• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tales from the market place

conkitchen

I've experienced similar "interested parties" on FB. I'm rather surprised you even bothered with CL.

It's happened to me with almost everything I've tried to sell, from a 2002 to a $15 bicycle pump. The anonymity of a keyboard emboldens everyone, and TV shows and Youtube have taught them all to negotiate hard and lowball. The fact that they then argue with us about the value of the item is a new twist. Anonymity.

I sold a golf bag on FB for $65 and arranged a public meetup. When the time came, the guy handed me 3 twentys. I told him we had agreed to $65. His response was most people would negotiate and take less. I handed the 3 twentys back and he looked at me like I was crazy.

It wasn't the 5 bucks, it was point of the matter. He actually had to go back to his car to get another $5. These people are unbelievable.

• Like 6

1974 2002 Tii-SOLD

1978 911SC Coupe

1988 Landcruiser

2020 M2 CS

Ever the contrarian...I have to admit I've had pretty good success both buying and selling--primarily on Craigslist (I don't do Facebook) or just with a sign on the object for sale--if it's mobile.  

The last five used cars I've bought over the past 20 or so years--3 winter beaters and two really nice E30s--were accomplished without any wailing or gnashing of teeth on either side, and when I sequentially sold four of 'em, the sales went smoothly--and I actually made a small profit each time.

We don't buy new cars very often (1969, 1985, 1991, 2007) but I actually enjoy dealing with new car salespeople--I make sure I know their product better than they do, and I have the knowledge that they need to sell the car worse than I need to buy it. 

That works when buying/selling most anything--unless you really, really want it.  Then so long as the price isn't stupid (or maybe even if it is), just buy it or you'll spend a lot of time regretting not doing so.

mike

• Like 5

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

My mantra is, "no negotiation until you see the item".  I tell the buyers in the advertisement and they still try and negotiate over the phone or via email.  The above is my response.  This shows them you're legit and them showing up means they're legit.  

Murph

• Like 5

As with everything else, you get what you pay for with CL and FB.  The people who shop there are neither the dregs or the best people on earth (although both ends of the spectrum are sometimes found there).  When you sell a house, you hire a real estate agent, and pay handsomely for their service - and expect that person to do their job of pre-screening, showing, contract writing, etc.  Ain't no such service being provided with free online ads.  Since buyers identities can be hidden, they can feel free to be jerks.  And do in plenty of cases.  You also get to deal with all the versions of online scamming.  That doesn't mean that there aren't honest sincere decent people shopping there, but you need to sort them from the rest along the way.  Just like you'd sort out acquaintances to find friends.

There are plenty of auto sales-for-a-commission people out there for sellers who choose to not bother with buyers.  Or, you earn the equivalent of their commission by doing it yourself - there also ain't no free lunches.

• Like 1

I certainly understand the OP's frustration. I've bought and sold countless items off CL, cars, trucks, motorcycles, et cetera and every time I list something for sale I take a deep breath and mutter "here goes..", as I too don't like the first words out of a perspective buyer's mouth to be "what's the lowest you'll take".

I bought my 74 tii from a CL add last July. The price was mid thirties, I responded at the three week mark. I was familiar with that very car, as I recognized that it was owned by a good friend who had it from the late nineties to maybe 2004. I'd driven it back then, she drove beautifully as well as looked excellent, and still does. I contacted the seller, had a nice long chat with him. I called him a few days later (ad was still up) and asked if he was at all flexible with the price. He asked what I had in mind, and I told him high twenties. He said come on over, we could talk. 

Two days later the car was mine, fair deal for both parties.

• Like 3

75 2002 (atlantik) 1990 - 1993

73 2002 tii (malaga) 1994 - 2017

74 2002 tii (verona) 2023 - present

I recently sold my '65 VW Bug and went through all what the OP stated.Eventually it sold on Ebay but what a hassle! I bought my recent '76 02 on FB mktplace but didn't make an offer until I saw it in person.

'67 Derby Grey VW Beetle

'76 Inka BMW 2002

On 12/19/2023 at 8:42 PM, Lucky 7 said:

If you were looking to the Craig or Faceytweets to restore your faith in humanity, you erred so egregiously that basic wisdom would suggest a complete audit of every decision you’ve ever made in your life leading to this point.  Logic this flawed can only be burned away by the searing, agonizing fires of sagacious introspection.

^^^ Great post.

Did you not post the car for sale here on the FAQ?

This it?

SFBAY.CRAIGSLIST.ORG

Sell this 1972 2002 BMW that I just recentlypurschased. Unfortunately I don’t have the time nor space to work on another project car. Car does run was told that it has 8k miles on a fresh motor and...

Max-

73' BMW 2002

Member # 2329

On 12/21/2023 at 7:54 AM, CoastalCrush said:

Did you not post the car for sale here on the FAQ?

This it?

SFBAY.CRAIGSLIST.ORG

Sell this 1972 2002 BMW that I just recentlypurschased. Unfortunately I don’t have the time nor space to work on another project car. Car does run was told that it has 8k miles on a fresh motor and...

