• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

tii

Is there a list of vins or Can so

Is there a list of vins or Can someone verify my car is originally a tii, that it has not been modified or replaced front end.

S# 2780915

thank you

Is there a list of vins or Can someone verify my car is originally a tii, that it has not been modified or replaced front end.

S# 2780915

thank you

meone verify my car is originally a tii, that it has not been modified or replaced front end.

S# 2780915

thank you

And… VIN 2780915 was likely manufactured in January 1974, according to RealOEM.com (print screen below).

BMW Group Archives, with an email and your car’s VIN to 

hdz.info@bmwgroup.com

can confirm the precise manufacturing date, the date that title was delivered by BMW AG to Hoffman Motors Corp., and the original exterior.

But you also seem to be concerned that, for instance, a front clip from a tii has been transplanted onto anther sub-model. Are there particular reasons why you believe this might be a VIN-changed chassis? Confirmation of the factory color by Archives might also help you confirm the car’s origins.

Regards,

Steve

0C74F874-3A80-45DC-916C-932435BF46D0.jpeg

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

There are 4 places to look for the VIN and they must all match. If any of them are off, it's a red flag. Not necessarily a death knell, but warrants further investigation.

VIN Tag

Vin stamping on right front fender

Vin stamping on engine block

Vin tag on top of steering wheel column

1974 2002 Tii-SOLD

1978 911SC Coupe

1988 Landcruiser

2020 M2 CS

If you find a snorkel nose on your car, look carefully at the seams where the nose panel assy is joined to and lapped over the inner fender tops.  That seam should be visible and smooth--no spot weld dimples, and no welds across the the two panels.  Finding either of the first two means that the nose assy has probably been replaced.

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

4 hours ago, NYNick said:

There are 4 places to look for the VIN and they must all match. If any of them are off, it's a red flag. Not necessarily a death knell, but warrants further investigation.

VIN Tag

Vin stamping on right front fender

Vin tag on top of steering wheel column

And U.S. cars, from 1970(?) onward, got a stick-on VIN tag, with manufacturing date, on the rear panel of the driver’s door (first photo, of my ‘76). 

Of course, not everyone has treated these Federally-mandated stickers with due respect (second photo, of my ‘73 🙄). And when driver’s doors are replaced, these stickers are almost never transferred to the new door.

Regards,

Steve

974EB09F-D113-47C0-8C2B-925AFB5B6B9A.jpeg

E974522B-B06B-4E66-A1D6-21B6EFF0E631.jpeg

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

17 minutes ago, Conserv said:

And U.S. cars, from 1970(?) onward, got a stick-on VIN tag, with manufacturing date, on the rear panel of the driver’s door (first photo, of my ‘76). 

Of course, not everyone has treated these Federally-mandated stickers with due respect (second photo, of my ‘73 🙄). And when driver’s doors are replaced, these stickers are almost never transferred to the new door.

Regards,

Steve

974EB09F-D113-47C0-8C2B-925AFB5B6B9A.jpeg

E974522B-B06B-4E66-A1D6-21B6EFF0E631.jpeg

s-l400.jpg
WWW.EBAY.COM

Numbers will be perforated or printed (depends on the date manufactured) as they were on the...

this guy has helped me in the past. He did a great job too. 

• Like 2

some cars

some motorcycles

some airplanes

some surfboards

This is more of a standing light- yellow flag held by a bored corner worker-

these were never 'numbers matching' collectible cars, so all it means

is that you probably had a replacement engine at some point.

If it's a non- VIN stamping, it often means a motor rebuilt by BMW.

t

Edited by TobyB

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

really Toby? so if my tii is a numbers matching car (and it is), that does not add to it's value? I would think it would.

I'd argue that replacing body panels/nose clips etc on a 50 year old car that was prone to rust does not harm the value as long as the body shop gets it back together correctly (like it was from the factory).

george

Edited by gwb72tii

72 2002tii

1988 535is  “Maeve”