• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ireland Engineering Tii Distributor Experience?

Lengrep

My '73 tii arrived from the restoration shop with a mystery distributor (no markings), which may be contributing to a remarkable lack of power...

Anyway, I quickly discovered the global crisis regarding Bosch distributors for these cars, and noticed that Ireland offers a $180 replacement unit of their own manufacture, with electronic ignition.  

Does anyone have experience with these? I don't see any comments in the forums...

Thanks, folks!!

Greg

January 30, 1973 Agave tii

April 24, 1974 Chamonix Turbo (German delivery)

I've purchased two Ireland distributors. I run one on a carby car, the other on a tii. They work like a charm. Ireland stands by and supports their products, providing excellent service to the 2002 community.

williamggruff

'76 2002 "Verona" / '12 Fiat 500 Sport "Latte" / '21 Toyota 4Runner TRD Off Road Prem “The Truck”

I've had mine a couple of months now and have been happy with it. My only comment would be that the bales that hold the cap on are very flimsy and bent first time I tried to snap them on. I had to switch the ones from the old dizzy and modify them for the new cap.

'71 02 - parts car with not many parts left

'73 02 - weekend toy and money pit

'74 04 - sold in '91

'03 325iT - for trips and bad weather

'03 50cc Honda Scooter - for my 2 mile commute

'06 50cc Honda scooter - wife's commuter

I've been running an IE distributor since May. Car runs great since it was installed.

Andrew Wilson
Vern- 1973 2002tii, https://www.bmw2002faq.com/blogs/blog/304-andrew-wilsons-vern-restoration/ 
Veronika- 1968 1600 Cabriolet, Athena- 1973 3.0 CSi,  Rodney- 1988 M5, The M3- 1997 M3,

The Unicorn- 2007 X3, Julia- 2007 Z4 Coupe, Ophelia- 2014 X3, Herman- 1914 KisselKar 4-40

global crisis 

???

Are they jumping out of boxes and slaughtering people en masse?

Possessing cars and running amok on elementary school playgrounds?

Hard to get?

Wearing out after 20 or 30 years?

Enquiring minds gave up on us a long time ago...

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

Toby,  I believe that the "global crisis" Greg is referring to is that the futures market in tii distributor is dominated by the Bosch brothers and they are driving the price through the roof. ;) Stay on the sidelines and wait for a correction.  I hear there is a warehouse in Nebraska full of tii distributors and when they hit the market the price will come way down..... :)

'71 MGB - sold   '74 2002 - sold

'89 XR4Ti - sold  '94 Miata R Package - sold

'73 tii - restoration project - sold

Greg,

I put Ireland Engineering's tii dizzy in my '72 a little over a month ago. That, along with IE's Weber 32/36 to replace my Solex 2bbl, (which IE kindly jetted to c.d.iesel's "prescription") made all the difference in the world.  It is now a pleasure to drive. GO FOR IT!!!

Bob

-Bob
(current: 1972 Malaga 2002, VIN 2584644, build date July 26, 1972)

Previous: 1973 Sahara 2002 #2585896 (RIP), 1969 1600, 1971 2002, 1964 Triumph Herald convertible, 1965 Triumph Herald convertible, 1961 Triumph TR3A, 1967 Triumph TR4A-irs, 1959 Austin Healey 100/6, and about 10 other cars (most of which were quite boring)...

• 9 months later...

Question for those who have installed this unit: Did you have a hard time inserting it into the dizzy housing? The O-Ring doesn't want to pass into housing as it sticks out too far. My first attempt ended in the O-Ring tearing. I spent a good hour last night on it, using and older O-Ring and was barely able to get it in. I also spread the clamping portion open a little. I'm not sure if I damaged the ring or not.

Advice?

Scott

1976 2002 Custom Dk Blue w/ Pearl

1975 2002A Sahara (sold Feb 2008)

SiteNamecopy.jpg

After breaking three o rings and receiving no help from IE I send the distributor back. When comparing the the o ring slot on the I E versus the stock distributor I swore the slot was not machined correctly causing the o ring to protrude out.

If you managed to get it in, drive with it and check for oil leaks. If you tore the o ring you will get a leak. If you didn't tear it you should be good to go.

Edited by Stevenc22

1976 BMW 2002 Chamonix. My first love.

1972 BMW 2002tii Polaris. My new side piece.

Thanks Steven. The way I learned the first O-Ring tore, was oil leaking, yup. I love the distributor (quality seems amazing) and my motor sounds very happy, but I suspected the machining was off as well. I had read comments in the past about oil leaking, but it seemed to be a thing of past. Evidently not. Unless there's some trick pro way of installing it, that I am not aware of, because I'm really just a snow-bank mechanic. :) 

I coated it with oil, before & during installing... but the gasket just protrudes too much.

Andrew (Ace Andrew), do you have any insight?

Thanks-

Scott

After breaking three o rings and receiving no help from IE I send the distributor back. When comparing the the o ring slot on the I E versus the stock distributor I swore the slot was not machined correctly causing the o ring to protrude out.

If you managed to get it in, drive with it and check for oil leaks. If you tore the o ring you will get a leak. If you didn't tear it you should be good to go.

SiteNamecopy.jpg

An alternative is to have Advanced Distributors rebuild your current one, or any dizzy you pick up.  On the advice of a few FAQers, that is what I'm doing for my car.

Scott

02ing since '87

'72 tii Euro  //  '21 330i x //  '14 BMW X5  //  '12 VW Jetta GLI

Thanks Scott! I think I may have it in and not leaking... but... I will definitely send off my Mechanical dizzy to be rebuilt.

Scott

An alternative is to have Advanced Distributors rebuild your current one, or any dizzy you pick up.  On the advice of a few FAQers, that is what I'm doing for my car.

Scott

SiteNamecopy.jpg

I think its a cheap Chinese modified 009 POS. I went through two of them trying to get it to work. No Go . I bought a Bosch Tii mechanical had it rebuilt . I put it in it fired right up. I still have a brand new IE dizzy in the box.

I have installed a few, and had this issue with two of them, the oring groove measured different between the ones I had issues with, the one that went in easily that I still had in the shop when having the issue with the others, and a bosch one. Once in, they worked great. If your car seems down on power, it is probably timed differently than before.