• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tales from the market place

conkitchen

Like many of you, I enjoy a little project car now and then. Rejoice comes in selling it someday knowing you did some work (maybe a lot) and past it along. I too have been known to rescue one or two cars from the brink. In the case of 2002's perhaps it's more like several. Reason is I like the challenging process of finding and resuscitating old cars.  Before computers and kizmatics and such.  Makes one feel like they can actually accomplish something rewarding in a world bent on optics and finding the cheat codes.   

OK off the melancholy soap box and into the meat of this post.  

I had a 2002 for sale recently with the asking price of $13K. Without going into the great detail of the car, it is a driver with a few nice upgrades. However still needing some sorting-don't they all, and has a heavy patina. A complete paint job is in it's future if one wants to have pride above a slack jaw high school kid with no job.  It is though; a decent foundation, and solid with good bones. 

That being said, I listed the car for sale on the rank and file CL and then FB. Both formats proved interesting with prospective parties negotiating almost immediately.  Of course right after answering the obligatory "is this still available" on a post maybe a day(s) old. Next to follow was the low ball offers. Mind you, sight unseen. Each offer-as lame as they were, had the caveat that they are a "serious buyer with cash in hand". This proclamation by many a would-be-buyer was as low as 60% to as high as maybe 40% below asking price.  Not one person attempted to make plans to see the car first.  Several of them actually live within a 1.5 hour drive or less.  The hardest low baller even persisted to offer the same amount as three offers which I informed him I had received. When I asked what's different about his same dollar offer over the others? The reply was because he is serious.  Does he know the others? are they all working in concert?  Is this person somehow a clairvoyant?  Might I add, his serious offer was contingent on inspection.  

Each had a style of negotiations designed to somehow make me see the error in my ways. Get me to see that this car is nothing of the value I think it is. And perhaps convince my delusional mind they should be given the best deal cause that's all they feel comfortable spending.  I say this because one such "buyer" right after asking if "still available" 

proceeded with the question "why am I asking so much"  

It's real strange out there today. I get folks have budgets and want to find a good deal perhaps. But the lack of decorum and seemingly outward egotistical communication style has me in a quandary.  

* disclaimer, this next bit is for entertainment purposes only and not meant to signify my mental state.

Go ahead troll and bully me into some social media shame space.  Everyone except Ray and that other guy here on the forum, you know who you are.  

see tag line below.  

Edited by conkitchen
  • Like 10

But what do I know

It all comes down to the buyer, an educated buyer of sorts in my opinion will have expectations as to what the car should be worth upon physical review and would then adjust that value as needed accordingly. The problem with internet buyers is they typically focus on value only, hence the negotiation right off the bat absent a physical inspection. I recently bought a shell and was Ok with the asking price prior to review. On physical inspection a few things didn't check out to meet the value expectations in my view placed by the seller. I made an offer and explained my rationale, it's up to the buyer to accept/reject and both parties truly know one another and have a vested interested. This is how a deal should work as you note. The internet offers are worth the effort they have put into them just as you noted and not grounded on actual work; so worth very little :)

• Like 3

1973 2002tii Taiga

1969 2002 Chamonix

Geez dude, not bullying or shaming but why are you so thin skinned?

you get bent out of shape regularly when some clown/ troll messes with you.

Screw them, that’s what “delete” and “block” are for.

Screw FB as well, I would rather poke myself in the eye than ever set foot there.

On CL, I immediately delete “ still available?” contacts.

Lost any expectations about people behaving decently long ago, now when it does happen it’s a nice surprise

Edited by tech71
  • Haha 2

76 2002 Survivor

71 2002 Franzi

85 318i  Doris

9 minutes ago, tech71 said:

Geez dude, not bullying or shaming but why are you so thin skinned?

you get bent out of shape regularly when some clown/ troll messes with you.

Screw them, that’s what “delete” and “block” are for.

Screw FB as well, I would rather poke myself in the eye than ever set foot there.

Lost any expectations about people behaving decently long ago, now when it does happen it’s a nice surprise

It's called "flow" I believe in the coder/programer world, Steve can correct me.  I do this and the other thing, not because they are easy, but because they are hard. 

What else are we gonna talk about here, valuations and what rims fit? 

Edited by conkitchen
  • Like 1

But what do I know

I once had a Volkswagen GTI that I bought brand new in 92. I drove that car everywhere for 14 years. I took good care of it, and it still looked like new when I sold it in 2006. Unfortunately, those cars were cheap used in 2006 regardless of condition. Selling that car was very frustrating. Every kid for miles around would contact me through CL and make low ball offers. I had just bought my 72 2002 back then and the GTI had to go to make room for a more family friendly vehicle. I practically gave it away. I wish I still had that car. It was a lot of fun to drive. I rarely see any on the road anymore. I think all the kids trashed them and sent them to the crusher.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

That's funny, i deal in antiques and absolutely love some fellas, sellers quite often have no clue what they have let alone what it's worth and are quite happy to accept that fact, so next question is normally what will you give me for it, my response is a detailed valuation of what i think the item is and it's value, there response to this is....oh no no no it worth much more than that...wtf you had no idea a minute ago now your an expert, good luck and good bye.

Buyers are always experts, and know instantly without even seeing an item that it's overpriced !!!

Good luck

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tech71 said:

The contact statement that irritates me the most is : "Whats the lowest price you will take?" 

My usual answer: "Today? full price, ask me again in a few weeks" Twits....

My response is "what is the most you will pay"?

• Like 3

Chris B.

'73 ex-Malaga

This is the classic.. no pun intended… case of selling value. How do you sell a pen to someone? The seller is going to use terms like patina, upgrades, vintage, just needs some tlc.. the buyer is going to pick apart with statements like, looks like it’s going to need some work, the tires are bald, oh what is that oil there.. then there’s the starting offer, counter offer, best last offer and walk away… with both parties starting at their respective dollar amounts to get to a mutually agreed price… there will be tension which is understandable, silence and harboring your information is key.. too much info as a seller and the buyer will use this info to low ball. Keep emotions intact, hold your ground.. you should get somewhere close to what you are asking for.. within the range of reason.

The key is getting the customer to see the car, that’s when their emotions will be in your favor… they low ball over social media and texting, get them to see, smell, hear the car, you got this.

If they are truly interested, they will come to you..  if you are in no rush to sell you got nothing too lose, time will be on your side and you can wait for an offer that is fair.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, larry_in_socal said:
6 minutes ago, larry_in_socal said:

The seller is going to use terms like patina, upgrades, vintage, just needs some tlc.. the buyer is going to pick apart with statements like, looks like it’s going to need some work, the tires are bald, oh what is that oil there.. then there’s the starting offer, counter offer, best last offer and walk away… with both parties starting at their respective dollar amounts to get to a mutually agreed price… there will be tension which is understandable, silence and harboring your information is key.. too much info as a seller and the buyer will use this info to low ball. Keep emotions intact, hold your ground.

Ah so....The Zen Art of negotiations wars in a nutshell, well put.

I didn't really know much about it until later in life when I spent 12 years in Germany.

I went to as many Flea Markets / Auto Swaps as I could, there were some masters of the art there.

• Like 1

76 2002 Survivor

71 2002 Franzi

85 318i  Doris

If you were looking to the Craig or Faceytweets to restore your faith in humanity, you erred so egregiously that basic wisdom would suggest a complete audit of every decision you’ve ever made in your life leading to this point.  Logic this flawed can only be burned away by the searing, agonizing fires of sagacious introspection. 

Which reminds me, anybody know if I can fit 16s on my car?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3