Not the car, this listing came up a few days after mine so I took it down and went on FB, which this is there as well.  Likely the same family of "serious buyers" will blow wind up his skirt.  🤣

Mine is now gonna be my winter project. Already started stripping it for paint.  Oh well, someone will now have to pay a lot more for the car come Spring.  

Reason for not listing it here, I have too much respect for the FAQ. 

But what do I know

On 12/19/2023 at 3:28 PM, conkitchen said:

Like many of you, I enjoy a little project car now and then. Rejoice comes in selling it someday knowing you did some work (maybe a lot) and past it along. I too have been known to rescue one or two cars from the brink. In the case of 2002's perhaps it's more like several. Reason is I like the challenging process of finding and resuscitating old cars.  Before computers and kizmatics and such.  Makes one feel like they can actually accomplish something rewarding in a world bent on optics and finding the cheat codes.   

OK off the melancholy soap box and into the meat of this post.  

I had a 2002 for sale recently with the asking price of $13K. Without going into the great detail of the car, it is a driver with a few nice upgrades. However still needing some sorting-don't they all, and has a heavy patina. A complete paint job is in it's future if one wants to have pride above a slack jaw high school kid with no job.  It is though; a decent foundation, and solid with good bones. 

That being said, I listed the car for sale on the rank and file CL and then FB. Both formats proved interesting with prospective parties negotiating almost immediately.  Of course right after answering the obligatory "is this still available" on a post maybe a day(s) old. Next to follow was the low ball offers. Mind you, sight unseen. Each offer-as lame as they were, had the caveat that they are a "serious buyer with cash in hand". This proclamation by many a would-be-buyer was as low as 60% to as high as maybe 40% below asking price.  Not one person attempted to make plans to see the car first.  Several of them actually live within a 1.5 hour drive or less.  The hardest low baller even persisted to offer the same amount as three offers which I informed him I had received. When I asked what's different about his same dollar offer over the others? The reply was because he is serious.  Does he know the others? are they all working in concert?  Is this person somehow a clairvoyant?  Might I add, his serious offer was contingent on inspection.  

Each had a style of negotiations designed to somehow make me see the error in my ways. Get me to see that this car is nothing of the value I think it is. And perhaps convince my delusional mind they should be given the best deal cause that's all they feel comfortable spending.  I say this because one such "buyer" right after asking if "still available" 

proceeded with the question "why am I asking so much"  

It's real strange out there today. I get folks have budgets and want to find a good deal perhaps. But the lack of decorum and seemingly outward egotistical communication style has me in a quandary.  

* disclaimer, this next bit is for entertainment purposes only and not meant to signify my mental state.

Go ahead troll and bully me into some social media shame space.  Everyone except Ray and that other guy here on the forum, you know who you are.  

see tag line below.  

Of the few cars I have purchased over time, I learned that you make all your money on the front end.  The chances of you deciding on the perfect value-enhancing bits during your refurbishment to appeal to a specific buyer are close to zero. 

Unfortunately, it is a zero-sum game, so for you not to loose your shirt when you sell it, it means that someone else has to when you buy it. 

From what I can tell, the biggest ROI you will see in your auto investment is making a non-running car, run.  Even if you have something super desirable in bad shape, for us it would be an Alpina, or Turbo,  by the time you restore it, you are looking at a 10-15% ROI, years of work, and all the risk of someone flaking out with $10K of your cash and your slide throttle setup. 

If you get a mid 70's 02 basket case for $2500-3000, you would spend a month, and once it is running, you could sell it for 5-7K.  It wouldn't be perfect  and would need some bodywork, but someone will pick it up, and you would get in the neighbourhood of 50-70% ROI.  

"Goosed" 1975 BMW 2002

What's the harm in stating your price is firm and you won't entertain offers, or won't entertain offers unless the prospective buyer has viewed the car?

...I think you just like beating yourself up and then having a cry.

:D

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

1 hour ago, Dudeland said:

Unfortunately, it is a zero-sum game, so for you not to loose your shirt when you sell it, it means that someone else has to when you buy it

Boiled down into a single sentence, good job!

I haven't sold an 02 in like 30 years so I can only imagine the changes, back then I was clueless any way.

One thing I am relatively certain about is I will never get back what I invested.. Forget about my time, talking parts and labor only. Good thing that wasn't my expectation, and I'm probably not done being the loser in the zero sum game. Really want to get Survivor in for a refinish, new glass, seals all round plus as required bits, try getting a return on that. 😉

Edited by tech71
  • Like 2

76 2002 Survivor

71 2002 Franzi

85 318i  Doris

5 hours ago, ray_ said:

What's the harm in stating your price is firm and you won't entertain offers, or won't entertain offers unless the prospective buyer has viewed the car?

...I think you just like beating yourself up and then having a cry.

:D

Call me Whaaambulance would ya

But what do I know