• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Signal flasher upgrade easy to do & what a difference

02hobiedave

16 hours ago, ray_ said:

it never worked for me either.

It also did not work for me.

I had an extra flasher...  Isolated the wire to the instrument panel; Hooked it up in parallel to the extra flasher.  Voila, the main flasher drives the two external turn signal lights and makes the clicking sound, the extra flasher drives the green instrument panel indicator light.  The down side is the "clicks" are not in sync with the flashing panel light.  I can live with that.

19 hours ago, RobD said:

Update.  Followed procedure and external turn signals working, audible clicking in dash now works, but now instrument panel turn signal light went from one flash to no flashes.  Only choice is to hook original relay back up and see if dash light flashes again.

Not sure if this is an accurate statement but seemed to fix my past issue with dash indicator…

I found that having a burnt turn signal bulb or a crappy ground on the turn signals would impact my dash indicator.

Maybe give that a look.

picked up what i thought was a sound Verona Red '76

The Refresh Blog: http://www.bmw2002faq.com/blog/155-76-verona-red-refresh/

On 8/20/2017 at 3:41 PM, RobD said:

Update.  Followed procedure and external turn signals working, audible clicking in dash now works, but now instrument panel turn signal light went from one flash to no flashes.  Only choice is to hook original relay back up and see if dash light flashes again.

image.jpeg

I replaced my flasher last week along with changing to LED bulbs.  My flasher install looked exactly like RobD's including what appears to be the same brand of flasher.  Worked perfectly immediately without any further changes. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dick R said:

I replaced my flasher last week along with changing to LED bulbs.  My flasher install looked exactly like RobD's including what appears to be the same brand of flasher.  Worked perfectly immediately without any further changes. 

Did you keep the ordinal bulb in the instrument panel?

I did not change the instrument panel bulb.  I assume that it's been in there a long time. 

Based on other's previous experience, I was anticipating having the same problem that you found.  It makes no sense that it works on some cars and not in others.   I suppose it could have something to do with the LED bulbs that I'm using, but that doesn't seem very likely.  The directional bulbs that I'm using came from Amazon  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M4OADLZ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I just thought of a potential difference - I didn't change the front directional bulbs, only the rear.   When I initially installed the rear directional bulbs without changing the original BMW flasher, the lights worked but the instrument panel bulb didn't flash (sounds like your situation).  Then I replaced the flasher exactly like you did and everything worked fine. 

1 hour ago, Dick R said:

I did not change the instrument panel bulb.  I assume that it's been in there a long time. 

Based on other's previous experience, I was anticipating having the same problem that you found.  It makes no sense that it works on some cars and not in others.   I suppose it could have something to do with the LED bulbs that I'm using, but that doesn't seem very likely.  The directional bulbs that I'm using came from Amazon  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M4OADLZ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I just thought of a potential difference - I didn't change the front directional bulbs, only the rear.   When I initially installed the rear directional bulbs without changing the original BMW flasher, the lights worked but the instrument panel bulb didn't flash (sounds like your situation).  Then I replaced the flasher exactly like you did and everything worked fine. 

OK.  I still am running all non- LED bulbs.

I am running LED bulbs all around and got mine setup as written and it worked, but the instrumental panel bulb is not flashing. I just have to check my instrumental panel bulb. Other than that, I'm happy that the signal lights are working.0c81381059cdd94ee636ab4471d3a4b3.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

2002cool2

• 1 month later...
On 8/22/2017 at 1:25 PM, Dick R said:

All you did was swap the new (NAPA) flasher with the stock one, nothing else?  I'm installing LEDs and stumped about the four wires on the original but only three blade terminals on the new (Superbrightleds) flasher.  Where does the extra wire go?

The fourth wire on the original flasher is a ground wire which is not needed on the modern flasher.  Like all the others posting on this topic, I had to use a new 3-wire connector to accept the new 3-wire flasher.  Mine works fine with all lights behaving normally, including the emergency flasher and the instrument panel bulb as well.  As I mentioned in an earlier post, perhaps leaving incandescent bulbs in all the front lamps has made mine work normally.  I haven't yet replaced the fronts with LEDs, so I don't know if that makes any difference.  All the rear bulbs are LEDs. 

I am in process of putting in all LED external lights.  I went ahead and also purchased the recommended SuperbrightLed flasher relay with built variable resistor.  Will let you all know how it works after this weekend.

• Like 1

OK, I finalized everything today with superbrightled LED lights AND flasher with built in resistor (on left in pic)--tail, backup, brake, rear turn and front turn.

Here is what happened with all of the above.

1.  Of course, brake, tail, and back up worked.

2.  Front and rear turn signals did not.

3.  Panel indicator did not work...not even the "one" flash.

Replaced the superbrightled provided relay with NAPA/CEC versions (on right in pic).  Here is what happened then.

1.  Front turn signal STILL did not work.

2.  Rear turn sign DOES work.

3.  Panel turn indicator DOES work.

Grrrr...can't seem to get this right.  What do you think Ray?

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Hmm, the fronts and rears are powered by the same 2 fuses. I mean in theory the fronts have power if the rears do (unless, unless ;-) )

I'd look at the front LED's and wiring. The bulb bases look the same as the removed from bulbs? Check and see if you have power to the front wiring. What do the hazard lights do? Post a pic of front LED bases and your turn signal receptacles. 

Your dash indicator? I never got mine to work with any of the electronic relays so don;t ask me :D

Others did have luck, tho. 

Edited by ray_

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.