• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anyone taken a non-race prepped '02 to a 1 day HPD course?

I took a 1 day High Performance Driving class at Pacific Raceway in the early 2000s, and was thinking about doing it again through something like ProFormance.  It's quite a bit cheaper to use your own car, and it would be great to stretch the legs on my car in a way I couldn't/shouldn't on the street.  The minimum requirements are surprisingly simple, but I don't know if I would get strange looks showing up in my '76. That said, I have Ground Control+Koni dampers, Wilwood disks everywhere, and a very recent @kbmb02 rebuilt 10.4:1, weber 38 etc etc...  The 4-speed is passable as is the open diff, and overall there are no leaks from anywhere afaik.

Other than the wear and tear, has anyone else taken their street/non-race 02 for a 1 day course like this?  Worst case is a crash that totals the car, but just about anything else is fixable... 

Is this a stupid idea?

We recommend that you drive your own car to develop a closer relationship with it. However, school vehicles are available if you prefer. If you use your own car we require:

• Brakes should be in excellent condition with a minimum of 50% brake pad remaining.
  • Tires should be in good condition, with adequate tread depth and no “plug repair” to punctures.
  • Seat belts must be present and functional for both driver and passenger seats.
  • Soft top cars must have roll-bar or pop-up roll-over hoop.

•  

• Like 1

I've certainly autox'd my old malaga '75 back in the day. Hardly race prepped and had a blast. Yes your lap times won't be great. 

I'd say who cares what others think! Enjoy the drive in the car you want to drive.

• Like 5

1973 2002tii (2764167), Baikal, Rebuild blog here!

In the past: Verona H&B 1973 2002tii (2762913); Malaga 1975 2002; White 1975 2002

--> Blog: Repro tii cold start relay;   + --> Need an Alpina A4 tuning guide? PM me!

I  have driven on most of the tracks on the West coast with my 72 TII.  Good suspension and brakes are a must.  Make sure your brake fluid is fresh and be prepared to rebuild your brakes afterword.

My first track was the Nurnberg ring 50 years ago and my first US track was what is now known as Pacific Raceway.

• Like 3

Not quite a track day, but I ran my bone stock 74 tii at a car control clinic put on by the CCA in Colorado.  Great fun, and a couple instructors claimed it was their favorite car when it was time to jump in.  Give it a shot - the real beauty of HDPE is the only person you’re competing against is your own brain. Don’t stress about the point bys, and you’ll probably learn more about vehicle management than any of the folks with faster cars running at 70% of their potential.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1987 E28 535is -- Buttercup

1974 2002tii -- Pretty Penny

1994 E34 M5 -- Horehund

2001 E36/7 M Roadster -- Shaggy

I'd pack extra gas and get on the track when ever you can, you'll have the time of your life, just remember you're there to learn not to wow anybody.

• Like 5

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944

Posted (edited)

I started doing track days in my bone stock 1600 in 1973, that car has more than 12,000 track miles over the years.  I started off on 165/13 M401 Semprit tires no sway bars, stock springs and Koni shocks and a 1 bbl carb.  Learn how to drive a slow car fast and you will be fast in everything you drive. 

Driving a slow car fast is a lot harder than driving a fast car slow.  

Make sure your brakes have lots of pad left, bleed them.  Make sure the battery is tied down securely.  Do a full inspection.  Then have fun. 

Edited by Preyupy
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1970 1602 (purchased 12/1974)

1974 2002 Turbo

1988 M5

1986 Euro 325iC

Posted (edited)

I agree with all comments above, if your car is safe and has good brakes and passes the tech inspection, go for it!

The above comments about faster modern cars are prescient, though, you'll need to be comfortable with focusing on your own driving while watching your mirrors and pointing by to let cars pass on the designated straights.

That said, one of the main reasons I got out of instructing during Porsche club (POC and PCA) track events a while ago was the increasing instance of newbie yahoos showing up in the latest iteration of a brand new 911 Turbo or GT3 or whatnot without any semblance of restraint or consideration for the person sitting in the passenger seat. No amount of electronic stability control nor AWD/sticky tires will save one at a certain point . . . .

