• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Went to clean fuel pump screen and found this…

In trying to track down my running issue, went to clean pump screen, per forum suggestion, to find this rat’s nest with what appears to be an aftermarket electric pump of some variety. 🤦🏻‍♂️ Any insight from the photos of what pump this is? Absolutely going to fabricate a correct bracket for this. I’ve attached a video, is the sound coming from the pump what would be considered normal? I thought I used to recall it would make noise on start up then quiet down if recollection serves me right, but now sound is constant. Thanks in advance!

IMG_9590.jpeg

IMG_9587.jpeg

IMG_9586.jpeg

IMG_9588.jpeg

Just a little more information, please...tii or carbureted?  If the former, does this pump replace the OEM tii electric pump?  And if the latter, is the mechanical pump still functioning or has it been bypassed/eliminated?  Usually an electric pump is installed in a carbureted car to replace a dead mechanical pump, or to quickly refill the carburetor when the car's been sitting for awhile, thus eliminating having to prime it.

And I'm hopeful that the braided cloth-covered hose in your third picture is no longer actively involved in fuel movement; if original it's way past it use-by date and should be replaced.  

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

It looks to be a tii with that accumulator you need to check your delivered fuel pressure it needs to be 28-29 psi. As Mike said remove the cloth covered hose and replace with new fuel injection rated hose. And nothing against wire ties but you can make a better bracket than that.

• Like 1

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944

36 minutes ago, Mike Self said:

Just a little more information, please...tii or carbureted?  If the former, does this pump replace the OEM tii electric pump?  And if the latter, is the mechanical pump still functioning or has it been bypassed/eliminated?  Usually an electric pump is installed in a carbureted car to replace a dead mechanical pump, or to quickly refill the carburetor when the car's been sitting for awhile, thus eliminating having to prime it.

And I'm hopeful that the braided cloth-covered hose in your third picture is no longer actively involved in fuel movement; if original it's way past it use-by date and should be replaced.  

mike

Mike, it’s a 1973 tii. Mechanical pump has been eliminated and this is in its place, located behind rear right wheel at subframe. Yes, totally agree about hose replacement, it’s definitely in the plan along with cleaning this all up. 

This looks like the standard tii fuel pump setup but the pump itself is a later style Bosch replacement. The later pumps aren't all the same size, so it seems somebody got creative to secure it under there. The noise you hear could well be because the pump or output piping has shifted so it's touching the body. Originally that fuel pump bracket is on rubber isolators to keep the noise down.

• Like 1

'59 Morris Minor, '67 Triumph TR4A, '68 Silver Shadow, '72 2002tii, '73 Jaguar E-Type,

'73 2002tii w/Alpina mods , '74 2002turbo, '85 Alfa Spider, '03 Lotus Elise

12 minutes ago, dlacey said:

This looks like the standard tii fuel pump setup but the pump itself is a later style Bosch replacement. The later pumps aren't all the same size, so it seems somebody got creative to secure it under there. The noise you hear could well be because the pump or output piping has shifted so it's touching the body. Originally that fuel pump bracket is on rubber isolators to keep the noise down.

That’s a great thought, I’ll see about isolating it to see if the noise changes. Should know a lot more once I’m able to test pressure tomorrow. Thanks!

You can use a bit of rubber around the e28 will make it fit the original bracket, there's a thread on it here in the archives.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944

On 3/13/2024 at 3:43 PM, SydneyTii said:

I scrapped all of the original Tii stuff and fitted an e28 pump, been on there for more than 10 years never missed a beat.

My tii fuel pump was very noisy and on its last legs so I did the same almost two years ago, OEM tii fuel pumps have reached unobtanium status and if you find one, they are obscenely expensive. I followed Keith Kreeger's write up https://www.my2002tii.com/tii-fuel-pump_how-to.htm   with a E28 fuel pump that I bought for about $100 https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw-electric-fuel-pump-69418  No issues since.

• Like 1

74 tii (many mods)
91 318i M42

07 4Runner

I did the Keith Kreeger replacement method in 2011, not a problem since.  

I cut a rubber strip from an old inner tube and wound it around the fuel pump to take up the spacing in the original mounting bracket .... still there, still doing the job.

Cheers.

Carl

• Like 3