• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1966 BMW 1800 TI Alpina

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

OK, let's say for a moment this is not an elaborate hoax in preparation for the 1st of April. The car is a HUGE find in this small world of cognoscenti and while it may not approach the value of a long lost Porsche 356 convertible D with a Carrera engine (only 2 built) It is historically significant with some of the rarest parts, pieces and history. Well documented and presented at the correct venue, I could see it easily bring 6 figures. I have heard a rumor that BMW will be the featured marque at Monterey in 2013, may someone will confirm that?

I think we all understand your position, we just don't want to see it disappear to some collection where we never get to see it in the flesh. A project blog would have a large following, I would follow it and I am not a big NK fan.

At this point I would suggest you stay in touch with some of the experts on this site, Markmac, T. Jones and C.D. come to mind, their knowledge will be very useful in the coming months. Document it, keep it as original as possible and thank Grandpa for having shared such a rare and interesting car. I look forward to seeing more of it in the future.

I really hope you aren't pulling our leg ;-]

Professionals are predictable; it's the amateurs you have to watch out for, you never know what they are gonna do!

Murphy was a Grunt

Wonderful car and what a find!! Glad to see that it's in good hands. Yes, I got to see the pictures before you pulled them down. If you need any help I'd be glad to assist with whatever I can from this side of the country. I know NK's rather well and TiSA parts in particular. This reminds me of the 1800TiSA my Father owns... It was raced in Northern California from new till '69. We hope to get it back on the road this year and vintage race it in the future. If at all possible, you should come out to the Monterey Motorsports Reunion in August 2013 as the featured Marque will be BMW. There will be so many historic BMWs there that weekend that your mind will be on overload...

The German car magazine Auto Motor und Sport did an article comparing the Alpina 1800Ti to the BMW 1800Ti/SA that would be of a great help to you for your archives and information gathering. Dad has a photo copy of part of the article. I'll see what month/year it was for you. ebay.de has many back issues of AMS and once we know what date it was, finding one should be easy.

Dad's TiSA...

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/component/option,com_forum/Itemid,57/page,viewtopic/t,359646

Pictures...

http://s121.photobucket.com/albums/o236/tjones02_bucket/995183_1800TiSA/

Cheers and good luck with your acquisition of this very historic car! Here is my advice as what to do with it, how I would preserve its history...

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/component/option,com_forum/Itemid,50/page,viewtopic/p,923291/highlight,/#923291

Tom Jones

BMW wrench for 30 years, BMWCCA since 1984 at age 9
66 BMW16oo stored, 67 1600-2 lifelong project, 2 more 67-8 1600s, 86 528e 5sp 586k, 91 318i
Mom&Dad's, 65 1800TiSA, 70 2800, 72 2002Tii 2760007 orig owners, 15 Z4 N20

Mark, that's Awesome! Thanks for that link!!

Tom Jones

BMW wrench for 30 years, BMWCCA since 1984 at age 9
66 BMW16oo stored, 67 1600-2 lifelong project, 2 more 67-8 1600s, 86 528e 5sp 586k, 91 318i
Mom&Dad's, 65 1800TiSA, 70 2800, 72 2002Tii 2760007 orig owners, 15 Z4 N20

Mark, that's Awesome! Thanks for that link!!

Tom, your wish is my command - that is a good link though. Not quite as good as the actual article (posted below), which I have somewhere I think. The TiSA kicked the AlpinA's ass I was surprised to see. Maybe I missed it but couldn't tell if they were using 40's or 45's on the ALPINa. Not so much meat on the bone in that article. Gert Hack really got behind the AlpinA brand (I believe he wrote this article) and was a primary mover in giving the AlpinA brand cover time. Was down in OC this weekend so could only watch this great thread from a Blackberry screen.

(By the way, lucky again, Stu called me last week - found the front spoiler, has some damage that I will repair, then mold, then new part for him/me = very happy, thought that was one I might have to make from scratch).

Maybe I missed it but couldn't tell if they were using 40's or 45's on the ALPINa.

the carbs shown on the underside of the first photo are 40's, based on the lack of bolts used to secure the venturies, as found on 45's.

Former owner of 2570440 & 2760440
Current owner of 6 non-op 02's

& 1 special alfa

the revcounter is not the same as the normal ti, this is a special TISA part, it is the same size and look as the revcounter of the 3200 bertone coupe, but that being an 8 cil, with a twist.

kaschmir 1500 mk1 '63 / chamonix 1600 (4) '65 / bristol 2000ti [rest]'66 / chamonix 2000ti [rest]'67
condor gelb 2002 baur #56 [rest]'71 / nevada 2000 '72 / verona 2002 baur '73

alpine/inka 2002 '73 / malaga 2002 touring '74
chamonix 2002aut '75