• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Which parts would you like to see BMW reproduce ?

Maximillian

Hi folks,

I am the owner of Maximillian Importing Co. and we have been in the BMW parts biz since (I don't want to date myself). Anyway, I had a conversation recently with the gentleman in charge of reproducing parts at BMW Classic. They would like to know which NLA or hard to find parts that you folks in the BMW community would like to see reproduced. It would be great if you could provide exact BMW part numbers (just head over to RealOEM.com and you can find them). Please note that this has to be an economically viable value proposition in order to be a win-win. They can not only make 100 pcs of a part for which tooling costs are too expensive to cover the end price. So here is your chance to be heard !! Please let us know what you think.

All the best,
Max
Maximillian Importing Company

Maximillian Importing Company

www.bimmer.com

800-950-2002

classicbmwparts@gmail.com

This is great to hear.  I can think of a few off the top of my head but wonder what their plan is once they get a list of parts?  Having parts available is one thing but available at a reasonable price is another.  Will they try to forecast sales and tooling costs to come up with a retail price prior to doing anything, then try to get feedback on whether the parts would sell?  I'd like them to reproduce dashboards, but I won't be buying one it they're $2000.

I'd like to see them start a production run of tii water pumps  and also tii front brake rotors again.  These have been on backorder for quite a while now.  Thanks,

John

'73tii Inka 🍊

'74tii Fjord 🏄‍♂️

This is great to hear.  I can think of a few off the top of my head but wonder what their plan is once they get a list of parts?  Having parts available is one thing but available at a reasonable price is another.  Will they try to forecast sales and tooling costs to come up with a retail price prior to doing anything, then try to get feedback on whether the parts would sell?  I'd like them to reproduce dashboards, but I won't be buying one it they're $2000.

great point......my thoughts as well.

Sport seats

Petri steering wheels

Dashboards

these are my first fantasies...lol.......Ill put some p/n's together.

Edited by jrkoupe

How about making some of their existing parts at lower prices? In some cases, having used them on a range of cars for 40 years, you would think they were still paying down the development costs.

Not a dig at you Max.

rtheriaque wrote:

Carbs: They're necessary and barely controlled fuel leaks that sometimes match the air passing through them.

My build blog:http://www.bmw2002faq.com/blog/163-simeons-blog/

51121823614, 51121823613 ('73 U.S. rear bumper bracket rubber covers)

Edited by ray_
  • Like 1

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

+1 on dashboards (and I'm not picky--I'll put a one-piece in my '73 if that's what they make).

1973 rear bumper bracket covers - 51 12 1 823 613 and 51 12 1 823 614

Shallow early grilles (or at least a spacer to make the deep grilles look better)

Matthew Cervi
'71 Bavaria

'18 M2

Hmm.  This thread looks very familiar.  I thought it was a revival but it isn't.   

Will look for the previous time we did this.

Stupid duplication error.

Edited by jgerock

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

for dashboards...especially 3 piece ones. As the Dang said, if they are going to be like $2k, not gonna happen...

Yes, but...the last dashboards available were 1-piece, and their final price, I believe, was $1,300-$1,400. It's hard to believe BMW can today produce, say, a $1,000 3-piece dashboard. Moreover, demand for 3-piece dashboards has actually been relatively small in the U.S., because owners have not been putting big dollars into the early cars, absent a handful of very early examples. In Europe, things might be different, with high-dollar ti's. And even the U.S. outlook may change with time, when those early models finally gain value. The big U.S. spenders nowadays -- and that is one factor BMW must consider -- are the round taillight tii's, and maybe that merits consideration of the 2-piece dashboards. All I'm really saying is, it's complicated: (1.) it's unlikely BMW would produce 1-piece, 2-piece, and 3-piece dashboards simultaneously -- they'll look at the target markets; and (2.) such items are going to be expensive -- hard to believe they'll be less than the prior pricing.

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

Ignition and door lock assemblies

Door latch assemblies, L&R.

Steering boxes, or at least rebuild parts including worm and rollers

40% limited slip parts, clutches, shims etc.

Get a little more REALISTIC about the near BAN on Euro/Grey Market parts entering the US.

Ignition and door lock assemblies

Door latch assemblies, L&R.

Steering boxes, or at least rebuild parts including worm and rollers

40% limited slip parts, clutches, shims etc.

Get a little more REALISTIC about the near BAN on Euro/Grey Market parts entering the US.

Tom Jones

BMW mechanic for over 25 years, BMWCCA since 1984
66 BMW16oo stored, 67 1600-2 lifelong project, 2 more 67-8 1600s, 86 528e 5sp 585k, 91 318i
Mom&Dad's, 65 1800TiSA, 70 2800, 72 2002Tii 2760007 orig owners, 15 Z4 N20