Ireland Engineering Tii Distributor Experience?

Lengrep

My '73 tii arrived from the restoration shop with a mystery distributor (no markings), which may be contributing to a remarkable lack of power...

Anyway, I quickly discovered the global crisis regarding Bosch distributors for these cars, and noticed that Ireland offers a $180 replacement unit of their own manufacture, with electronic ignition.  

Does anyone have experience with these? I don't see any comments in the forums...

Thanks, folks!!

Greg

Toby,  I believe that the "global crisis" Greg is referring to is that the futures market in tii distributor is dominated by the Bosch brothers and they are driving the price through the roof. ;) Stay on the sidelines and wait for a correction.  I hear there is a warehouse in Nebraska full of tii distributors and when they hit the market the price will come way down..... :)

• 9 months later...

Question for those who have installed this unit: Did you have a hard time inserting it into the dizzy housing? The O-Ring doesn't want to pass into housing as it sticks out too far. My first attempt ended in the O-Ring tearing. I spent a good hour last night on it, using and older O-Ring and was barely able to get it in. I also spread the clamping portion open a little. I'm not sure if I damaged the ring or not.

Advice?

Scott

After breaking three o rings and receiving no help from IE I send the distributor back. When comparing the the o ring slot on the I E versus the stock distributor I swore the slot was not machined correctly causing the o ring to protrude out.

If you managed to get it in, drive with it and check for oil leaks. If you tore the o ring you will get a leak. If you didn't tear it you should be good to go.

Edited by Stevenc22

Thanks Steven. The way I learned the first O-Ring tore, was oil leaking, yup. I love the distributor (quality seems amazing) and my motor sounds very happy, but I suspected the machining was off as well. I had read comments in the past about oil leaking, but it seemed to be a thing of past. Evidently not. Unless there's some trick pro way of installing it, that I am not aware of, because I'm really just a snow-bank mechanic. :) 

I coated it with oil, before & during installing... but the gasket just protrudes too much.

Andrew (Ace Andrew), do you have any insight?

Thanks-

Scott

After breaking three o rings and receiving no help from IE I send the distributor back. When comparing the the o ring slot on the I E versus the stock distributor I swore the slot was not machined correctly causing the o ring to protrude out.

If you managed to get it in, drive with it and check for oil leaks. If you tore the o ring you will get a leak. If you didn't tear it you should be good to go.

Thanks Scott! I think I may have it in and not leaking... but... I will definitely send off my Mechanical dizzy to be rebuilt.

Scott

An alternative is to have Advanced Distributors rebuild your current one, or any dizzy you pick up.  On the advice of a few FAQers, that is what I'm doing for my car.

Scott

I have installed a few, and had this issue with two of them, the oring groove measured different between the ones I had issues with, the one that went in easily that I still had in the shop when having the issue with the others, and a bosch one. Once in, they worked great. If your car seems down on power, it is probably timed differently than before.