• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1966 BMW 1800 TI Alpina

I can assure you that this car will not be molested. I like big hp muscle cars but the history and provenance of this car sounds like it needs to stay all original. I am a car guy and love turning wrenches, I would love to just clean it up and get it functional again but if for some reason I can’t, I’ll make sure it gets into the hands of someone who can.

next to the car that is the best thing about this 'find' - you will have a lot of NK fans breathing a sigh of relief. This truly is the holy grail of Neue Klasse, some would say the TISA, but an 1800Ti modified by Alpina back in the day to TISA or beyond spec is even rarer. I for one have never seen that early Alpina badge mounted on a Ti air box - anyone else?

Clean, polish, refresh and run - shame it'll probably need a re-spray and whilst I'd be tempted to polish what you have I know a short while later I'd decide it deserves some fresh paint.

The tach gauge looks stock 1800ti, but the housing is not. It may very well be Alpina. That housing brings the tack in closer to the driver where it can be easier seen. The water temp gauge may also be Alpina.

Tha tach gauge is as found in the TISA, larger tach and forward mounting. The multi gauge instrument is stock 1800Ti - only these came with an oil gauge as well as the fuel and water temperature.

That would fetch a lot of money in Germany, and probaby the States too.

Good luck and keep everyone posted - there will be a lot of people following this thread.

Cheers, Nick

avaTour2.jpg.52fb4debc1ca18590681ac95bc6f527f.jpg

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm with you Nick

I have a few NK's under which 2 2000ti and my advice would be to get the car running and try to keep the body as is, if possible. I would try my best not to repaint this lovely car.

And same for those amazing tisa wheels

As a good example is the winner of the best of show Le Mans classic heritage cars in 2010. This was some rare one off out of the thirties, but it the original paint, or rather lack of it. But the thing is that it looked soooo real and original it was amazing, you will never get that same feel with a repaint.

4794040562_867a10766a.jpg

Adler Super Trumpf Rennlimousine 1938 by ZANTAFIO56, on Flickr

regrettably my cars as rare as they are do not have that feel, it will always be a repainted restored car.

good luck with your amazing car

Guido

kaschmir 1500 mk1 '63 / chamonix 1600 (4) '65 / bristol 2000ti [rest]'66 / chamonix 2000ti [rest]'67
condor gelb 2002 baur #56 [rest]'71 / nevada 2000 '72 / verona 2002 baur '73

alpine/inka 2002 '73 / malaga 2002 touring '74
chamonix 2002aut '75

Wow! Save her! If you need help with ANYTHING I'm in the triangle area (Durham)... I'd love to see this puppy back on the road. Lucky doesn't even begin to describe you!

1974 Malaga 2002 4282899 "Little Red"

1976 Polaris 2002 2374061 "Rusty Shackleford" 

1998 Dk. Blue Volvo S70 T5 "Carlene"- 221k Miles 

Based on the photos, I will take back my previous comment. What you have isn't TOTAL crap, but it's still crap. The kind of crap one would likely get from a golden goose that eats diamonds and pearls for 3 meals a day, and drinks from the fountain of youth. So pretty normal, really.

It's wonderful to read that you're a wrench turner and car guy. I don't think I can truly appreciate the kind of "Oh JOY!!" surprises you'll experience over the coming months as you research the history of the car, delve into the spare parts inventory, and discuss the provenance with your wife's grandfather. Your situation falls several standard deviations outside of normal human experience. Seems more like serendipity than simply luck.

I'd say I was envious, but at this point I'm more excited to see what you learn about this car. But I'll clear some space in my parts room for that beat up motor if it turns out to be a burden to you and your family.

williamggruff

'76 2002 "Verona" / '12 Fiat 500 Sport "Latte" / '21 Toyota 4Runner TRD Off Road Prem “The Truck”

By the way. Please post this on the NK Forum of this website. That is where it belongs.

We will all follow along if you would please document your findings as you go along. EVERYONE will follow that thread I am sure.

Also, if you were to get it running as is and just take it to a few meets after some clean up...you will really realize how special a car you have.....No need to spend allot of money on that car...you will still get trophies for it the way it is. Get it running =10x value...if you need help MANY folks here would be MORE that happy to help with advice and parts availability.

You should contact ALPINA I bet they would be interested in your car as well.

Good Luck

Rey

I'm a BMW Zombie and there's no cure!

Thanks to everyone for their kind words, suggestions, and offers for help. I had no idea this car was such a find. Knowing this now, it makes me a little nervous having posted a bunch of pictures of the car. I decided to take them down until the car is in a more secure location. If any of you have saved the pictures I ask that you please don’t pass them on to anyone. I know this may seem overly cautious but I don’t need some crazy car guy terrorizing the current owner.

I assure everyone that when the car is in a safer location I will document everything and start a new thread. I’m not sure if I can move this thread to the correct section, that may be something the moderator handles. It may be a few months, but I will definitely keep everyone updated on the progress of this car.

Oh See, I knew it! elaborate hoax to drive us mad! Now who ever is responsible for putting it all together gets the supreme satisfaction of knowing they pulled one over on us. I guess I should start wiping the spittle off of my keyboard.

69coronet440 you are a bad person;-]

Professionals are predictable; it's the amateurs you have to watch out for, you never know what they are gonna do!

Murphy was a Grunt

Thanks to everyone for their kind words, suggestions, and offers for help. I had no idea this car was such a find. Knowing this now, it makes me a little nervous having posted a bunch of pictures of the car. I decided to take them down until the car is in a more secure location. If any of you have saved the pictures I ask that you please don’t pass them on to anyone. I know this may seem overly cautious but I don’t need some crazy car guy terrorizing the current owner.

Bummer, I didn't even get to see the pics of this supposed NK. Wait, it's two more weeks till Aprils Fools Day, hopefully it didn't come early on this thread.

G-Man

74 tii (many mods)
91 318i M42

07 4Runner

Haha, you've got us figured out all wrong.I'm 99.9% positive there's not one of us here that ever even considered that. It's not worth it to anyone that's not part of this greater group, which goes pretty deep. That is one of the best parts about ownership of these older BMW's; extreme comradarie. If that car were to be stolen then put to market, you can be sure you'll see it on this board.

If i were you i'd send this thread toB.B. in Buchloe. I bet he would be excited to see what you have!

71 2002

85 M635

89 327is

98 M3

I would never expect anyone on this board to take malicious actions. I have been a car guy for a long time and know how passionate, thoughtful, and helpful fellow car lovers can be. The fact is anyone can find anything on the internet and that’s what gives me uneasy feelings. I assure everyone here this was not an elaborate hoax. In fact, my wife and I are planning a trip to visit her grandfather in the next few months. I want to document everything he knows about the car and hopefully get some pictures from back in the day.

I would never expect anyone on this board to take malicious actions. I have been a car guy for a long time and know how passionate, thoughtful, and helpful fellow car lovers can be. The fact is anyone can find anything on the internet and that’s what gives me uneasy feelings. I assure everyone here this was not an elaborate hoax. In fact, my wife and I are planning a trip to visit her grandfather in the next few months. I want to document everything he knows about the car and hopefully get some pictures from back in the day.

Please try to find out as much as you can - this car is a nice find that needs saving. Once secure, remove those boxes and paper items from the car. I'm surprised the mice haven't gnawed at them. Make photocopies of everything since old paper yellows and deteriorates.

I did not see if the car has the owner's manual/service booklet/sleeve, but I suspect it may still be in the glove box.

I will be following your updates even if you transfer it to the NK forum.

BMWVisionaries.jpg

18ti_04m.jpg

historybmw19.jpg

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"