that i bought:

Metric Wrenches http://www.amazon.com/GearWrench-9416-Metric-Master-Ratcheting/dp/B0002NYD1W/

1/4 inch drive Ratchet and Sockets http://www.amazon.com/GearWrench-80300P-4-Inch-Standard-51-Piece/dp/B009PJPGR4/

3/8 inch drive Ratchet and Sockets http://www.amazon.com/GearWrench-80550P-8-Inch-Standard-56-Piece/dp/B009PJPH28/

1/2 inch drive Ratchet and Sockets http://www.amazon.com/GearWrench-80700P-2-Inch-Standard-49-Piece/dp/B009PJPKCA/

I like that a lot of Gearwrench stuff comes in cases that are already set up to be used in the big tool box

steve k.

Get your 2002 FAQ merchandise from 2002FAQ Store

My wife bought me Stanley wrench and ratchet sets. They have done everything I've needed to do. Also have a smattering of old craftsman and Snap-on wrenches and oil filter tools. Almost all my tools have been gifted to me by relatives and professional mechanics.

Andrew Wilson
Vern- 1973 2002tii, https://www.bmw2002faq.com/blogs/blog/304-andrew-wilsons-vern-restoration/ 
Veronika- 1968 1600 Cabriolet, Athena- 1973 3.0 CSi,  Rodney- 1988 M5, The M3- 1997 M3,

The Unicorn- 2007 X3, Julia- 2007 Z4 Coupe, Ophelia- 2014 X3, Herman- 1914 KisselKar 4-40