Any new or rusty HPDE drivers would benefit by learning to drive in a "momentum" car, whether it be a BMW 02 or E30, Porsche 944 or base 986 Boxster or Miata or whatnot.

Edited by cda951
  • Like 3

Chris A
---'73 2002tii Chamonix w/ flares, sunroof, 15x7s, LSD, Bilstein Sports w/ H&R springs, upgraded sway bars, E21 Recaros
---'86 Porsche 944 Turbo grey street/track car

---'81 Alfa Romeo GTV6 rescued from junkyard, Lemons Rally/"GT" car

No it is not a stupid idea.  Have fun! 

It will be hard on the brakes, so carry fluid, so you can bleed them after the fluid boils. The brake pads/shoes will likely fade as well. 

Or defocus on the braking, and focus on cornering speed, keeping that accelerator down, and getting the steering straight as soon as possible. Quicker times are achieved on the accelerator than the brakes!

Regards

Dono

• Like 4

Fantastic advise all around!  Thank you all for that.  Doing a good pre-inspection would be great even for confident regular daily driving.  Also, good to know about bringing extra brake fluid!  Anyone run DOT 5.1? 

And I completely concur about driving a slow car fast.  You can't hide your lack of skill with horsepower.  Plus I would argue that its more fun too! 

When I did the driving day forever ago, it was in a Chevy Cavalier with a roll cage and good brakes, but basically no other mods. It was super fun. 

• Like 1

All good info above. I looked at the link you posted and you're going to have an instructor with you for the lapping sessions so I wouldn't even stress about getting passed. In an event like this you're not going to have any questionable passing situations. They'll have safety protocols and the instructor will be there to assist (in your car and the faster passing cars). 

I will second the brakes...would be a good idea to flush and install new fluid if its got any age on it. Once you're doing it right you'll cook your stock brakes. Fluid will boil and leave you without brakes, so be careful. First time I did one of these in my daily (in 2004 with my 2004 Infiniti g35) I came into the pits and pedal went to the floor when I tried parking lol. Luckily I was going slow and grabbed the e-brake. 

Look the car over. Any cooling system components with age will be pushed and could fail when driven hard. Besides the brakes you should also bring spare rad hoses and coolant. Your car will run a lot hotter when pushed. You should bring extra motor oil as well.

After a few trackdays with the G35 I ended up buying a Miata for a track car. It is VERY fun driving a momentum car. Over the years that escalated to racing spec Miata lol. Slippery slope and all that. I sold the Miata a few years ago (and still regret it). It was watching vintage B Sedan racing in person that inspired me to buy a 2002, and I still intend to run it at the track when I have it sorted. 

HAVE FUN!

image.thumb.png.3a2e7cde2898217c6d312eebbf30460c.png

• Like 2

2003 e39 M5 (daily)

1986 e30 325es (sons car)

1972 2002tii (fun daily alternative)

Posted (edited)

@wheelieking let me know when you're planning on taking your class. My daughter and I just completed the BMWCCA car control class at PRI in her e36 318ti and now we're ready to take our first HDPE class. Her in her e36, me in my 2002

Edited by Teelinger
  • Like 2

1987 Porsche 944 Turbo (sold)
1973 Mintgrun 2002 "Kermit" (sold)

1973 Inka 2002 "Ernie"

1986 VW Vanagon Syncro Weekender "Otto Van Gonzo"

If you're a BMW CCA member (or you can join) you can sign up for one of their driving schools; chapters hold 'em all over the country where there are race tracks.  I'm sure there are schools in Washington State where you live.  

I did one in my 73 2002 (at Mid Ohio) when the car had 142,000 miles on its original engine, with H rated street tires, stock springs, Bilstein shocks and (I think) a 19mm front sway bar.  The car (and I) did just fine, and we both had a great time.  Didn't scare the ride-along instructor even once!

You'll have to get the car tech inspected just to make sure it doesn't leak fluids, the brakes are good, the tires aren't worn out, and the suspension won't dismantle itself...but you wouln't want to stress an unsafe car on the track...So go for it.  Great fun, and you'll learn stuff--about yourself and your car.

mike

• Like 1

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite