• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ireland Engineering Tii Distributor Experience?

Lengrep

Yes, the IE dizzy works pretty well once installed. 

I had similar issues with fitting the damn thing into the housing as others have mentioned.  I had removed the retaining nut and bolt, then used a medium sized pry bar to spread the opening up a bit.  I still need to used picks and small slotted screwdrivers to stuff the O-ring bellow the housing opening.

The later ones are different with a thinner Oring in the upper groove.  You don't need the thicker Oring one in the bottom groove.  Remove the thicker one and it slips right in with just a little effort spreading the flange.

71 2002

06 330i

hmmm I bought mine a few months ago & it came w/ the fat O-Ring... Good news, I did manage to stuff it in, and did not detsoy the rubber ring, and it's not leaking oil. Running beautifully! I ALSO used a small pry bar to open the gap... I will still send the bosch out to get rebuilt. Curious what Ace Andrew can provide for insight...

The later ones are different with a thinner Oring in the upper groove.  You don't need the thicker Oring one in the bottom groove.  Remove the thicker one and it slips right in with just a little effort spreading the flange.

Edited by sislane

1976 2002 Custom Dk Blue w/ Pearl

1975 2002A Sahara (sold Feb 2008)

SiteNamecopy.jpg

Hey Scott,

Truthfully I don't have as much personal experience with this distributor, I have been running the ignitor from one in my stock distributor for about 3 years now. 

I know the groove was machined too high in a past batch but that was all taken care of some time ago.

In regards to the o-ring.  Not running the distributor because of an ill-fitting o-ring is like not wearing a wedding ring because it doesn't fit (rather than taking it to a local jewelry store and re-sized).

In response to this post I pulled out one head and half a dozen of the factory distributor housings   I found that some of the factory housings did vary a little bit on the OD and that the side-relief slot also varied slightly.   Next I grabbed a new distributor from off the shelf.  We have had x2 different o-rings and found that the smaller OD o-ring fit much more frequently than the larger o-ring we've been supplying.

tiidistributor2_zpsecd25d00.jpg

After talking with the guys in shipping we'll be sending out both size o-rings to help mitigate potential o-ring issues.

tiidistributor1_zps7b69bea1.jpg

One more thing I want to emphasize though.   Other than a possible o-ring issue, there are a number of other things to check for in regards to oil seeping.

1) That space that the distributor plugs into doesn't see a lot of oil pressure.  If you've got a plugged breather hose/baffle then that pressure starts to build under the o-ring.  So if you do see weeping around the o-ring or housing check your baffle and breather hose for sludge.

2) Cracked oil pressure switch.  If you've still got your stock pressure switch back there, its likely to be cracked (given its largely plastic).

3) The little washer with the rubber ID.  #12 11 0 002 735

Your time and energy are appreciated, Andrew. 

I've been following this thread as I purchased an IE distributor some months ago, but have yet to have it installed. I'd like to purchase one of these smaller o-rings. I'll likely add it to a future purchase. Can it be purchased separately? 

Thanks again. 

Thanks Andrew... w/ mine personally, it leaked (very slowly) from that crevace because the O-Ring broke. Not a whole lot of oil, but it did leak. Once re-installed w/ a used O-Ring (flattened slightly) it has not leaked. I have an Oil Catch Can that is ventilating nicely, and the pressure switch is dry.... Just concerned the O-Ring was compimised and will fail at some point... When I first test drove, I was hitting 5k, so possibly adding enough pressure to firce oil through there??

How may I get the different O-Ring you mention?

Thanks-

Scott

Hey Scott,

Truthfully I don't have as much personal experience with this distributor, I have been running the ignitor from one in my stock distributor for about 3 years now. 

I know the groove was machined too high in a past batch but that was all taken care of some time ago.

In regards to the o-ring.  Not running the distributor because of an ill-fitting o-ring is like not wearing a wedding ring because it doesn't fit (rather than taking it to a local jewelry store and re-sized).

In response to this post I pulled out one head and half a dozen of the factory distributor housings   I found that some of the factory housings did vary a little bit on the OD and that the side-relief slot also varied slightly.   Next I grabbed a new distributor from off the shelf.  We have had x2 different o-rings and found that the smaller OD o-ring fit much more frequently than the larger o-ring we've been supplying.

tiidistributor2_zpsecd25d00.jpg

After talking with the guys in shipping we'll be sending out both size o-rings to help mitigate potential o-ring issues.

tiidistributor1_zps7b69bea1.jpg

One more thing I want to emphasize though.   Other than a possible o-ring issue, there are a number of other things to check for in regards to oil seeping.

1) That space that the distributor plugs into doesn't see a lot of oil pressure.  If you've got a plugged breather hose/baffle then that pressure starts to build under the o-ring.  So if you do see weeping around the o-ring or housing check your baffle and breather hose for sludge.

2) Cracked oil pressure switch.  If you've still got your stock pressure switch back there, its likely to be cracked (given its largely plastic).

3) The little washer with the rubber ID.  #12 11 0 002 735

SiteNamecopy.jpg

• 1 month later...

An alternative is to have Advanced Distributors rebuild your current one, or any dizzy you pick up.  On the advice of a few FAQers, that is what I'm doing for my car.

Scott

Scott,

Not really privy to this thread, but it looks like my Tii issues have been my Crane box.  While it's been diagnosed a the shop the last month or so, they discovered that my distributor shaft had play in it too.  They are confirming the Crane box is bad & I think I'm going to ditch the Crane XR700 system all together and try the IE distributor route.  Hopefully the gremlin will finally be slayed!

Mark C.

'74 Tii Atlantik

'74 Golf (RIP)

Not that I have anything against the IE distributor (or dizzys in general), but I've done away with my distributor and gone with Ford EDIS, and I absolutely LOVE it, and it's fairly easy and not that expensive.  And Tom at 02again.com will even sell you a plug and bracket so that you can mount the coil pack (which only costs $23 btw: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0081PAN80/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1) in the original location so it still looks good!

post-32704-0-30304200-1409244264_thumb.j

post-32704-0-73110900-1409244008_thumb.j

Again, not saying anything AGAINST the IE distributor, just another option for the adventuresome 02er who isn't happy with his current ignition.

Bought mine last week, car was already at the shop chasing an electrical gremlin I spent years, they found play in my distributor shaft and a failed Crane XR700 ignition unit.  Killed two birds with one stone with the IE distributor.  Seems like the gremlin was slayed and running well so far.  Happy to finally be back on the road.

Mark C.

'74 Tii Atlantik

'74 Golf (RIP)

Okay; I started this thread a while back and need to update with my experience...I discovered my mystery Chinese made distributor was in fact an IE distributor. When replaced by a correct Bosch tii distributor, the engine ran noticeably better at all engine speeds. Sticking with my points and condenser!

January 30, 1973 Agave tii

April 24, 1974 Chamonix Turbo (German delivery)

• 7 months later...

I've installed an IE distributor and am having an issue with oil leaking from the underside of the housing. I compared the stock distributor to the IE unit and the IE unit has a oiling hole below the seal. The factory distributor does not have this oiling hole. Oil pressure is pushing oil into this oiling hole in the IE distributor and seeping from the underside of the IE distributor housing.

I contacted Andrew at IE. He sent me a new o-ring for the housing but, that's not the issue.

I've searched the FAQ and there was no fix to the issue. Anyone else run into this problem? I'm about ready to put the stock distributor back in.

Proud member #113

The rides!

www.cardomain.com/ride/792851

www.cardomain.com/ride/792793

• 3 weeks later...

Oil hole below the round seal on the shaft of the dizzy? That doesn't sound like that's the cause of oil seeping above the seal...

I've installed an IE distributor and am having an issue with oil leaking from the underside of the housing. I compared the stock distributor to the IE unit and the IE unit has a oiling hole below the seal. The factory distributor does not have this oiling hole. Oil pressure is pushing oil into this oiling hole in the IE distributor and seeping from the underside of the IE distributor housing.

I contacted Andrew at IE. He sent me a new o-ring for the housing but, that's not the issue.

I've searched the FAQ and there was no fix to the issue. Anyone else run into this problem? I'm about ready to put the stock distributor back in.

SiteNamecopy.jpg