• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Signal flasher upgrade easy to do & what a difference

02hobiedave

I'm assuming the ebay link was the correct harness? If so I'm on it.

Yes sir it was. if you dont need all 5, go to nappa and they have single units that fit right into the flasher unit (el13). your call really.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

I know this thread is old, but it's a great tutorial for this upgrade, so one thing in case anyone else is looking for it to make things even easier, you can use a jeweler's screwdriver to get the spade connectors out of the stock white plug and then hook the original wires straight to the new flasher terminals and no extra relay socket/wiring needed, just wrap in electrical tape and you're done!

And +1 for FAQ tutorial nomination!

-Carl

• 6 months later...

I thought I would add my two cents to this worthwhile thread. A longtime client of mine with a 76 2002 just had her flasher relay die. The replacement cost was $234.00 for an o.e. unit. She literally cried when I told her. I decided to do my own experiment to see if I could save her some money and have a reasonably priced solution for the future. I grabbed 3 different 3 prong relays from Napa to try.

I used my personal 74 2002 as my test dummy. I removed the 3 wires I need from the original socket with my connector tool. Connecting them on the EL13 relay according to the write-up on page one got me nothing. I then tried the (LIT 50-263 3 $15.49) electronic relay. I connected the black/ white to P, green/yellow to L and green/ violet to X and it worked perfectly. I tried it with both blinkers and hazards resulting with the dash light blinking, too.

I then tried the same connections on the less expensive relay, (NF 550 $6.49). It also worked perfectly, just a smidge slower than the electronic unit, but still fine. So, I may have gotten a bad EL13 relay or it didn't like my wiring arrangement. I tried it every way I could. At least there is an alternative to the insanely priced o.e. unit. I hope this helps other 02 owners. Oh, I zip tied the cheaper relay to the wiper relay with the wires connected on the bottom. 2002 windshields never leak, do they? :P My test car didn't blink inside the car with the rt. blinker on, with the original BMW relay. It does now with both of the Napa ones. That is why I left the Napa unit installed. Now I can call my customer with a plan B that won't break her wallet.

Edited by oh2fly
  • Like 1

I thought I would add my two cents to this worthwhile thread. A longtime client of mine with a 76 2002 just had her flasher relay die. The replacement cost was $234.00 for an o.e. unit. She literally cried when I told her. I decided to do my own experiment to see if I could save her some money and have a reasonably priced solution for the future. I grabbed 3 different 3 prong relays from Napa to try.

I used my personal 74 2002 as my test dummy. I removed the 3 wires I need from the original socket with my connector tool. Connecting them on the EL13 relay according to the write-up on page one got me nothing. I then tried the (LIT 50-263 3 $15.49) electronic relay. I connected the black/ white to P, green/yellow to L and green/ violet to X and it worked perfectly. I tried it with both blinkers and hazards resulting with the dash light blinking, too.

I then tried the same connections on the less expensive relay, (NF 550 $6.49). It also worked perfectly, just a smidge slower than the electronic unit, but still fine. So, I may have gotten a bad EL13 relay or it didn't like my wiring arrangement. I tried it every way I could. At least there is an alternative to the insanely priced o.e. unit. I hope this helps other 02 owners. Oh, I zip tied the cheaper relay to the wiper relay with the wires connected on the bottom. 2002 windshields never leak, do they? :P My test car didn't blink inside the car with the rt. blinker on, with the original BMW relay. It does now with both of the Napa ones. That is why I left the Napa unit installed. Now I can call my customer with a plan B that won't break her wallet.

Good info by all.  David, relay PN 50-263-3, or anything close, doesn't turn up on a NAPA search.  Was it a recent purchase?  Another number on it?  Thanks.

Luis

Luis,

Try NAPA# LIT-263. NAPA also lists the other one that oh2fly mentioned: NF-550.

-Bob

-Bob
(current: 1972 Malaga 2002, VIN 2584644, build date July 26, 1972)

Previous: 1973 Sahara 2002 #2585896 (RIP), 1969 1600, 1971 2002, 1964 Triumph Herald convertible, 1965 Triumph Herald convertible, 1961 Triumph TR3A, 1967 Triumph TR4A-irs, 1959 Austin Healey 100/6, and about 10 other cars (most of which were quite boring)...

My 72 turn signals work properly when using the right side but do not work when turning left.  

BUT! if I leave the left turn signal on for a while (doesn't flash anyways) it eventually starts to work.  I got under the dash thinking that I would upgrade the relay and found out it already has the electronic relay from napa.  I guess it may be bad and needs replacement.   I'll get to it sometime….  for now i'll just activate it 2 blocks before i need to turn haha

Edited by turbophil

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I wanted to bump this thread, because it's such an cheap and easy fix for slow blinkers.  

The '75's signals worked okayyyy.. but they were slooowwwww. I bought the pieces seen on Page 1 at the local auto parts store, and though the new relay plug had the colored wires in different positions, I was able to re arrange them in proper order (so It looked like the pictures... more importantly, I can't freakin' see the tiny numbers on the relays... especially up under the dash). Plugged it in and PRESTO... signals blink in good time and the emergency flashers work perfectly.  I can also hear the flasher clicking to remind me to cancel them...

If you've been waiting to do this... don't hesitate.  It's so easy...

Ed Z

'69 Granada... long, long ago  

'71 Manila..such a great car

'67 Granada 2000CS...way cool

• 9 months later...
On 6/26/2014 at 5:14 PM, oh2fly said:

I connected the black/ white to P, green/yellow to L and green/ violet to X and it worked perfectly. I tried it with both blinkers and hazards resulting with the dash light blinking, too.

thanks for listing the wire colours :) made the task easier :)

picked up what i thought was a sound Verona Red '76

The Refresh Blog: http://www.bmw2002faq.com/blog/155-76-verona-red-refresh/

• 2 months later...

Just finished diagnosing and troubleshooting my 1602 which probably hasn't blinked properly in 25 years!  Among other wiring issues I found while untangling previous owner wiring adventures, I did find that the factory flasher unit had failed, and replaced it with the Napa EL13.  I also tried out the Napa 550 unit, but liked the speed and sound of the EL13 better.  I may end up trying to repair the old unit for originality's sake, but for now, the roundie blinks in style. Thanks for the article!

Anyways, just wanted to add a warning that if your blinkers aren't blinking, you may have an issue with the flasher unit, but you might also have other issues!  

Edited by localhuman