• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Michelin Xas -- Oops

Andy74tii

So, I thought I made a really great score on a set of old Michelin XAS on craigslist. I briefly checked the tires out, and they're amazingly pliable, almost no miles, almost like new. So I picked them up. It was only later, on closer examination, that I figured out the problem. It's hard to see in the pics below, but in several spots the inner carcass has "bubbles" where it has basically separated from the tread and belts. I think this just happens with 30-40 year old tires, no matter how well preserved they might appear. I know that these are tube tires, but even with tubes, I cannot see how they're usable..... caveat emptor! Has anyone else seen this issue before?

Andy74tii

post-9228-0-40833200-1408406636_thumb.jp

post-9228-0-06249900-1408406655_thumb.jp

post-9228-0-55586400-1408406670_thumb.jp

post-9228-0-98316100-1408406684_thumb.jp

post-9228-0-30617600-1408406706_thumb.jp

FAQ Member #126

Using tires older than 15 years -- no matter how beautiful they look -- endangers you and others on the road. Some people would move that cutoff to 10 years, and some to 5 years! Tires have dates because of this!

Steve

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

Check the manufacture date on the tires. There should be a DOT marking with letters and four digits. The first two digits are the week of the year and last two are the year tire was made. Before 2000 there was only three digits. Some times you may have to look on other side of tire. Looks can be deceiving. Don't drive on old tires at speed no matter how good they look.

Really great looking tires, from Michelin's website....my understanding is that FF compound is really soft, so if you drive a lot don't expect to get a lot of miles out of them.  Don't know exactly what that number is (guessing 15-20k depending on how you drive).  Someone here may know for sure....

www.alpinabmw2002.com

FF stands for Formula France, which is a tyre tread with a mixture that was specifically developed for competition.

It was the first standard tyre designed to run at 210 km/h (131 mph) and its exceptional performance naturally led to the XAS FF being used in Formula France racing from 1968 onwards, circuit racing, rallies and hill climbs.

Using tires older than 15 years -- no matter how beautiful they look -- endangers you and others on the road. Some people would move that cutoff to 10 years, and some to 5 years! Tires have dates because of this!

Steve

I'll say 6 years.

B)

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

I'll say 6 years.

B)

OK, Ray,

I'm going to see your 6 years and raise it, sort of!

Although I hardly think a regional tire retailer, Kauffman Tire, reflects a safety opinion independent of sales pressure, I asked them to move a set of Kumho's I purchased from them 4 years ago from one set of rims to another -- and may I add that I have bought 5 sets of Michelins from them in 5 years and they generally treat me royally. They said they could dismount 4-year-old tires but were not permitted by corporate policy to re-mount a tire more than 3 years old. They claimed it was a matter of legal liability.

Do I hear 2 years anyone?

Best,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

<tinfoil hat on>

Your mileage may vary.

and

Those XAS's are good for storing a concourse car on.  You could drive it on and off the trailer, carefully.

Not much else.

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

I've got 31 year old tires on my 50cc motorcycle.  They have lots of sidewall cracks, but they have tubes.  I have to fill them up pretty regularly.  I ride it around the yard and the neighborhood primarily.  :P

Edited by KFunk

Bring a Welder

1974 2002, 1965 Datsun L320 truck, 1981 Yamaha XS400, 1983 Yamaha RX50, 1992 Miata Miata drivetrain waiting on a Locost frame, 1999 Toyota Land Cruiser

I had a decent tire I just wanted to mount on a rim for a spare tire only to be used in emergencies. I had a chain store tell me that they couldn't mount the tire because it was four years old and their liability rules will not allow "old" tires to be installed. I then took the tire to a local ma & pop tire store where the owner didn't bat an eye on my request to mount the tire on the rim. Ten minutes later and my wallet ten dollars lighter, I was on my way. 

G-Man

74 tii (many mods)
91 318i M42

07 4Runner

If those Michelins are really that old, way back when Michelin had a tread life warranty against defects on tires.  I had a few scattered failures with Michelin X's back then (and one with an XAS) and Michelin made good on 'em.  You might want to contact Michelin about these tires.  All they can do is say no, and all you've wasted is a few minutes and a few electrons.  

Good luck

Mike

PS, for those of you who have access to auto hobby shops on military bases, you can mount/demount your own tires with no nannys looking over your shoulder to see how old your tires are...and the price is right!

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Guys, the date code looks like this: DOT FH E9 A58 X 437. My understanding is that the date code is the last 3, so 43rd week of a year ending in 7. As I understand it, the 3 digit date code is pre-2000, so it's either 1997 or 1987 or 1977 or 1967, etc...

FAQ Member #126